Very Rough New Years Eve

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
Very Rough New Year's Eve

On New Year's Eve, with the weather being the mildest in years, Abe and I decided to go detecting back at the Union cavalry camp in south central Missouri and possibly Sharp's Hill again. We went to a different location and although I found a couple of shot bullets and a few nails and part of a iron buckle, my Garrett was acting up so much it made it difficult to detect. I have had problems down there before and each time I notice there has been unusual solar flare activity. Apparently the 29, 30 and 31st saw high levels of activity and I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem as me or if I am just speculating.

We decided to go back to reliable Sharp's Hill. We had no more gotten out our gear than a woman walked up and asked if we were searching for the lost girl. The hill is near a mobile home park and when I looked up the dirt road we had just come down, there were several sheriff's deputies and an ambulance. Apparently someone had called in a 911 about a young girl running around screaming with her wrists slashed and bleeding. When approached, she ran into the very woods and pastures we were intending to hunt. We went into the woods expecting to find her but we never saw her and we never learned what happened and I have not been able to find any newspaper print on the incident.

I borrowed Abe's White (by the way how many guys would loan out their detector to someone. That Abe is quite a guy) while Abe used his old Fisher. As you can see from the pictures, we had some luck but the hill has been pretty heavily hunted. Abe did find the unusual item of the day. The large item in the lower left hand corner is a sardine can from the camp, his third such find there. The lower right hand corner item appears to be a type of spike but I am not sure what kind.

Sadly, the delay in posting comes from the fact that later that night before midnight, my beagle of 15 years had her first seizure and the next day after several more seizures, I had to have her put to sleep. I have not detected since. It hit me hard but I am ready this wekeend to go back out and start anew.

Thanks for reading and visiting. Here's to a mild winter for everyone.

Attachments

• 12-31-11.jpg
    12-31-11.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 563
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Very Rough New Year's Eve

Good hunt, with nice assortment of finds. And, your post has quite an assortment of subjects in it.
Hunting on New Years Eve, for starters. Then, the girl that had the problems. And then, your lifelong companion
having to be put to sleep. I know about that feeling. Had to put to sleep a nice little female dog, after she had
her first litter of pups. She was too good of a mommy, and somehow she got infection that spread all through her
body. Best to put them to sleep, although that was some 40 years ago, and I still see her soft eyes looking at me
while the vet was preparing her for her final shot. ( I do think that she was saying, "Thank you," as her quality of
life would have been pitiful, and would have deteriorated quickly.) My condolensces.
Glad you are feeling better about things. Hope that you do some good hunting in the next weeks/months. Keep
us posted. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread