10 silver, dime trifecta x 2........

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Corinth, Illinois It aint on the map! Southern
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/sunray probe, Excelerator EQ2 coil
I found these a few weeks ago, but im now able post pictures. Ive been hunting this particular fairgrounds for about 4 years and its been very very good to me, pulled a 1901 s Barber Quarter out of there in 2007. But finding silver there has always been hit and miss. Usually only one or two silver and thats a great day. Since the silver is drying up i started hunting places around the fairgrounds that i hadnt hunted a lot or that didnt look very promising. One area has had a lot of activity, and its very very very trashy with coal cinders everywhere, which metal detector dont like. I hunted this area years ago with my DFX but didnt find anything except some recently dropped clad. I decided to give it a shot with the E-trac, and after the first couple of hours I found 5 silver coins. At a snails pace i would pick up what I call "Thumpers", they dont give off a good sound, only a thump sound. But the numbers go off 01-43, 01-46 very low ferrous numbers but very high conductive numbers. About 7 or 8 inches down id find a silver dime, or 9 or 10 inches id find a silver quarter. I hunt this area in Quick Mask with Conductive numbers below 32 nulling out and Ferrous numbers below 20 nulling out. So all I can pick up are Indians, Zincs, Pennies Dimes ect.....No nickels no pull tabs no can slaw. After i thought i had pulled all the easy ones out i slowed down and hunted the place once again, and shazzam...10 silver dimes, including my first ever trifecta, and even pulled two 43P Merc out of the same hole, another first. I had never found more that 8 silver in a day before this. Since that day ive pulled a total of 41 silver coins from this small area, after about 10 hunts of 2-3 hours each. Alot of guys in the area consider this place hunted out and i was begining to have the same feeling. None of these coins sounded really good all of them were jarbled or thumping, and surrounded by trash. In total i pulled (1) Standing Liberty Quarter 1920 (5 ) silver Washington Quarters, (2) Barber Dimes, 1901-0 and a 1899-P (17) Mercury Dimes, and (16) Roosevelt Dimes....Wow what a honey hole....

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,035
Upvote 0

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
Congrats, thats an amazing haul. I hope someday I'll get similar ones. :thumbsup:

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Haul! I've been hunting hard with an etrac, hitting several old yards and some "hunted out" sections of a park that was once a fairgrounds. Not finding much old silver, but I know there's got to be some left there. If you don't mind my asking. What settings are you using? Conductive multi-sounds I assume, or TTF? Manual sensitivity? Deep ... Fast, on or off? How about threshold volume and gain level? And lastly....when you say "just a thump", are you saying that there is no high tone at all? I'd appreciate any insight. I know I'm not hunting "wrong" but it could very well that you're doing something differently that I could try. Thanks and happy hunting. Hope we have some good hunting weather left yet.....

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you may have found the camp area for the Carnies and vendors.. Especially if you're finding charcoal from camp fires..
Great job, go get some more, ya gotta love it..

dasho

Jul 19, 2010
MO
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS & E-Trac & Sun Ray Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Corinth1812

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sonnydigs said:
Sounds like you may have found the camp area for the Carnies and vendors.. Especially if you're finding charcoal from camp fires..
im finding coal cinders, this area of southern illinois was and still is a coal mining area, coal cinders were used as walking paths, parking lots and just about anywhere people would gather as a substitute for concrete, or gravel.

OP
OP
Corinth1812

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
silversweeper said:
Awesome Haul! I've been hunting hard with an etrac, hitting several old yards and some "hunted out" sections of a park that was once a fairgrounds. Not finding much old silver, but I know there's got to be some left there. If you don't mind my asking. What settings are you using? Conductive multi-sounds I assume, or TTF? Manual sensitivity? Deep ... Fast, on or off? How about threshold volume and gain level? And lastly....when you say "just a thump", are you saying that there is no high tone at all? I'd appreciate any insight. I know I'm not hunting "wrong" but it could very well that you're doing something differently that I could try. Thanks and happy hunting. Hope we have some good hunting weather left yet.....
I hunt in quick mask all the time. I never hunt in the stock coins program. I mask out on the conductive side, everything below 30 or 32 depend if i expect a lot of indian head pennies. On the ferrous side i mask out everthing below 20, ive had many silver dime go off, 19 on the ferrous number. I hunt in auto +3 depending on the amount of iron, and how deep the targets im expecting. If there is a lot of deep rusty iron, i will hunt in +1 or even and that drastically reduces iron falsing. Consductive Multi on the tones. Deep on , and Fast recovery on....Difficult on. Threshold is a matter of preference, i have mine on 18 because i have good hearing and i dont like that constant hummmm. I have it high enough that i can hear it, its crucial in determining whether its a deep silver coin with iron in the hole or if its rusty nail thats falsing. Loss of threshold just before and after the high chirp usually, but not always indicates its iron. Gain i dont like too high I prefer between 18-22, i dont want the deep ones sounding like they are near the surface. And the whole thumping thing, Sometimes they chirp, and that usually only happens on silver quarters that are really deep. The chirp has a high tone. On silver dimes that are deep i get a Thump, and its exactly what it sounds like a thump. Like someone is thumping your headphones, If i turn my detector to all metal i get the exact same response, just a thumping sound.(Turn on you detecter inside you house and air test it. pull a silver dime or silver quarter away from the coil so that it barely picks it up.) The conductive numbers are very high above 40, and the ferrous numbers are low, like 01, 02, 03. If they get around 06 usally its a wheat or a piece of copper or aluminum. If you hunt in the stock coins program 01 is rejected, thats why i dont use it. Ive dug probably 50 silver dimes this year that had a ferrous number of 01. I also hunt with a 6 inch excelerator EQ2 coil, i love this coil its small and requires you to slow down, but it still has excellent depth, 8-9 inches easily. The most important thing i do is i hunt slow, very slow very very very slow. At a snails pace, in high trashy areas where im getting a lot of nulling or iron falsing i hunt with about an 6-8 second swing and i inch forward. In less trashy areas i tend o hunt faster. When i get a signal that repeats i dig it. Hope this helps.

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great finds!
This says a lot for the E Trac.

I have a hunting buddy that is going to get the E Trac. I want to see this E Trac do it better than my Sovereign first.

I would re-hunt every place you have hunted before since you got this new E Trac.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in quick mask all the time. I never hunt in the stock coins program. I mask out on the conductive side, everything below 30 or 32 depend if i expect a lot of indian head pennies. On the ferrous side i mask out everthing below 20, ive had many silver dime go off, 19 on the ferrous number. I hunt in auto +3 depending on the amount of iron, and how deep the targets im expecting. If there is a lot of deep rusty iron, i will hunt in +1 or even and that drastically reduces iron falsing. Consductive Multi on the tones. Deep on , and Fast recovery on....Difficult on. Threshold is a matter of preference, i have mine on 18 because i have good hearing and i dont like that constant hummmm. I have it high enough that i can hear it, its crucial in determining whether its a deep silver coin with iron in the hole or if its rusty nail thats falsing. Loss of threshold just before and after the high chirp usually, but not always indicates its iron. Gain i dont like too high I prefer between 18-22, i dont want the deep ones sounding like they are near the surface. And the whole thumping thing, Sometimes they chirp, and that usually only happens on silver quarters that are really deep. The chirp has a high tone. On silver dimes that are deep i get a Thump, and its exactly what it sounds like a thump. Like someone is thumping your headphones, If i turn my detector to all metal i get the exact same response, just a thumping sound.(Turn on you detecter inside you house and air test it. pull a silver dime or silver quarter away from the coil so that it barely picks it up.) The conductive numbers are very high above 40, and the ferrous numbers are low, like 01, 02, 03. If they get around 06 usally its a wheat or a piece of copper or aluminum. If you hunt in the stock coins program 01 is rejected, thats why i dont use it. Ive dug probably 50 silver dimes this year that had a ferrous number of 01. I also hunt with a 6 inch excelerator EQ2 coil, i love this coil its small and requires you to slow down, but it still has excellent depth, 8-9 inches easily. The most important thing i do is i hunt slow, very slow very very very slow. At a snails pace, in high trashy areas where im getting a lot of nulling or iron falsing i hunt with about an 6-8 second swing and i inch forward. In less trashy areas i tend o hunt faster. When i get a signal that repeats i dig it. Hope this helps.
[/quote]
Thanks for the insight. There are some differences between your settings and what I've been hunting with. I've been switching back and forth between manual amped up as far as it will go and stay steady, and auto sensitivity +3. Many of the targets I find in manual dissappear in auto so I tend to stay in manual mostly. I'll try your settings though and see if they help me find some of those hiding silvers. I also have 01 conductive blocked out except for 41-43 for big silvers (not that I've ever found any......). That's what most etrac owners advise to do to cut down on iron falsing. I'll give it a try with that line open though because I sure would like to find some more silver dimes before the hunting season is over this year. Obviously our ground mineralization is different here, and the numbers may be a bit different too, but then again....maybe not. I have a 6x8 SEF, I'll give that coil a try and see if it helps. I've found a lot with it in other places, I just thought a bigger coil would help me find the deeper hiding silvers. Our sweep speeds are similar I think. I'm pretty pokey unless I'm in a rush.
Thanks again for the tips. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.
God bless and HH.

OP
OP
Corinth1812

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
silversweeper said:
Thanks for the insight. There are some differences between your settings and what I've been hunting with. I've been switching back and forth between manual amped up as far as it will go and stay steady, and auto sensitivity +3. Many of the targets I find in manual dissappear in auto so I tend to stay in manual mostly. I'll try your settings though and see if they help me find some of those hiding silvers. I also have 01 conductive blocked out except for 41-43 for big silvers (not that I've ever found any......). That's what most etrac owners advise to do to cut down on iron falsing. I'll give it a try with that line open though because I sure would like to find some more silver dimes before the hunting season is over this year. Obviously our ground mineralization is different here, and the numbers may be a bit different too, but then again....maybe not. I have a 6x8 SEF, I'll give that coil a try and see if it helps. I've found a lot with it in other places, I just thought a bigger coil would help me find the deeper hiding silvers. Our sweep speeds are similar I think. I'm pretty pokey unless I'm in a rush.
Thanks again for the tips. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.
God bless and HH.
[/quote] The 6x8 SEF isnt much bigger, I have a buddy that hunts with one and he swears by it, ive been thinking of getting one. Ive hit a lot of silver with 01 opened up, i do get more falsing, but it worth it.

franking

Nov 10, 2011
Western Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6, Gold Mnt King Cobra, Discovery 2000, BH Lonestar, Coinmaster 4000/D, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I am sitting here in disbelief at the incredible digs you have there from the fair grounds. Nice story to boot. Excellent finds glad you were able to get the pics up..Thanks for sharing that!

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Corinth1812 said:
Sonnydigs said:
im finding coal cinders, this area of southern illinois was and still is a coal mining area, coal cinders were used as walking paths, parking lots and just about anywhere people would gather as a substitute for concrete, or gravel.

Well, I learn something new on here everyday.. Thanks..

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say WWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWW and keep going back every day :headbang:

Snake Eyes

Sep 24, 2011
111/101 in SW Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Explorer SE, Dowsing Rods...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your thoughts and thumping of this site has paid off Big! COOL!! :icon_thumright: I really love when others tell me a site is worked out, because theres always some new angle you can apply to it to do good there! That, And People Can Be Lazy Also :wink:..........

Good Job ;D

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Corinth1812 said:
area years ago with my DFX but didnt find anything except some recently dropped clad. I decided to give it a shot with the E-trac, and after the first couple of hours I found 5 silver coins.

It's like I said...the older and deeper silvers are consistently being found with Minelab E-Tracs and the upper tier Minelab units.

All I can say is congratz!!! :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread