Im detecting in COLD!!!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
I'm detecting in COLD!!!

This is BS. All of us in the cold areas of the country are saying we can't wait for Spring. Why not detect all winter. People ice fish. Why the hell not detect. I am going to at least give it a shot and I'm going to drag True Metal into this experiment. I think with a metal spike and a heavy hammer, I should be able to chisel into the ground. Anyone else going to give it a shot?!!?!?!!?!?! Maybe with a few people trying different methods, we can find a good solution. My other idea was a handheld blow torch to warm the ground a bit before digging.

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: I'm detecting in COLD!!!

Hate them nails, they sound just like silver sometimes, don't they...
It's cold here in Indy today. Hovering around zero, give or take a few degrees... :-\
We got 7" to 10" inches of snow, hard to tell with all the drifts... Went sled'n yesterday, not as many people there as I remember as a kid, but looks like a site to check out as soon as the weather warms up... ;D
Good luck to all who are still hunting, & Happy Holidays~

P.S> Too cold to even detect the crawl space, for now...lol

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

heater torpedo!! ;D

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI

Well.. Since we've already talked about using:

• Pnematic Air Hammers and Chisels
  • Propane Toruch
  • Bull Dozers
  • and Torpedo Heaters...

I might as well through out the idea of a small ice fishing shanty.? They usually? have heaters in them... A? big whole in the floor... Beer and munchies....? ?And if you slap on some wheels, and a 4-wheeler ATV -- You should be rocking...

Talos

Dec 10, 2004

It was around 10 degrees here in Illinois. My treasure search: a field in back of a high school for lost golf balls. Found two. Then ran four miles on the cinder track just to warm up! Very pleasant...

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

talos,lots of golf balls in and around the river here by my house lost count throw most back on the course!!hehehe(the hack in me told me to do it) beside i asked some players one day if they wanted them for free they didnt even talk to me they seald the fate for the rest of them! found 20 baseballs 1)12' softball most baseballs ok to new a few 5-6 are crude near a ball feilds by my house i live in dekalb, illinois ne 1 else in illinois here also? lets gear up for srping an get together for forum poluza?!!!find some wre to hunt together or just a group to go out with now and then?ne 1 else up for it? DEKALB33 ;D

Talos

Dec 10, 2004

I sell my found golf balls to a guy who works at the salvage yard where I bring my aluminum cans and assorted junk metal. He pays $3 per dozen, cleans them up with some chemical mix, and then resells them. He's a collector too, keeping the ones with logos for his personal collection. There are people who actually make a living (and a very good one) retrieving golf balls from lakes and ponds and then reselling them. New golf balls can be very pricey. So, I guess there's a market for everything.

I'm way down here in Illinois, just across the river from St. Louis. When the Mississippi River is down, that's a good time to explore the banks of the river. No telling what will turn up.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

would love to hunt the miss at"low tide" my uncle lives near galena about 15 miles from the miss maybe get that way in the summer the golf ball idea?humm maybe ill put an ad in the paper or something i find them in piles alot of times the raccons seem to think they are eggs and collect them up alot of times in piles of 5-10 then realize they are nothing they can eat and leave for better grub!(wonder if i should pay them a finders fee or maybe i should"return them to the owners"if you cant tell by tone of voice im being sarcastick!)good idea though!thanks talo like idea exchange feed back in this forum DEKALB33 ;D

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio

let's put it this way, if i go outside i will freeze instantly!! lol joke! but sorta true, because its -10 degrees outside right now and evrything has like an 1'in thick of ice on it now HH CS

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA

A guy came up with this idea on a forum a few years ago. I just had to keep the pic.
winter_cortes.jpg

Doug-Iowa

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Hey Dekalb, Tim up here in Elgin. I've hunted Sycamore and Elburn but much farther out than that except on a few occasions. Let me know when you want to meet up and we'll put a hunt together. Hey Talos, one of my hunt buddies just moved into Union County and is now in Dongola. I'll be down there hunting with him in the spring with any luck.

PM me Dekalb and we'll chew some e-fat while the winter wears on.

Talos

Dec 10, 2004

Did you guys ever catch any of "The Hunt for Amazing Treasure" episodes on cable TV (The Learning Channel, I believe)? I thought about it because of the discussion of lost golf balls. They had one guy on there who made his living from hunting lost golf balls and reselling them. He was located in Florida, and used scuba gear and a cartwheel contraption to retrieve balls from lakes and ponds. An alligagor once snagged ahold of his wet suit in one scary encounter! He must've been doing well as he was driving a new Porsche.

They had both metal and non-metal detecting segments in the series. One guy found an old movie poster in a suitcase ("The Bride of Frankenstein," a big super rare six-sheet version) which he sold for upwards of $250,000. They had other interesting finds as well:
big gold nuggets, an abandoned apartment which yielded thousands of rare publicity photos taken by a Hollywood photographer, a warehouse full of lost educational films from the '40s and '50s, etc. Sad to say, but a lot of this stuff ends up in the landfill. People don't know what they have, or don't care.

I personally know of one TH'er who stumbled upon an old house slated for imminent destruction. It was insulated with old movie posters from the 1930s and '40s. So, you never know.

I'll tell you about some of my finds in later posts...

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DONT BE A MISTER BUNGLE my favorit 50s educational movie my dad saw it !when i told him how stupid it was he laughed his @ss off he saw it 20 years earlier! how dated like the teachers!!man want to hit the "miss" at" low tide" man how cool am a rock hound to!you guys?got to go am beat DEKALB33!

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI

I think this would work....

Keeps your lawn well aerated too!

Garrett

Attachments

• core-drill.jpg
    core-drill.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 188

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Now, that's the tool for the job... I wouldn't mind using that in the summer. ;D

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004

KenB, was able to get out of my driveway today first time since last wed. suppose to hit the sixty's by this weekend, I'll be out there before then, all the snow should be gone by tommorrow. HH in NY. Bob.B

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Good luck bob, we just got 6 inch's of snow and its fifteen here, so I might as well be stuck in my driveway!!, its supposed to hit fifty in a day or two so hopefully I,m not done yet!

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My 1st time posting, here it goes... :P
Here in upstate ny (on Lake Ontario) we just got a few more inches of snow on top of the 2 inches we just received last weekend, I'm bummed! Got tomorrow off from work and planning on hitting up a local busy summertime beach that I've been dying to get to. Was only 20 degrees today but it's supposed to be 38 degrees tomorrow, not sure if that's enough to melt the 3-4 inches of snow by afternoon or not but I'll have to go and see if it's detectable. As long as I can break the sand, I'm good to go! Silver ringing in my ears? Let's hope so! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread