Searched my yard today for the 1st time!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather was wet but mild again here in Rhode Island today, so I left early this morning and hit the beach. Nothing but clad going on, so I called it quits after an hour and headed home. After another hour of raking the back yard, I grabbed the Pioneer 101 and hit the yard. Covered about 1/4 of the back yard in an hour, came up with a few clads, lots of nails, and a strange find. It was a modern foil coffee bag rolled up and taped up with filament tape. When I cut it open with my trusty pocket knife, I found four keys, two newer ones and two older ones. I am stumped as to how these came to be where they were. I have lived here for four years, and we have never lost keys like this. I believe they belonged to the previous owner, who owned the home since it was built in the early 50's. I can understand someone rolling up their spare keys and hiding them in the back yard under a rock, or some prominent landscape feature as backups, but these were well off the beaten path, smack dab ib the middle of the lawn, about 4" down! Who knows, some mysteries will forever go unsolved! Nothing great, just keys and clads, but I thought the keys were an interesting find!

Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Any place on the property with any old locks that might be hidding some cache to be opened by your new found keys?

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
All I find when I search my yard is shell casings.....all kinds... .22, 30/30, 30.06, .308, .223, 7.62x54 ::) Bikers owned the place before we bought it, so theres no telling what I might find. I did find 3 pennies Sunday...and of course more bullets.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bergie, nice thought, but no. My house is a standard rasied ranch, no sheds or outbuildings. I think the keys were to the old locks on the house. We changed em all when we bought it, so there is no testing that theory. Wish there were a logical reason for finding them there, but I can't imagine why they would put them where they were. Must have been lost off the deck somehow. I'm going to continue the search tommorow, weather permitting. It's more interesting than the local beach pulling up more clad, lol! I'll post here if anything else interesting turns up!

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like someone water/weather proofed them then buried them and paced off the location according to landmarks on the property. Must have been to something they held dear to go to the trouble. Interesting for sure. 8)

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Sounds to me like the mentality of the previous owners was to hide their valuables. Might be worth taking a little extra time in searching this yard, (and the interior of the home). However, I don't think it's time to start ripping out walls yet???

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it make sense that someone put them there on purpose. The coffe bag they were in was foil, and was fairly modern, as were two of the four keys. I can't imagine that they were just dropped and somehow managed to stay lost long enough to wind up 4" down. Not enough evidence to start tearing the walls down quite yet, lol, but I'll rake another 1/4 of my back yard today and then check it out. After I hit the local beach again this morning that is! I'm off from work this week, so I'm getting in a lot of detecting time. I'll check in later to hopefully post some interesting beach/yard finds! Good hunting!

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I raked some more and detected some more of my back yard today. Ended up with another handful of old nails, an old electrical junction box, and a small round metal blank the size of a dime (I thought I had my first old coin, DOH!). I still have the rest of the backyard, the front and both side yards to search. which I'll be doing over the rest of the week. Thanks for all the responses! I'll let you all know if anything good turns up.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I hot another corner of my yard today, and finally came away with a coin older than me, lol! Found a 1960 penny, a 1951 D wheatie, and a weird copper or brass round object that looks like a copper crush gasket used in plumbing. The wheatie was my FIRST old coin, and although its a very minor find, it got me going! If the yard held a wheatie, then it also holds silver!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go treasurekidd!Keep on searchin that yard,like you said where there's a wheatie there's silver! ;)Good luck!

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
I hunted my yard for about twenty minutes when I got my detector. The house was built in the 70's and was a pasture before that. I got allot of hits but the grass is really thick and a real pita. I might hunt it again to get better at cutting plugs and leaving the lawn as good as when I started.? I think it will be mostly trash from when my house was built but you never know. I guess thats what is so intriguing about detecting. HH to all.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure they are house keys, at least the two newer ones. Here is a pic of them, the two on the left are obviously newer keys, the two at right seem a bit older. You guys tell me. I wouldn't know a house key from a bank key from a piano key. Thanks!

Attachments

• keys.JPG
    keys.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 369

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the 2 on the left are HOUSE KEYS, I have the exact same type. the other 2 I can't say

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
They all look like house keys to me, I still have one almost exactly like the one on the far right. The second one on the right is interesting since it has a number on it. They are probably extra house keys for various doors, and were buried/hidden in case the owner ever got locked out of the house.

K

KAA

The third is a car key a mopar to be exact... Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth. I have a classic 1970 mopar in the garage with a key very very similar to it.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I hit the rest of my back yard today, and came away with a penny and a dime, both newer coins. Other than that, a steel screw and a window fastener that must have fell off my storm door, because I'm missing one! Swung around to the front yard, and got a lot of nice hits around the driveway and walkway, but the ground was semi frozen a tough to dig, so they'll have to wait until spring. Tommorow is my last weekday of vacation, so I'll spend an hour or two at the local beach, hopefully the sand won't be to frozen! HH!

poppop

Greenie
Nov 29, 2004
Treasure kid,While you have been detecting your yard have you been probing or digging? I can't seem to get the hang of pinpointing and probing,and I'm not going to tear up lawn until I do. Any words of wisdom? Poppop

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Popop, sorry, I have been digging. Just trying to be real careful cutting good size plugs, keeping all of the dirt in a tupperware so it doesn't get all over the surrounding grass. I just pour the dirt back in and place the plug back on top, and no more hole. Most of the holes I made can't even be seen now. The wife still didn't like it, so I said, "How come you yell at me for digging, but not the damn dog?", lol! Anyway, I'm the one who mows, rakes, fertilizes, edges, mulches and gardens in my yard, so I figure I'm entitled to do as bit of digging too! Good luck!

J

Justadad1999

Having been a locksmith, the keys found are all door lock keys and mainly for a house.

Larry-El Paso Tx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread