Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found your first Musket/Round Ball. The "Minie" ball is a conical shaped bullet common at CW sites. Nice digs! That shoe is pretty cool.

OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiros32 said:
Looks like you found your first Musket/Round Ball. The "Minie" ball is a conical shaped bullet common at CW sites. Nice digs! That shoe is pretty cool.

That made my day, cause I'm in Central Alabama. No major action was here. Thx for the knowledge..

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Big iron is a blade guard for a New holland haybine or sickle bar mower.

OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HILL BILLY said:

Good call, nailed it. Thx

Attachments

• new101.jpg
    new101.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 387

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HILL BILLY said:

Thanks for that ID - I find them all the time. Knew they were farm related, but that's all. You dress funny for a farmer. ::)

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Your "Mini Ball" is in fact an early musket ball, commonly referred to as a Round Ball. The term Minie Ball is used to described the long bullet shaped (pointy nose) lead projectile with a hollow base for expansion into the rifling of a gun. As described in the post by Kiro32, these were popularly used during the American Civil War conflict. The reference though is merely for descriptive clarification, as a Round Ball and Minie Ball are two entirely different items.

Recovery of a solitary round musket ball without military context, merely indicates someone was in the vicinity with a gun, during the 17th, 18th, or 19th century. ;D Round balls were used by every man in every American frontier, to shoot squirrels, deer, hogs, Indians, their feuding neighbors, or anything else that crossed paths. :wink:

CC Hunter

OP
OP
fireman4youu

fireman4youu

Oct 11, 2006
Millbrook, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC Hunter said:
Your "Mini Ball" is in fact an early musket ball, commonly referred to as a Round Ball. The term Minie Ball is used to described the long bullet shaped (pointy nose) lead projectile with a hollow base for expansion into the rifling of a gun. As described in the post by Kiro32, these were popularly used during the American Civil War conflict. The reference though is merely for descriptive clarification, as a Round Ball and Minie Ball are two entirely different items.

Recovery of a solitary round musket ball without military context, merely indicates someone was in the vicinity with a gun, during the 17th, 18th, or 19th century. ;D Round balls were used by every man in every American frontier, to shoot squirrels, deer, hogs, Indians, their feuding neighbors, or anything else that crossed paths. :wink:

CC Hunter

Its misleading, but I'm glad I found it and you guys were here to teach me, it only took 12 years....lol THX

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Stonewall said:
HILL BILLY said:

Thanks for that ID - I find them all the time. Knew they were farm related, but that's all. You dress funny for a farmer. ::)

Spent a many of hours dragging a NH haybine around so the piece was pretty obvious to me. if they are not broke save them, I think they cost around 8-10 bucks each. I always carry a spare on board in case one gets broken in the field, sure are a pain to fix.
You should see me on a tractor :blob7: :blob7:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HILL BILLY said:
Old Stonewall said:
HILL BILLY said:

Spent a many of hours dragging a NH haybine around so the piece was pretty obvious to me. if they are not broke save them, I think they cost around 8-10 bucks each. I always carry a spare on board in case one gets broken in the field, sure are a pain to fix.
You should see me on a tractor :blob7: :blob7:

:o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread