Look What I finally found this year in upstate NY!

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I woke to find this here in Upstate NY........guess winter is finally here. I am thankfull for the nice weather but at the same time welcome a little snow.....my legs need a break from MD'ing. ummm....I just may go dig one hole though....just one I swear.

Attachments

• IMGP1954.JPG
    IMGP1954.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IMGP1955.JPG
    IMGP1955.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,393
Upvote 0

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where you are in upstate NY, but in the Rochester area, they are calling for 45 and rain on tuesday, so it might not last.

Scott

OP
OP
Nirros

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well....that was at 8 this morn.....with what we have now.....it will be a little while even with 40 and rain to melt it. BTW Im up in Dexter....just outside Watertown.

OP
OP
Nirros

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just went out in what we call a mild squall and others would call a blizzard. Yes I did take the MD out and after clearing 8 inches of snow from a 3 foot area I hit a nail....lol. I went to replace the plug and couldnt find it.....guess Im done til things calm down . I will post a pic of what we have later on if any of you southerners want to see.

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nirros,

I feel your pain brother. I'm just north of Ft Drum in Philadelphia and it's getting after it here. It's been white out conditions off and on for 4 hours now.

Have you found many 'good' spots to detect up here? I'm new to MDing and can't wait to get out when it thaws out.

Bayter

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No snow here yet to warm this weekend will be in the mid 20,s it was bound to happen but by Monday back to the 40,s :thumbsup: HH Jim

OP
OP
Nirros

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bayter. I am relatively new also but have a few places in mind. We should get together and plan a hunt. My Bro-in-law just started too but he hates the cold. If you travel around your neck of the woods and see an interesting place you can search the county gis for land owners and get permission. I really cant trek on uneven ground due to injury and am limited to maybe 1 hr of detecting before I have to give the legs a rest so I havent explored yet. I am working on a few local sites now and hope to be able to hit them in the spring. you also might want to check out the history on sterlingville....it was where drum sits now and I think you can get a permit to hunt some of the old towns as long as you arent near the impact area.

OP
OP
Nirros

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add I will be trying to line up some landowners in Sacketts harbor.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain......no snow! It was nice while it lasted, glad i went out wednesday and found a few nice things down in the southern tier! Keep on Diggng NY!! :icon_thumleft:

PB140026.JPG

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nirros,

Wow, looks like we think along the same lines. Have done a lot of research on it. It actually sits about 2 miles (as the crow flies) from me. I've found that there were 5 towns and 13 cemeteries on the airfield side of Drum that we're taken over in the early 40's. I've also done a lot of driving around the area and found a few older parks that looked promising. I can't get over the number of properties around here that have 150 year old buildings on them. *Deep Breath* I'm getting all worked up. :BangHead: MAN, I can't wait until Spring.

Bayter

OP
OP
Nirros

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Black River so I have heard stories all my life about what Fort Drum used to be. 150 year old homes are very plentiful up here. If you look in the villages there are older ones....hint hint. If you know anyone who owns a house in watertown you will want to check with them. I hit my grandmothers house wednesday and got a 1900 IH.....which after talking to my uncle was newer than a large cent my grandfather found there. That got my blood pumping. The only problem I find so far in this area is the junk.....which you HAVE to dig through to get at the good stuff. If I remember right philly has a couple old churches you will want to ask about. Antwerp would be another great town which is actually on my list of places. I just thought of an island that an old workmate of mine owns in the thousand islands ......I will have to give him a call!

fairangel

Aug 31, 2011
This southerner feels for you. The snow is pretty, enjoyed seeing the pictures but I'm definitely glad I don't live there. :icon_sunny:

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw several nice looking places between Pilly and Theresa as well. As a matter of fact my daughters school backs up to an old Quaker cemetery. Come spring I'm gonna wear out that play ground ;D.

I just moved from Watertown a few months back, after pulling up an old map from 1888 I noticed that the house I lived in was on it. Wish I would of owned a detector before now. I'd really like to hit that yard.

We need to get together this spring and do some detecting. With your health issues we can take it slow. That's certainly no problem for me. :whip2:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yah Pa. is a whiteout also

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday afternoon I finally went out to snow blow the driveway. We had about 6-8 inches of snow in it. I finish up with the last strip and see satin >:D from down the street. He was driving a snow plow. The streets hadn't been plowed all day so there was quite a bit in the street. but I digress. So as I was saying I see satin >:D fast approaching. Right before he gets to my driveway that was completely clear of snow up to this point, he starts laughing. If looks could kill this guy would be dead. He left a two foot pile and about 20 feet wide at the end of my drive. I hate snow. :BangHead:

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am already ready for the cold weather to disappear! I would rather it be 100 degrees then having to deal with cold weather... :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Nirros

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I took some pics for you southerners.......first one are 8 pm last night second two are today after I got done cleaning out......6 hours i might add and it never got above 12 degrees. the last pic shows 14 inches on the level and.....my digging area if I get an itching ....lol which I did and came up with nails. We had bare ground until yesterday morn.

Attachments

• IMGP1961.JPG
    IMGP1961.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 521
  • IMGP1958.JPG
    IMGP1958.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 521
  • IMGP1962.JPG
    IMGP1962.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 544
  • IMGP1963.JPG
    IMGP1963.JPG