CaneField Bandits: Double SPANISH Hunt Today!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Just when I thought I'd seen it all with the double helping of 1840s, Orleans Mint Seated Liberty Goodness last hunt, we moved our game to the next level--and half a century earlier--this week with a double Spanish Silver day! :hello2:

First off, let's get everyone in the mood with a soundtrack for you to listen to while you read this post, and then I'll tell ya a story. 8)

I met up with Shanegalang and we got on the muddy mucky canefields this morning at Dawn. Stopped by and said hello to Old Bernard Bonnier and he came along with us as our mascot on our hunt. We had noticed some signs of a few other houses on the massive property during our earlier hunts, and decided to go and check one of them out. The amount of brick was intense for this one, to the point that we thought it might've once been an old Sugar Mill. It was almost as if a brick bomb had dropped from the sky and exploded all over the field.

We got to work.

Immediately, we started digging flat button after flat button.

1.jpg

I got a nice tombac, and found a piece of a Civil War sword belt rig. Shane dug a WWI era great seal button. But to be honest, these were the only post-1850s finds made today. I dug a piece of a solid silver spoon bowl (scalloped shell design where it meets the spoon bowl). Shane dug a nice cast pewter domed button with a fat shank on it. :thumbsup:

As the clouds overtook the skies we started getting hungry, so we decided to take a little break and grab some file gumbo. ;D We kept getting more and more hungry, and dragging our feet on that break... Well, right before our lunch I got a call from Hill Billy asking what I was doing. "What do you think I'm doing?" I asked right back. :laughing7: He then told me to get off the phone and get hunting so Shane didn't skunk me.

I turned the next row, and got a shallow double-beep signal right on top. I dug a little little baby scoop out of the muck and and saw a flash of something shiny! I immediately got down on my knees to take a photo of the little beauty. I knew it had to be either a 3c silver or Spanish. And when I saw how worn it was, I knew it had to be a Spanish Half Real.

2.jpg

Old Bill Hilly must have called me with the good mojo, because my last Spanish was dug the year I met him. Since then, he has managed to hoover them all up--from Half Reales to One Reales, and even FOUR Big 8's. ::) I had to move 750 miles away to dig one again. :D

After the excitement and celebration, we decided it would be a good time to break for Gumbo.

When we returned to our new favorite field, Shane was on a mission. He dug a trigger guard piece, two padlock keyhole covers, and a nice Colonial Shoe Buckle Piece. :whip2:

Then in an instant, he looked at me and said "I found something the same as what you found!" My gears started turning, probably looking at him with a blank expression thinking "Bullet?" "Button?" Did he find a sabre belt rig piece? He looked at me and clarified things: "COIN!" :D
At that point, I decided to run over. It was a SECOND Half Real!!! :headbang:

3.jpg

We hit it a bit longer, all the while watching the weather radar as the storm clouds moved in, and the cold rain spat at us off and on. (Translation for the Northerners on the Forum: "Cold" rain is 60 degree rain when it is almost 80 outside. Brrrrr! :D) Right after I snapped this photo, the rain moved in and poured buckets on us, ending the hunt.

4.jpg

FINDS PHOTOS BELOW:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will, glad to see you adapt to the LA hunting grounds and getting finds now to keep your appetite for detecting going full throttle. Sure is nice when both hunters get a Spanish coin on the same hunt! Nice variety of finds, and I guess from what I see in your posts, you might be the southern version of the Iron Brigade but more now like a pottery shards brigrade! ;D

Don

Canoe

Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't kick it!!!!!!!!!! Those pottery shards are truly BOOTAFUL!!!!!

Canoe :cat:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice reale and pics ....congrats ! :hello2:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Will, double Spanish equals a great day !

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Cane Field Bandits are on a Colonial streak. That is the way you do it. I am impressed with your quality of LA finds, Buck. The pottery is killer. I know you will be digging a Spanish button soon.

Kirk :hello2:

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont think I have not been keeping an eye on you. Well done! I just got back from Chicago on official business. I do mean ON business.

KFB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
Dont think I have not been keeping an eye on you. Well done! I just got back from Chicago on official business. I do mean ON business.

KFB

You are an endangered species on TreasureNet these days. We gotta catch up. Expect a call. :thumbsup:

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:

KFB

You are an endangered species on TreasureNet these days. We gotta catch up. Expect a call. :thumbsup:

I still look to see if you are still using the skills I showed you ;D Happy to see you all are doing well down there. I'm to the point where my right arm is becoming useless from the bone spurs again just like 5 years ago or however long that has been. I do miss it.........smoking you out in the field that is. Spanish silver in the middle of a park! Still can't get over that one. The look on your face as they say, 1 detector 750 dollars, gas to the park 5 dollars, 2 jamocha shakes 4 dollars, the look on your face when I got Spanish silver in the most hunted park in the city.........just insane!!!!!!! Good times Will. I will never ever forget them. I hate knowing my run in this hobby is over. I got a couple of good pieces over the years so it's alright. Never found that KGC gold or elusive luggage tag. Everybody take care and keep it coming out of the ground for uncle Tom. I feel like I'm with you when reading about your hunts.

KFB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:

KFB

I still look to see if you are still using the skills I showed you ;D Happy to see you all are doing well down there. I'm to the point where my right arm is becoming useless from the bone spurs again just like 5 years ago or however long that has been. I do miss it.........smoking you out in the field that is. Spanish silver in the middle of a park! Still can't get over that one. The look on your face as they say, 1 detector 750 dollars, gas to the park 5 dollars, 2 jamocha shakes 4 dollars, the look on your face when I got Spanish silver in the most hunted park in the city.........just insane!!!!!!! Good times Will. I will never ever forget them. I hate knowing my run in this hobby is over. I got a couple of good pieces over the years so it's alright. Never found that KGC gold or elusive luggage tag. Everybody take care and keep it coming out of the ground for uncle Tom. I feel like I'm with you when reading about your hunts.

KFB

Man, you know if we hadn't met, there would be a lot of relics still in the ground. It really got me fired up about the hobby again. Yeah, that spanish was crazy. You with the purple people eater coil. :laughing9: That's what did it to your arm was trying to swing that trash can lid around.

I will call soon.

-BB

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Ohhhhhh booooy! Buckleboy's back to hunting farm country!

Awesome double Spaniards, Buck! I haven't been viewing Tnet much at all for the past year. However, Kirk has been telling me what "The Bandits" in LA are finding and I couldn't resist the urge to check them out! No doubt an early site you guys are working there!

Killer Louisiana field finds! :headbang:

Kyle

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW you guys! what a freakin spot! sweet stuff right there! :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,nice button cleaning article by the way in W&E treasures. :headbang:

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got to go into the middle of nowhere to find your Spanish silver ? Why don't you just go to a public park like I did ? :headbang: good times !

KFB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
You got to go into the middle of nowhere to find your Spanish silver ? Why don't you just go to a public park like I did ? :headbang: good times !

KFB

I don't have the balls to dig something that old in a public park. :D But then again, I'm also to fashion conscious to swing a three-foot diameter PURPLE searchcoil. :laughing7:

:whip2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread