Found a toy dueling pistol today- Idd as Parris

B

Bev

Found a toy dueling pistol today- Id'd as Parris

I found this cool dueling pistol today about 4 inches down! No markings and it looks as though it's been repaired in the past with a few philips head screws. It actually still functions but I think a long piece on top is missing. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it!
Can anyone tell me about it? This is my second toy gun find so far but I really don't know much about these things.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,154
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,101
Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a toy dueling pistol today- Can't find another like it

Neat find. Probably some kid pretending to be a pirate. Pretty funny, all of us do the same thing! :laughing7:

Brian

coinstar

Apr 8, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COOL .What else did you find???????????????lol :dontknow:

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's pretty neat! Keep em coming!!

-SKHP

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

cool find Bev! :thumbsup:

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find.. :icon_thumleft: I found a toy capgun once from the 60's,a Kilgore model Pal, in my fathers yard in NH,i think it may have been mine or my brothers from when we were kids.Cant remember that far back.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat! I remember those from when I was a kid, very frustrating cap guns, they took paper roll caps one at a time, and if you moved at all the cap would fall off. The cool thing about them was that with a little modification, you could shoot bottle rockets with them. ;D I'm really kind of surprised sometimes that any of the guys I grew up with still have all their fingers......

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's cool Bev. Keep diggin'.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bev, your toy Flintlock could have been made by Parris. The Parris one below is similar to yours, but yours is probably an older, more fancy one. Neat find :thumbsup: Breezie

Attachments

• ParrisFlintlockCapGun.jpg
    ParrisFlintlockCapGun.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,013

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

After WWII there were lots of cap guns made, and I think at one time or another I had one of most of them. Your find is missing the barrel. We never fired bottle rockets out of ours, but I'm sure we would have if we'd had them. As I recollect, they weren't sold as dueling pistols, in pairs, they were sold singly as pirate guns. We didn't use roll caps, there were flat sheets of caps with perforated squares that were torn out to use one at a time. We played more cowboys and Indians with repeating cap guns, rather than playing pirate, so the single shot pistol didn't catch on all that much. The Saturday movie was a cowboy picture 99% of the time, so after the movie we'd play cowboys, and usually only after a pirate movie would we be swashbucklers. Just for kicks, my allowance was a silver .25 cent coin. The movie cost 12 cents, I got a bag of popcorn and a coke, and three pieces of double bubble gum. We lived out on the edge of town, and had to walk all the way to the movie and back. That mistreatment is probably why I'm the cranky old coot that I am now. :wink:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like that cap pistol :icon_pirat: :icon_thumleft:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had one of those when I was a kid. They also made a rifle. They fired a cap, but they also actually shot a round ball made of cork. They came with a ram rod and several cork balls. Very cool, but the later ones didn't actually shoot a projectile like mine did.

OP
OP
B

Bev

Thank you all for your input and stories, I loved reading them all and so happy my little find brought back so many warm memories! Breezie- You are awesome yet again! I can't wait to follow up on your lead!

What else did I find? Well....

I got a great signal under one of the largest pine trees on the property. I dug till my shovel hit metal and made a hollow thump. A box! I dug all around it fighting roots and mulch and took a picture half way through thinking I wanted to have step by step photos of my find of buried treasure! It was an old ammo-type box almost completely rusted away. I lifted it out and stuffed my hand in and pulled out... a thigh bone- Crap! I dug up Fluffy! Man! Arghhh! Oh $%#%^$! I put it all back, reburied it, said sorry to God and Fluffy in that order, said a prayer and 10 minutes later found the pistol. God must've felt back about the bad joke He played on me so he led me to the gun.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Your story made me laugh out loud, not because of poor fluffy, it's just that I'd never thought about it, but somebody with a detector is going to find all sorts of interned things from my childhood. I remember birds in jars along with various pets in containers. I think my brother used one of those metal cough drop containers to bury his pet lizard when it died, probably of starvation, but no doubt loved to death. In my case, watch out for the flower beds, not all things in containers are treasure!!!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very funny story and nice find on the gun! Now you can claim to be an amateur Archaeologist, LOL. You gonna preserve that gun? HH, Mike

OP
OP
B

Bev

Re: Found a toy dueling pistol today- Id'd as Parris

I know, eh? Ugh. Poor kitty...
I dont know Mike, I was thinking that if I can find the missing piece I may have my dad carve a new piece of wood for it out of mahogany. He likes using that and it will go from not being worth much to being priceless (to me).

It's still drying out now but you can tell it's pretty rotted. Can you still buy the right caps?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

NOLA_Ken said:
Neat! I remember those from when I was a kid, very frustrating cap guns, they took paper roll caps one at a time, and if you moved at all the cap would fall off. The cool thing about them was that with a little modification, you could shoot bottle rockets with them. ;D I'm really kind of surprised sometimes that any of the guys I grew up with still have all their fingers......
Musta been before Greenie Stickum Caps,you are an old timer!!!!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

worldtalker said:
NOLA_Ken said:
Musta been before Greenie Stickum Caps,you are an old timer!!!!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Actually I'm just a few years too young for the Greenies (only 41).....but I know what they were.....I had a cap gun that was almost exactly like a Colt Navy that was made for them. It might still be somewhere on my Grandmothers block......if I ever go back to Illinois, I might have to search for it.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a toy dueling pistol today- Id'd as Parris

you can find them at theme parks, they use paper caps,, nice finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread