jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out this morning with Neil and Jon at a very cool site that is supposed to be a silver hotspot. A lot of targets, many interesting.

Towards the end of the trip, ventured over to a creek that is fed by a dam and for fun decided to try swinging the AT Pro in the creek. To my amazement I instantly pulled out a modern penny. So, I stuck the detector back in and swung only 1 foot from there. I got a solid repeating 80 only 2" deep so I assumed it was another penny probably on the surface. I stuck my shovel under some gravel and rocks and pulled out a pile. I swung my Pro Pointer over the pile and was shocked to see a large disc sitting there. I called over and said I think I've got something here. After seeing the "One Cent" on the reverse, Neil identified it as a Draped Bust.

Unfortunately it is totally beat and I still cannot fully identify it. I can clearly see a "9" which makes it an automatic 179? something. I can barely see LIBERTY on the obverse so that reinforces Draped or earlier. I can rule out Wreath cent because the bow has 2 ribbons. I swear I see a 4 but I think it could also be a 7 in the last digit. Oddly, it only weighs just over 6 grams and it is very thin.

Attachments

• largie.jpg
    largie.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 961
  • largie2.jpg
    largie2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 958
  • pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 985
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the profile and the 9 under the bust looks more like the draped bust than a Liberty Cap. You are lucky that you were able to even get an ID at all. The water corroded that thing from the inside robbing it of all its mass!

Congrats on the LC! Is it your first?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Neil. I circled the area that makes me think Draped Bust.

Attachments

• largie edit.JPG
    largie edit.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 824

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the old Copper :wink:
The bust looks to be off to the right, as on a Cap,
rather than in the center as on a Draped :dontknow:

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean that baby up! You should be able to soak it and in time most of that dirt should come off......!WTG

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-\ hard to say , can't see a pole for it to be a cap ??? still one that makes a hunt worthwhile 8) Get more of the un toasted ones jerseyben 8) blind lemon dawg

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet copper I hope its a rarity :icon_thumright:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your weight is correct, something is amiss, and even though immersed in water, I doubt it would look like that if it lost that much weight due to any type of corrosion, since it is solid composition throughout, unlike a modern clad coin. Heck, I have a 1798 Draped Bust Large Cent almost in half and that weighs 6.2 grams.

So, perhaps a counterfeit? I think the date is more like 1797 (like usual, very hard to say from photos shown) than anything else, without a doubt you can eliminate 1794, I also do not see any chance of it ever being a 1796 Liberty Cap. The bust is not too far right not to be a Draped bust, and the location of the 9 and what may be a 7 is consistant with several of the 1797 varieties.

Most of my worn down Draped Busts are in the 9.5+ grams range and vast majority in the 10+ gram range.

How is the diameter compared to other Draped Busts?

Don

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
If your weight is correct, something is amiss, and even though immersed in water, I doubt it would look like that if it lost that much weight due to any type of corrosion, since it is solid composition throughout, unlike a modern clad coin. Heck, I have a 1798 Draped Bust Large Cent almost in half and that weighs 6.2 grams.

So, perhaps a counterfeit? I think the date is more like 1797 (like usual, very hard to say from photos shown) than anything else, without a doubt you can eliminate 1794, I also do not see any chance of it ever being a 1796 Liberty Cap. The bust is not too far right not to be a Draped bust, and the location of the 9 and what may be a 7 is consistant with several of the 1797 varieties.

Most of my worn down Draped Busts are in the 9.5+ grams range and vast majority in the 10+ gram range.

How is the diameter compared to other Draped Busts?

Don

It is indeed just over 6 grams. It is corroded very badly (as you can clearly see). The diameter is correct but it is half as thin as most large cents. This leads me to believe that it could be a counterfeit.

I do agree now that it is probably a 1797. I studied some MS example 1797 dates and it looks like a close match to me. The 9 in the 3rd digit is as clear as day and you can even see it in the picture. The 4th digit looks like a straight vertical line almost like a "1" but based on positive ID as a Draped Bust would make it much more likely to be a "7"

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Many of my badly corroded large cents come in under 9 grams, but this one seems very lightweight for it's size. It did not seem like lead though...hmmmm.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Many of my badly corroded large cents come in under 9 grams, but this one seems very lightweight for it's size. It did not seem like lead though...hmmmm.

Neil, most counterfeit coppers are copper, just they used less of it.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find :icon_thumleft:

I found 2 DB that were toast this month..

Still a killer find..And they were bummed to lose it back then :laughing7:

Blaze

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Got back there with Ben and shot some video. Unfortunately the camera was having a tough time, but it was great fun! The AT Pro and the Excalibur work well side by side with no EMI!

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 544
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 559

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread