XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure about the shoe, never heard of them mixing Lead in :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

To be honest no, It just feels and looks like it but it could be any mixture. The knife also, I don't really know what that is at the end.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL said:
To be honest no, It just feels and looks like it but it could be any mixture. The knife also, I don't really know what that is at the end.

OK, I thought I was going to learn something new about shoes :laughing7: I think its highly unlikely to be a Lean mix.

Not really see the copper on the blade type object either, looks more like a natural discolouration of the rock. Copper would normally look quite green by now :icon_thumright:

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have,

How are you able to determine that the mule shoe comes from a pack mule. What makes that different from a riding mule, wagon mule or plow mule?

S

stefen

Curious The George said:
Have,

How are you able to determine that the mule shoe comes from a pack mule. What makes that different from a riding mule, wagon mule or plow mule?

Many times a title is provided in an attempt to provide maximum credence to a topic. :icon_scratch:

However, neither the title or the post content stated that the shoe came from a pack mule...only that it came from a backyard, and yet uncertain of the backyard to a mule trail relationship.

Curious how one differentiates between a deer trail, horse trail or mule trail...horse and mule crap would be a good clue...however it don't stay around for 500 years.

Now, attaching the find to DeSoto is probable an extremely far stretch...the only way to ascertain its possible age is thru metalurical analysis...

Typically, mules are barefoot as opposed to being shod...hooves are hard as flint...I ride with a number of mule riders and none (the mule, that is) are shod...most of our trails are steep and rocky...

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Curious The George said:
Have,

Many times a title is provided in an attempt to provide maximum credence to a topic. :icon_scratch:

However, neither the title or the post content stated that the shoe came from a pack mule...only that it came from a backyard, and yet uncertain of the backyard to a mule trail relationship.

Curious how one differentiates between a deer trail, horse trail or mule trail...horse and mule crap would be a good clue...however it don't stay around for 500 years.

Now, attaching the find to DeSoto is probable an extremely far stretch...the only way to ascertain its possible age is thru metalurical analysis...

Typically, mules are barefoot as opposed to being shod...hooves are hard as flint...I ride with a number of mule riders and none (the mule, that is) are shod...most of our trails are steep and rocky...

This is very true,however they did/do shoe mules.The Mule shoes have a distinct narrower than normal width and some what longer than your conventional horse.During the summer we seldom shoe our Mules but do in the winter with cleated shoes for ice

OP
OP
H

Most mules that are or were pack mules were shod. That is if you cared about a mighty expensive piece of your equipment. The reason I say it was a mule trail is because I know more than you about the exact location it was found and if you think you could ride or plow or do anything other than whip that mule up this particular hill you are sadly mistaken!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most mules that are or were pack mules were shod. That is if you cared about a mighty expensive piece of your equipment. The reason I say it was a mule trail is because I know more than you about the exact location it was found and if you think you could ride or plow or do anything other than whip that mule up this particular hill you are sadly mistaken!

.......our Mules are pack mules and traverse more miles in 6 months than most people ever ride there whole life....when a mule is shod they lose some of that sure footedness there are known for :thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

Oh yea, one more thing that gave me a slight clue it was a MULE TRAIL! I have only found MULE SHOES along the trail.

OP
OP
H

".......our Mules are pack mules and traverse more miles in 6 months than most people ever ride there whole life....when a mule is shod they lose some of that sure footedness there are known for"

Okay, cool. This obviously was NOT your mule.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
".......our Mules are pack mules and traverse more miles in 6 months than most people ever ride there whole life....when a mule is shod they lose some of that sure footedness there are known for"

Okay, cool. This obviously was NOT your mule.

Whoa,Pard...wasnt saying your shoe isnt a Mule shoe.We find Mule shoes all the time,I was just saying Mules are not always shod.Lighten up :thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

Here is part of one with a nail head still attached. Pulled it out of the ground and it was covered with the thin layer of rust you see. I popped it once on a rock and more than half the rust just flew off and have done nothing else to it.

Attachments

• Half shoe 001.JPG
    Half shoe 001.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 944
  • Half shoe 002.JPG
    Half shoe 002.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 941
S

stefen

In all appearances, the shoe looks to be a contemporary standard factory-made shoe...

This is based on the groove with the prepunched holes...which is typical of factory shoes.

This type of shoe can be bought off-the-shelf...in fact, I carry a pair in my saddle bags.

This type of pattern offers a better ground traction as opposed to shoes created from bar stock. Was first introduced for race horses and later became a standard for pre-made shoes.

I would suspect that if it was properly researched, the grooved racing horse shoe came onto the marketplace within the last 80 years or so. And stock mule shoes have been around for about 20 years or so.

Attachments

• MULE SHOE.jpg
    MULE SHOE.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,354

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Curious The George said:
Have,

I and my dad have found several mule shoes here in West Texas. I dont know if they were from a train, or from plowing.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Curious The George said:
Have,

One of the photos was labeled "Pack Mule Shoe". That has since been changed.

S

stefen

As I stated previously, many times a title is provided in an attempt to provide maximum credence to a topic. ::)

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
Just as a side note, the Spanish used a distintive style of pack animal shoe, sort of more like an ox shoe than the horse shoes we are used to today. That is one good way to know if you are digging Spanish or early mexican shoes versus others.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't care what anyone says, Its still awesome, great find and HH!! :hello2:

OP
OP
H

Bell said:
Just as a side note, the Spanish used a distintive style of pack animal shoe, sort of more like an ox shoe than the horse shoes we are used to today. That is one good way to know if you are digging Spanish or early mexican shoes versus others.

Thank you Bell, I tested the shoe and it's 99% steel. Took it to a fella who is a guru on metal fabrication and he said it was the old type wrought iron and all the pitting is from the impurities coming out first. He said it could be older but it's probably from 1820-1940. I really appreciate the tip on what I should be looking for, thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread