***UPDATED****"The Hole"

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
***UPDATED****"The Hole"

Hope everyone's weekend went well and there was a cornacopia of items to be found!

I have a story/question. Hopefully people reading will have had a similar story and can tell what to do/don't do.

I went back to the clearing today that has produced a lot of clad, couple silvers, an IH, and now 2 three-ringers. Also an old belt buckle similar to Comfy in vermont's. I'll post a pic of the three ringer and buckle later.

The last time I went to the clearing I came across a single that bounced between a penny/dime reading and said 6 inches on my ACE250. While I know the ACE250 is not exceedingly great a depth, I was skeptical of digging. But, remembering the MD'er mantra of "dig everything" and if you old geezers can do it, my 23 year old body can sure handle it :) So I dig....and dig.. and dig....

The reading never changed, it said penny/dime and 6 inches even when I dug (and I measured) 15 inches down. I would take the detector and put it to the base of the hole and that's where the strongest signal came from. I tried down the sides of the hole and not a peep. There are no powerlines around, nor do I get any signals in the immediate area surrounding the hole.

At this point I left the clearing and returned today. Towards the end of my hunt, I ventured over to the "hole" to see if there was still a signal. Indeed there was and like an idiot I start digging again hoping I might figure it out. It was to no avail and I left wondering what it was.

What could this be? I know on this and other forums people say raise the detector up about 6 inches off the ground and if you get a signal, it's most likely large and shallow. I tried this and nothing. It's when I put the detector down on the ground and into the hole that I get a signal.

It doesnt seem to be trash because it never deviates from the obvious coin bell tone that us ACE250 users know is unmistakeable for a coin.

Any help/stories/sympathy/apathy/ would be appreciated.

As always, thank y'all for your time in reading.

HH!

-Hunter

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Re: ***UPDATED****"The Hole"

This works everytime on those deep signals.

Attachments

• backhoe.gif
    backhoe.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 823
  • backhoe.gif
    backhoe.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 823

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

I had that happen several times. If you arent in a obvious past war spot, I'd give up. Anyway, I got a strong signal and dug a hole at least 18 inches deep. I knew it couldn't be anything too great because my machine won't see anything small that deep. I gave up and went back up the owners house who was standing outside. He told me that his grandpa had left an old car in a ravine somewhere out in the field and eventually dirt had eroded over it and you can't see hide nor hair of it anymore. I guess I was trying to dig up a car.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't normally dig deeper than 12 inches or so in someone's yard, but at a site that has produced Civil War relics I would find out what that sucker is! My guess is that a cannon ball is not unlikely, especially if there was action there rather than just a campsite.

-Buckleboy

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

I know rusty iron gives a signal slightly off center on my detector, so bad pinpointing may not really be the case here. I usually don't dig targets that don't read the same on every sweep across them, but I would dig it all on a civil war site.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I first started MDing I chased a signal just like that. Dug on it at a couple of different times and came up with a buried power line to a baseball field! Glad I didn't just chip into it thinking it was a root. Monty

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd say always dig until you find whatever it is, you just never know. The only time this has happened to me, I had resorted to using a steel digging bar and had to have been at least 18 inches in. I posted this and they suggested to check the side of the hold for a possible off center pinpoint. Lo and behold at about 5 inches, a rusty ole nail.

The Gemologist

Sep 8, 2006
Seattle, WA

The last big chase i had ended up being the front door to an old stove. Oh well keep digging and let us know if it's

;D
Jimmy Hoffa

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I have had the same thing happen with large objects that are deeper. But here's another one for ya....what about when you dig a hole, then you scan the pile of dirt you pulled out and it's in there, and when you go through it, there is nothing? I just love that one...and it happens once in a while when I'm in the middle of a freakin field!

Say...you look familiar, did you go to Hayfield HS? That's where I graduated from, class of '99.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cap'n, That has happened to me too and I have used a magnet in the fill dirt and found a tiny piece of rusted wire not over a quarter inch long. Just can't see it with the naked eye some times. Monty

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd say go rent a back-hoe and then you'd get to the "bottom" of that pesty hole ;D.

probably a very large metal object such as mason jar full of silver dollars, hehe

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just keep digging! ;) I have dug very deep and found good stuff that was putting out a nice signal. I pulled a nice cannonball out of the ground and I thought I was going to china!

Attachments

• Jan21$01cannonball.jpg
    Jan21$01cannonball.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Jan21$01cannonball.jpg
    Jan21$01cannonball.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 355

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I had one of the first ACE 250s on the T-net when they came out and I never found lack of depth to be a handicap. In a canned coin hunt I found a prize penny at 9". Nine inches is pretty darn deep for a penny that has been freshly planted. I have no doubt that it would pick up a silver coin or a quarter at ten inches especially if it had been in the ground for a while. I haven't tested it yet but I will one day. Right now the ground is so hard I have trouble digging much deeper than 6". I have found that with the ACE if it gives you a repeatable signal on the silver end of the scale, it's there whether you can find it or not. The depth is almost always right on the depth shown when you pinpoint. If you get a signal that keeps bouncing from say 2" to 6", it will almost always be on top of the ground down in the grass. Just a couple of things I have learned about the ACE250. MONTY

OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

Hey Captain Jack,

No, I graduated from Kempsville High School in Virginia Beach, VA in 2001. Graduated from Penn State University in 2006.

HH!

-Hunter

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

All I can say is THE ACE 250 goes deep REAL DEEP get one and see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread