More good stuff in the colonial woods 1749 2 reale cobb and George II copper!

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last thing I expected in the woods was another cobb, and this one came out with such great details (compared to the first one.) OK, I get a little excited in the vid...the first cobb was worn down to a nub, didn't really know what it was till home researching it, not much to shout about when I first dug it. However, the 1749 2 Reale came out of the ground with a bold design present...very exciting to see that Spanish cross emerge from the dirt.

And FINALLY, after so many large buttons hoping it was a copper, it actually turned out to be one. The George II half penny isn't as toasted as I feared the coppers would be, just truly worn down. I THINK the date is 1756, but that side of the coin worn nearly flat...it's at least before 1760 and that's amazing

Best day so far out there struggling through the jungle!

Here's the vid:

[youtube=425,350]r3VZtV_dO5c[/youtube]

Attachments

• 1749.jpg
    1749.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 1,331
  • geoa.png
    geoa.png
    324.5 KB · Views: 1,366
Upvote 0

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man those are the sites I dream of, literally. Good for yo, bro. :headbang:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your banking some cash, colonial style! Beautiful cobb :thumbsup:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you I thought you were on an early spanish site. Man i can't wait to watch this video. Let me check it out. Good going Jim..

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I found a Cobb, they would find me laying beside the hole I found it in.. Fantastic find..

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty there...got some early spanish but still looking for one of those cobbs! seen them dug but it still eludes me...
congrats :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zaxfire69 said:
I told you I thought you were on an early spanish site. Man i can't wait to watch this video. Let me check it out. Good going Jim..

This was the main route between the British Colonies and Spanish Florida, a confluence of a bunch of different worlds. The Spanish had early settlements in SC, but the Brits were in full control of the area by 1670. I think these cobbs are coming more from the sea going culture, all the ports in Charleston, Savannah even Edisto. There's boat landings all along this river with direct access to the ocean.

What these coins show also is that money was a real mess in the 1700's, no one currency, people used any coin, medal or token they could lay their hands on.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adventureswithjim said:
zaxfire69 said:

This was the main route between the British Colonies and Spanish Florida, a confluence of a bunch of different worlds. The Spanish had early settlements in SC, but the Brits were in full control of the area by 1670. I think these cobbs are coming more from the sea going culture, all the ports in Charleston, Savannah even Edisto. There's boat landings all along this river with direct access to the ocean.

What these coins show also is that money was a real mess in the 1700's, no one currency, people used any coin, medal or token they could lay their hands on.

Yep, in those days silver was silver, gold was gold and hairy pirates from Tortuga were hairy pirates from Tortuga!

Grats on the nice Cobbs! If that penny is copper or bronze, try soaking it for a few hours in olive oil to clean the dirt off it. Don't rub it though, the patina is probably holding the writing on by now.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep hitting that area and I bet you will find more of the good stuff. Your on a paystreak lately. Keep it up.. :thumbsup:

James from TN

Apr 26, 2010
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great video and coins. If I dug a cob like yours I think I would have a heart attack. Not just from the coin but how hard I would be hunting the area.:D Hope you dig some Spanish gold next time your out their.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice coin in great condition, can't wait to see what else you find in there. HH

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
adventureswithjim said:
zaxfire69 said:

Yep, in those days silver was silver, gold was gold and hairy pirates from Tortuga were hairy pirates from Tortuga!

Grats on the nice Cobbs! If that penny is copper or bronze, try soaking it for a few hours in olive oil to clean the dirt off it. Don't rub it though, the patina is probably holding the writing on by now.

Actually, I want to try something a little different with this copper...a long soak in distilled water to pull out the salts from the farm field chemicals, then allow to dry completely...like for weeks...maybe the metal will harden up and then I can work on removing the remaining crust later. I know exactly what you mean about patina holding on the details...I've seen the surface of old injuns and nickels flake away.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that's a better way, didn't realize you pulled it from a farmers field. I'm too used to parks, next summer though I'm gonna hit the oldest fields around here.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like those chunky cobs! Owned a few, and always wanted to find one having never found bigger than a 1 real.

Copper is very unlikely 1756, because that date is limited to fairly scarce counterfeits. The range for a British George II halfpenny is 1729-1754, and if the old head 1740-1754.

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I like those chunky cobs! Owned a few, and always wanted to find one having never found bigger than a 1 real.

Copper is very unlikely 1756, because that date is limited to fairly scarce counterfeits. The range for a British George II halfpenny is 1729-1754, and if the old head 1740-1754.

Thanks for the info, the guess on the date was just that, a guess, back is worn basically flat, you can see some detail when the light hits it at the right angle, there are some lumps that once were numbers, I was just guessing based on the shape of the lumps :-)

But I've dug enough buffs and SQL's over the years to learn to accept sometimes that's all there is or will ever be. I've got it soaking now, perhaps in the future other details will come up to narrow the date, but for now I'm pretty happy with a coin made sometime between 1727 and 1754.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Awesome hunt man!! :headbang: :headbang: If I were you I'd go back and work 20ft out on either side of the old path you were on! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions