Nazi medal found!! Plus other goodies.. update on medal!

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Hey guys! Well I decided to go out for a few hours today.. I thought I was gonna get run out of the woods by a local(the spot I was at is close to some trails). He spoke good english and stopped his run to come see what I was up to. He saw the hole I was digging was "too deep", and informed me it is illegal to DIG in this part of germany, but its ok to use a metal detector (go figure right). But I explained to him the forrest guy I came across before didn't mind, and that I always cover up my holes. He said, "well I think what you are doing is ok, just don't cut up roots, etc bec I am a nature lover". So I said thats ok ( i am pretty sure there was a cannon ball under the big roots I uncovered, didn't have a hatchet with me). So he asked what do I expect to find out here, and what have I found. I showed him a musket ball and some grape shot.... and some other junk I found, which helped me since I told him I take any junk I find out of the forest. I showed him the nazi medal, and man did his eyes get big! I asked him to read what it said on it. He said was a medal given to soliders who fought on the EASTERN FRONT 1941-1942! HOW COOL IS THAT?? I was lucky he came along. "A little treasure" he said, so at least the medal was interesting to him. So he just said not to dig tooo deep bec of bombs too. Then he left and I continued to hunt.. here is a list of what I found:

nazi medal
some kind of religious medal (I know the other guys have found these around here, mostly from german soliders who dropped them)
piece of cannon ball (my second piece :) )
3 pieces of grape shot
5 musket balls
2 50 cal casings
1 german shell casing
metal pieces
tip of a knife or sword? (not sure yet, could be junk)
misc pieces pf metal
nails
bolt
piece of light bulb
some piece of something I do not know what it is (will take pict)
an old soda can buried about a foot deep :(

I think that just about covers it. I will get picts up tonight (PROMISE). So check back later if you are interested HAPPY HUNTING!

Upvote 0

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
Re: Nazi medal found!! Plus other goodies.. stay tuned for picts!

It would be interesting to take a look at the religious medal

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

I will scan the religious medal too.. it has some "pantina" on it.. which i must clean up a bit.. its made of bronze I believe..

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CHECK YOUR JUNK SIGNALS! That nazi medal is made of some POOR materials (like the coins of the era). I almost didn't mess with it.. I didn't even dig it up, I just was rubbing my foot along the spot and saw something flat come up. I was thinking "oh great a part of a can", but as soon as I picked it up and saw the eagle on the front, I thought NO WAY..

Those religious medals are all over out here. Not far from where I was today, another person told us there is a little valley about 400M away that soliders wives/girlfriends would set up a little camp to give drinks and what not to the soliders. I must find this place. Id rather go where there aren't tooo many ppl jogging or walking about. Thats all we need, some ppl thinking us metal detectorists go out to destory the forest! I hope to get a license so make it all "legal". When I get back from the store I will take picts. Stay tuned :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hurry back! ;D Wanna see those pictures!!!
Sounds like some great finds!!! Nana :)

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany

Congrats Viper,

A little benefit we have of living in Germany. (Except for unexploded ordinances of course ;D )
Looking forward to seeing that picture of the medal. Hopefully we can hunt together some time.
I know you are 4 to 6 hours from me, what town are you in or near? I'm right next to Nuernberg.
Keep the finds coming.
Oh yeah, you need to be a bit careful about the laws here. I understand about not digging to deep, we don't want to hurt any roots, but in a farmers field! I kid you not.

EMS

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pics, pics, pics...

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Re: Nazi medal found!! Plus other goodies.. Now with PICTS :)

OK here are the picts.
The first one is all the stuff I found today.. a LOT of JUNK.
Pict 2 is of the musket balls, grape shot, cannonball piece, and the knife or sword (or junk) piece
Pict 3 is all the JUNK i found.. that is the can I found 1 ft down :( I also found most of a chain.. I have to get a picture of this other thing I found. It has some kind of part numbers or something on the side of it.. some kind of wax or something in the tube part..hard to explain. Maybe a detenator?? LOL I hope not
Pict 4 is of the nazi medal, tiny religious medal and some misc pieces of metal
Pict 5 is of the fronts/close ups of the medals
Pict 6 is the reverse of both medals.

Sorry if the picts are bad.. i can take close ups or at least try to of anything you see here. They have a repo of the nazi medal on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-German-Rus...ryZ36047QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) The back says "winterschlacht, imosten 1941/42" The top of the medal has a german helmet (still silver) that is on top of a potato masher grenade.. the rim of the medal still has a lot of the silver finish, and there is still a lot of black paint on the interior of the medal. I wish it was in better shape, but hey I almost passed it by!

Hey EMS, I live by Ramstein (if you don't know where that is, I live 10 mins from Kaiserslautern). Yeah I was actually trying to dig UNDER the roots today. Some of those tree roots are THICK. Most of the locals don't understand that some stuff is quite deep (like whole cannonballs), but I do my best to keep everything nice. I'd love to hunt in your neck of the woods. Nuermberg is a nice place.. was there 2 wks ago. Id love to hunt around over there!!

I hope you enjoy the pictures!!!

Attachments

• mor2913.jpg
    mor2913.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 808
  • mor1913.jpg
    mor1913.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 796

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Nice find on that medal and the other relics. Glad you didnt dig up any bombs!

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

here 2 more picts.. i can't post all 6 at one time i guess.. too big!!

Attachments

• mor4913.jpg
    mor4913.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 813
  • mor3913.jpg
    mor3913.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 796
OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

close up of the medals.. first pict front sides, second pict rear sides

I need to try to clean up that religious medal up more.. maybe better picts by tomorrow :)

No bombs this time around!! Still looking for my whole cannonball though..may have to dig UNDER some roots tihs time around

Happy Hunting

Attachments

• medal1913.jpg
    medal1913.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 775
  • medal2913.jpg
    medal2913.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 748

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois

Cool nazi medal/pin. I am sure someone here can help you identify it. WTG!!

99Brown

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

its was issued to german soliders who fought on the eastern front (russia) in the winter of 1941/42. It used to have a little loop at the top of the medal for the ribbon to go into, but its gone :( I hope to find more stuff like this soon!

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006

viper771 said:
its was issued to german soliders who fought on the eastern front (russia) in the winter of 1941/42. It used to have a little loop at the top of the medal for the ribbon to go into, but its gone :( I hope to find more stuff like this soon!

ты не русский случайно? yes this is medal for winter combats on russian front into period 1941-42 (battle for Moscow) soldiers say about this medal -"Medal of frozen meat" some medals was made from Plumbum

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds Viper! Any idea of the metal the medal is made of? I bought a little fold up saw I carry when doing forest hunts for those roots, you can get one at OBI or Hagebaumarkt for about 8.00 Euros, they are about 8" long. I also found two Nazi medals/pins this weekend but haven't had time to post the pics, I think one has Hitler's bust on it but they are made of aluminum and didn't hold up well in the fields. HH, Mike

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

Thanks for the info guys! Medal of frozen meat hehe.. yeah they did have a tough time during that battle. I wonder who dropped it? A lot of these medals are engraved with a name or something but this one isn't.

Hey mike, the local I ran into yesterday was telling me it is ok to dig up stuff in Barvaria, and some other german state, just not Rhineland Pfalz.. I figure there are just as many bombs there as there are here right? hehe I wanna see your medals! I have to look into that saw you were talking about. I have a tiny hacksaw that may work.. as long as nobody is around. I just want my cannonball! I am about 70% sure there is SOMETHING under those roots.. you can tell by the way they were growing, unless the MD is picking up the roots for some reason? Its a STRONG singal... there must be at least 5 big roots all kind of bunched up around this thing. Maybe tomorrow I can try for it again if time permits. My weekend is full do to drill "aka battle assembly".

I figured out how to find more stuff. After I found one cannonball piece, i would hunt 90 degrees one way.. go back and hunt around kind of in a circle. So far, by doing this I found more grape shot, musket balls on a ridge (so i figured thats what the cannon was shooting at, a line of troops) I have been trying to track this battle from this end of morlautern. After the place I found the bigger cannonball piece and 2 grape shot, NO FINDS at all, except junk. Higher up on a ridge a few meteres away, I find more ww2 stuff (the nazi medal, religious medal etc). The prussians took the high ground from the french it seems, and the french ran across the road that now exists to another low spot to the other side. A cannon was placed at the top of the hill, and was firing down at them (where I found my one cannonball piece and grape shot). Only 1 musket ball found in that area. GOOGLE EARTH IS THE BEST! I will keep everyone updated if I find more. :)

Elkco

Aug 21, 2006
Wilcox, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm IV

You are in a great place to search. Not only for WWII but think of how many empires ran through those areas! Near Hanau, as many other places around Germany, there is an old castle that has many activities going on through the year. From on top, you can see and awful lot of farm land and I'm sure that you could find some stuff there. It's near Gelnhausen. Keep up the great finds and beware of the EOD!!!

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I asked our landlords father (who lives next door) about the german medal. He knew what is was right away (he is in his 70s). He said if the medal was all black, the solider had 1 wound, silver (like mine) if you had 2, gold if you had 3. So the guy who dropped the medal had 2 kinds of wounds (maybe even some kind of frost bite from the russian winter). I guess one of his uncles died on the eastern front in 1944. He offered to clean the nazi medal and the religious medal up for me. They came out really nice. The repo medal on ebay is the black version.

The religious medal is kind of a mystery. The landlord and the guy next door could read some stuff (it says something about jesus christ, and the other side says something along the lines of save us, or something like that). It is written in "old" german.

If you guys want, I can scan a pict of the cleaned up medal. It is silver plated around the edges and the hemlet at the top. It is painted black in the centers on both sides. Under the paint the metal is grey.. so the silver showing isn't the metal itself. I think its made of "pot" metal or something. It gave a kind of foil signal. So always check what you plan to pass over!
Happy Hunting to everyone!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Viper!!! ;) I have a deep signal out there that I gave up on till I get a hatchet. Thick roots. Where you hunting by the big field or toward the stadium? Lots of good stuff still in the ground! :) I dug for about 30 minutes one time out there and it turned out to be a old shovel :-\. But you never know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread