Farm Hunt - 1854 Canadian Half Cent & 1858 Flying Eagle Cent!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Farm Hunt - 1854 Canadian Half Cent & 1858 Flying Eagle Cent!

Merry Christmas Everybody! :occasion14:

Got back to the Allen Family Farm in Marlbank, Ontario for a 4 hour hunt on Thursday and made some pretty decent finds! ;D Even though this is my fifth hunt at this site, I've always felt that I'm missing something good here, I guess that's why I keep coming back. ;D My friend's grandparents house was built around 1900, but there's obviously been quite a bit of previous activity here over the past 150 years. :icon_thumright: The current owners grandmother used to tell my friend stories when he was a kid of finding coins when she was working in the vegetable garden! Well, those stories were definitely true! As of the end of yesterdays hunt, I've now found 5 Canadian Large Pennies! The pennies I've found have all been dated between 1882 & 1907.

I decided to turn up the sensitivity as I did at the Myrtle School site last week and dig anything I couldn't I.D. at a depth below 4". This is when the broken crotal bells started turning up. I also found the 'clangers' as they were imbedded in the top portion of the body of the bell, although the base of the bell was nowhere to be found! :dontknow: A couple of the Canadian LC's popped up, these were dated 1882 & 1900. What I found next was what I thought was some type of good luck token, because when it came out of the hole I noticed that it was the same size as our standard Canadian penny, only thicker! :icon_scratch: When I looked at it more closely all I could see was a hand giving a 'thumbs up' sign, similar to this :icon_thumright:. But, when I got home and washed it . . . was I ever surprised to see a flying eagle and the date 1858! :o

'The Flying Eagle cent is a United States coin that was minted from 1856 to 1858. The coin was designed by James B. Longacre. The Flying Eagle was the first small-sized cent coin minted in the US, replacing the earlier large cent. The obverse of the coin depicts an eagle in flight, a unique subject for the obverse of American coins. The reverse of the coin has the words ONE CENT surrounded by a wreath, similar to the reverse on the later Indian Head cent and Wheat cent minted until 1958. The United States Mint in Philadelphia struck about 700 Flying Eagle cents in 1856 as pattern pieces, a way to show influential congressmen and senators what these coins would look like. In 1858, there was a "large letter" and "small letter" variety produced. An easy way to tell the difference between large-letter and small-letter varieties is to look at the word 'America'. In the large letter variety, the letters A and M are joined, whereas in the small letter they are not. The small letter variety is a low relief design. The eagle is shallower in the die and the letters are smaller than those used in 1857 and on the 1858 large letter variety. The design didn't last long due to the obverse design opposing the reverse design. The eagle's head and tail were opposite the wreath. The presses had to strike the coins harder to get the design up fully. This caused dies to fail more often. The design was replaced by the Indian Cent in 1859.’

The 1858 Flying Eagle Penny I found appears to be of the ‘small letter’ variety.

My next exciting find came from a depth of only 3" and when I came out of the soil all I could think was, "what the heck is this"?! :laughing7: It had a deep brown patina that immediately started to turn a beautiful shade of green right before my eyes! :o It turned out to be an 1854 Bank of Upper Canada, One Half Penny Token! This is my earliest coin find todate and is definitely a keeper for me! :thumbsup:

‘Upper Canada was ‘The Province of Ontario’ and the Bank was centered in Toronto {then York]. Canada became a country in 1867, when these were minted; Upper Canada was a Province of Great Britain. In 1840, the Union Act was passed to reunite the Provinces of Upper and Lower Canada into the Province of Canada, although the act did not become official until 1841. Under the Province of Canada, only bank tokens were issued and no merchant or private tokens were allowed. No Province of Canada tokens were issued after 1857, as the British government introduced 1, 5, 10 and 20-cent pieces in 1858.’

I do apologize for the quality of the pictures of the Flying Eagle Penny! :-\ I must have taken at least 12 different shots of this coin in different lights and I still couldn't get it to display the date properly! :BangHead:

Thanks for looking and may you all have a peaceful holiday!
Dave

Attachments

• Dec 23 - Marlbank Farm 001.jpg
    Dec 23 - Marlbank Farm 001.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Dec 23 - Marlbank Farm 001.jpg
    Dec 23 - Marlbank Farm 001.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 996
  • Dec 23 - Marlbank Farm 002.jpg
    Dec 23 - Marlbank Farm 002.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 974
  • December 22 Finds 002.jpg
    December 22 Finds 002.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 974
  • December 22 Finds 003.jpg
    December 22 Finds 003.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 976
  • December 22 Finds 004.jpg
    December 22 Finds 004.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,005
  • December 22 Finds 005.jpg
    December 22 Finds 005.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,030
  • December 22 Finds 006.jpg
    December 22 Finds 006.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,102
  • December 22 Finds 008.jpg
    December 22 Finds 008.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,120
  • December 22 Finds 007.jpg
    December 22 Finds 007.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,090
  • December 22 Finds 011.jpg
    December 22 Finds 011.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,088
  • December 22 Finds 013.jpg
    December 22 Finds 013.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,213
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Farm Hunt - Found - 1854 Canadian Half Cent & 1858 US Flying Eagle Penny!

Great coins Dave!
Congrats on that Flying Eagle. :hello2: I just dug my first about a week ago and it was toast. Yours looks mint compared to mine. :laughing9:

Well done Brother. :occasion14:

-Doug-

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great bunch of finds, and a SUPER GREAT FIND for a Canadian farm, the Flying Eagle 1c.
Looks like such a nice area to hunt. Have you seen any wild animals while hunting? Should be home to a few critters.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Great coins Dave!
Congrats on that Flying Eagle. :hello2: I just dug my first about a week ago and it was toast. Yours looks mint compared to mine. :laughing9:

Well done Brother. :occasion14:

-Doug-

Hey Doug! How's it goin man! ;D

I still can't believe I found this in a farm field in Eastern Ontario! :dontknow: My pennies pretty toasted too, but thanks to a good photo editor program on my computer, it cleaned it up pretty good eh! :laughing7:

This part of Ontario was settled by British Empire Loyalists who left the United States in large numbers in the 1780's in support of the British Crown. The borders between our two countries have been fairly 'wide open' over the past 200 years, so it really doesn't surprise me that I'm finding so many old US coins here in Canada! ;D

Thanks for your post bud!
Dave

hikeinmts said:
Great bunch of finds, and a SUPER GREAT FIND for a Canadian farm, the Flying Eagle 1c.
Looks like such a nice area to hunt. Have you seen any wild animals while hunting? Should be home to a few critters.

Thanks for you kind words hikeinmts! :icon_thumright: I think the eagle is an amazing find seeing as it was only produced for 3 years and one happened to find it's way to Canada during that time! :o

I PM'd you earlier this year about sending you some of our Canadian made 'Muskol' Bug Repelant, but never heard back from you. PM me and let me know if this is something you might still want to try, and I'll send you a sample in the mail. :icon_thumright:

Dave

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Farm Hunt - 1854 Canadian Half Cent & 1858 US Flying Eagle Penny Found!

Dave,Those farm sites have a lot of treasure,and you got a fair piece to search.Nice finds! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Farm Hunt - 1854 Canadian Half Cent & 1858 US Flying Eagle Penny Found!

worldtalker said:
Dave,Those farm sites have a lot of treasure,and you got a fair piece to search.Nice finds! God Bless Chris

Thanks very much Chris, you've been doing pretty 'gold' yourself lately! :laughing7:
May you and your family have a joyful Christmas!
Dave

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Re: Farm Hunt - 1854 Canadian Half Cent & 1858 US Flying Eagle Penny!

Way to go Dave!! :headbang: :icon_thumright: Congrats on the Flying Eagle and nice finds all around! :thumbsup:

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW !! A flying Eagle cent !! That is on my all time wish list :headbang: . Super great find Dave :icon_thumright: . Keep hunting that farm , it has lots of treasure still to be found :headbang: .
HH
Glen

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

wow! very nice hunt indeed Dave! same year as the upper Canada half penny i dug last week :thumbsup:
Merry Christmas! :headbang:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You hit it bigtime Dave !! Flying eagle in Canada ... I like those coins :) Well Done and Merry Christmas to you and Yours :icon_santa: dawg

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi ,That bank token is a real beauty and thanks for sharing

tinpan

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Some people wait all there life to snag an Eagle and you pull one from the Great White North :icon_thumright: Excellent!!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet digs. You don't see many of those flying eagles dug. Grats to you!! ;D

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Merry Christmas to you too Dave,
Congrats on the finds, nice oldies in that post. Nice flying eagle, I'm still looking for one myself.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice job.. i would have thought your ground would be froze by now...

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

JW15 said:
Way to go Dave!! :headbang: :icon_thumright: Congrats on the Flying Eagle and nice finds all around! :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy! :thumbsup:
I wonder why they made these coins so thick? :icon_scratch:
The corrosion on it is unusual as well, it looks a lot different then the corrosion on the Canadian LC's that I found in the same soil? :dontknow:

Dave

pl8man said:
WOW !! A flying Eagle cent !! That is on my all time wish list :headbang: . Super great find Dave :icon_thumright: . Keep hunting that farm , it has lots of treasure still to be found :headbang: .
HH
Glen

Thanks very much Glen! :icon_thumright:
Glad to hear that you finally hooked up with with the lady that lost her class ring! :hello2:
Definitely worthy of an Honourable Mention! :notworthy:

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas! :thumbsup:
Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
wow! very nice hunt indeed Dave! same year as the upper Canada half penny i dug last week :thumbsup:
Merry Christmas! :headbang:

Thanks very much Dave! ;D I don't think I saw that penny you found Dave, I'll have to search here for it! :thumbsup:
Have a Merry Christmas also bud! :occasion14:
Dave

CMDiamonddawg said:
You hit it bigtime Dave !! Flying eagle in Canada ... I like those coins :) Well Done and Merry Christmas to you and Yours :icon_santa: dawg

Thanks dawg! :D I still find it hard to believe this coin made it up here, considering it was only made for three years! But, at least it's been found and saved . . . and will be sold eventually too! :laughing7:
All the best to you and your family this Christmas dawg! :occasion14:
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

tinpan said:
hi ,That bank token is a real beauty and thanks for sharing

tinpan

In all honesty tinpan . . . the Upper Canada Bank Token is one of the most exciting finds I've ever made! :D Definitely, my oldest Canadian coin and I'm really happy with how 'clean' it came out of the ground! :o

Love ready your about your finds too mate! :thumbsup:
All the best to you and your family this Christmas! :occasion14:
Dave

civilman1 said:
Some people wait all there life to snag an Eagle and you pull one from the Great White North :icon_thumright: Excellent!!

I hear ya buddy! ;D I'm still in shock that I found this penny in a farm field 200 miles from the nearest US/Canada border ! :o

Just goes to show you how far the old US currency reached back then! :thumbsup:
Dave

Nooberz said:
Sweet digs. You don't see many of those flying eagles dug. Grats to you!! ;D

Thanks very much Nooberz! ;D
Best of luck to you out there! :thumbsup:
Dave

TreasurDiggrNY said:
Merry Christmas to you too Dave,
Congrats on the finds, nice oldies in that post. Nice flying eagle, I'm still looking for one myself.

Thanks for your post TreasurDiggrNY! :icon_thumright:
You guys have a lot of great history in NY State, I'd love to get to see your state capital in Albany one day! :thumbsup:

All the best to you and your family this Christmas as well!
Dave

texjim said:
nice job.. i would have thought your ground would be froze by now...

Thanks Jim! :thumbsup:
We're not frozen up just yet thankfully, but my hands do get awfully cold these days! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex

Great finds, Flying Eagle cent is at the top of my wish list!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love seeing those really old finds in Canada. My area wasn't settled until the 1890's, so I'm jealous of your old history. Great post/pictures as usual Antiquarian!

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread