Foreign coin spill including Big Old Silver!

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! Today I went to check out some new parks. Not much luck at the first; then went to an elementary school where I scored a nice silver earring with a jumbo faux diamond, plus a hot wheels car and Hello Kitty spoon.

Finished the day at a really dilapidated park, where I found another hot wheels and some clad. An hour before dark I climbed up to a circular area above the ground-level. This area was probably original prior to the park being built (in 1967). There were two old tree stumps, one halfway out of the ground.

Quickly found one foreign coin beside that stump, then another, then another! A 1979 Barbados One Cent, 1966 Tanzania 5 Senti Tano, and a 1966F West Germany 10 pfennig! Also found a thin stamped, probably gold-plated medallion of Elizabeth II.

Then, five feet from that I got a huge signal. A 1908S Philippines Peso! This sucker was heavy! It's 80% silver, and the largest and third-oldest coin I've ever found. Coincidentally the only other foreign silver coin I've found was a 1949D Philippines Centavo. WOOHOO! And to top things off, also found a 1988 UK 20 pence in another area of the park. Also found 64 US clads.

It got too dark but I'm definitely going to go over that whole place thoroughly another day. Don't know if it was really a spill from a collector, or a small cache, or maybe there was a coin shop there once upon a time. Either way a pretty suprising and thrilling day!

Happy Hunting and Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• 1908SilverPhilippines.jpg
    1908SilverPhilippines.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 1908SilverPhilippinesback.jpg
    1908SilverPhilippinesback.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,047
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer silver !

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like some kid got into his dad's coins. fantastic silver! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the silver is actually US ( minted in the san francisco mint- not long after the great 1906 earth quake) not foreign * :thumbsup: it was for use in the american controlled phillipines which was a US territory at the time * we won control / ownership of them from spain in the spanish american war . they became a independant country at the end of WW2

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Woo, woo, woo! Time to change your moniker to heep-of-coins! Now that I have my mitts on our detector, exactly where is that particular park, hmm??? For sure there's more there! (don't tell me!)

After seeing your beautiful 1908 coin in the sunlight yesterday and reviewing these pics now, my tendency regarding cleaning would be that if the side with iron stain and standing lady cleans up nicely, then I'd really be tempted to also clean up the eagle and shield side. Hard call, though. I don't regret cleaning my sole silver coin to shining brightness, but am glad I took pics when part of that coin had a soft, mottled grey patina.

In 1908 your Grandpa was a newborn babe --- time flies when we're having fun! Luv, Yo Mama Andi

California Girl

Dec 19, 2011
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, White's Mxt Pro & GMT, Gold Master ll.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heepiepow said:
Hi! Today I went to check out some new parks. Not much luck at the first; then went to an elementary school where I scored a nice silver earring with a jumbo faux diamond, plus a hot wheels car and Hello Kitty spoon.

Finished the day at a really dilapidated park, where I found another hot wheels and some clad. An hour before dark I climbed up to a circular area above the ground-level. This area was probably original prior to the park being built (in 1967). There were two old tree stumps, one halfway out of the ground.

Quickly found one foreign coin beside that stump, then another, then another! A 1979 Barbados One Cent, 1966 Tanzania 5 Senti Tano, and a 1966F West Germany 10 pfennig! Also found a thin stamped, probably gold-plated medallion of Elizabeth II.

Then, five feet from that I got a huge signal. A 1908S Philippines Peso! This sucker was heavy! It's 80% silver, and the largest and third-oldest coin I've ever found. Coincidentally the only other foreign silver coin I've found was a 1949D Philippines Centavo. WOOHOO! And to top things off, also found a 1988 UK 20 pence in another area of the park. Also found 64 US clads.

It got too dark but I'm definitely going to go over that whole place thoroughly another day. Don't know if it was really a spill from a collector, or a small cache, or maybe there was a coin shop there once upon a time. Either way a pretty suprising and thrilling day!

Happy Hunting and Happy Holidays!
:headbang:Awesome finds. Nice Silver. Nice coins in general. Keep on hunting....

OP
OP
heepiepow

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the congrats and info!

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ! that peso is pretty cool , think i'llhave to try and get one of those for my collection. Nice find .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions