Found a rare Civil War artillery shell today! UPDATE Cleaned

James from TN

Apr 26, 2010
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had planned on going back to where I found the spur last week and dig out the hut site but had a chance to go back to an area we have found some rare shells in the past so figured the hut site could wait another day. We have hunted this friends land for 20+ years and I can't believe my luck today. 15 Minutes into the hunt I get a deep iron signal and start to dig what I thought would be a deep fragment. The deeper I dug the better it sounds and at around 24 inches I see signs of iron in the hole. At this point I am thinking I had a 6 lb. cannonball and called my brother over so we could both see the first artillery projectile we have dug in years. After digging around trying to get it loose I see the white from the sabot and knew what I had found. I pulled it from the hole and we where both in shock since we have been over this exact spot at least 10 times in the past with different machines. I guess the extra moisture in the ground and hunting in boost mode allowed it to sound of on my machine. This thing was around 30 inches deep and is the deepest shell we have dug out of this spot. It is a 2.9 inch Baby Britten shot and is the first Britten shot we have dug. Any of these shells are rare as hens teeth but the bolt is even more rare. It is something we have always wanted to find and today was the day. I am including pictures right after I removed it from the hole and after a quick wash off with the rest of my finds. Thanks for looking and good luck if you get out. James

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,958
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,152
  • IMG_5464.jpg
    IMG_5464.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_5468.jpg
    IMG_5468.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,712
  • IMG_5467.jpg
    IMG_5467.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,728
Upvote 2

shack24

May 26, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gta 500; Garrett Ace 350; Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a rare Civil War artillery shell today!

That is beautiful! Congratulations.

U

umrgolf

Wow James, banner all the way :headbang:

F

Felinepeachy

That is freakin' AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done!!!!!! :notworthy: :headbang:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHOAH MAN!!! That is one INCREDIBLE CW save there! Ill go banner!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome awesome find! :headbang: :headbang:

Huge congrats! :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That is a rare puppy with very cool rifling marks on the sabot James. I hope Cannonball guy sees this one. Congrats, Quindy.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Fantastic find--well done!!

All the best,

Lanny

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy moly cow...That is about as fine as they come. Congrats on digging that Bannerific find..Needs to go up top. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First Rate! :thumbsup:

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3

Nice shell :icon_thumleft:. But is that still dangerous? Still powder in it?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Aquila said:
Nice shell :icon_thumleft:. But is that still dangerous? Still powder in it?
ImpurestStewart said:
That's what I'm wondering, Is it still live ordinance? Terrific find!!

That's the first thing I thought as well. The Laws are different over here, if I found it, the bomb squad would be called & they would blow it up.
How dangerous is it & how do you make it safe?

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Beautiful shell Jame's :headbang: English made shell's that both side's had access to,is it still fused?

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

That's what we wanted to find and not only did you find one but you found a super rare solid shot, congratulations, kinda. Blew me out of the woods. Next time it will be my turn, maybe. For those that don't know about these shells, the ones with powder in them are as safe as this solid one, they didn't have any fuzes so they used paper fuzes that didn't work very well, (we have found fragments to only 3 or 4 shells), when we find a shell the paper time fuze is gone and moisture has gotten in the shell, so they are safe to handle. HH Update- it turned out to be a shell, not a bolt.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
That's what we wanted to find and not only did you find one but you found a super rare solid shot, congratulations, kinda. Blew me out of the woods. Next time it will be my turn, maybe. For those that don't know about these shells, the ones with powder in them are as safe as this solid one, they didn't have any fuzes so they used paper fuzes that didn't work very well, (we have found fragments to only 3 or 4 shells), when we find a shell the paper time fuze is gone and moisture has gotten in the shell, so they are safe to handle. HH

OK, that helps explain it. However, do they need treatment & when they dry out, do they leak or the iron fall off?

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
That's what we wanted to find and not only did you find one but you found a super rare solid shot, congratulations, kinda. Blew me out of the woods. Next time it will be my turn, maybe. For those that don't know about these shells, the ones with powder in them are as safe as this solid one, they didn't have any fuzes so they used paper fuzes that didn't work very well, (we have found fragments to only 3 or 4 shells), when we find a shell the paper time fuze is gone and moisture has gotten in the shell, so they are safe to handle. HH

OK, that helps explain it. However, do they need treatment & when they dry out, do they leak or the iron fall off?
I use electrolysis to remove the rust, after that process, i put a thin layer of light oil on mine, then after a day or so wipe as much oil off as i can then cover it in a 50/50 solution of polyurethane and paint thinner. After this, the iron will be stable, slick, and beautiful. Sorry Bro, I guess i should let you answer these questions, but i am very excited about you finding that bolt, one i always wanted to find.

OP
OP
James from TN

James from TN

Apr 26, 2010
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:

We use the electrolysis to remove the rust, after that process, i put a thin layer of light oil on mine, then after a day or so wipe as much oil off as i can then cover it in a 50/50 solution of polyurethane and paint thinner. After this, the iron will be stable, slick, and beautiful.
Yes these type of shells are safe to handle, thanks for explaining it. You know I will be using electrolysis to clean it and once it gets cleaned I will post a picture of how it turned out. Hopefully it will look as good as the day it was fired at the Confederates. James

flatbuttonman

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

James from TN said:
I had planned on going back to where I found the spur last week and dig out the hut site but had a chance to go back to an area we have found some rare shells in the past so figured the hut site could wait another day. We have hunted this friends land for 20+ years and I can't believe my luck today. 15 Minutes into the hunt I get a deep iron signal and start to dig what I thought would be a deep fragment. The deeper I dug the better it sounds and at around 24 inches I see signs of iron in the hole. At this point I am thinking I had a 6 lb. cannonball and called my brother over so we could both see the first artillery projectile we have dug in years. After digging around trying to get it loose I see the white from the sabot and knew what I had found. I pulled it from the hole and we where both in shock since we have been over this exact spot at least 10 times in the past with different machines. I guess the extra moisture in the ground and hunting in boost mode allowed it to sound of on my machine. This thing was around 30 inches deep and is the deepest shell we have dug out of this spot. It is a 2.9 inch Baby Britten shot and is the first Britten shot we have dug. Any of these shells are rare as hens teeth but the bolt is even more rare. It is something we have always wanted to find and today was the day. I am including pictures right after I removed it from the hole and after a quick wash off with the rest of my finds. Thanks for looking and good luck if you get out. James
Wow!! Great Shell nice job, that would have made my day to keep hunting,thanks for saving history one shell at a time!!
Flatbuttonman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread