NEW SITES: CIVIL WAR NAVY TONGUE AND Ultra Rare Late War EUREKA Shell Sabot!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, I'm back with my latest finds from my last outings! I got out last week after a week of no digging and was finally free to spend a few hours digging til my hearts content. It started out slow :-\ at a couple reserve sites that always produce a few relics but it was slow......just a couple of bullets. Went to scout a new site that ended up being a bust, nothing much there....then I ended the day at a new site that I've had my eye on that finally got cleared. I had had some good luck in the adjoining property with a lot of Civil War Military buttons, a bunch of bullets and coins....When I first got to this new spot I wasn't holding my breath but I had a feeling there would be a few Civil War relics in there....the first couple of signals were can slaw and then a button signal! Out popped an Eagle button, then a few minutes later another but then followed by 3 cans :/ Then I got another very strong, loud signal and I thought to myself "well mine as well dig this can up too so that I can clear out the trash". I popped the plug and scooped out some dirt, then took another scoop and was about to take a third when I quickly glanced to my dirt pile to see if the target had popped out yet and there, laying UPSIDE DOWN, was a TONGUE to a tongue and wreath buckle!! My adrenaline was going at this point because I didn't know what kind it was, so I held my breath and flipped it over and gingerly removed some dirt away. That always-hoping "C.S." didn't pop out but a beautiful BIG eagle did! Although it wasn't a C.S., it was another hard to find Tongue: watch it below. Other than a bend to it, it is complete and intact! *I've actually already worked my magic on it and straightened it for the display case. :)

ALSO, I found an artillery sabot that was unlike any I've seen or dug over the years but knew it had to be Civil War by the make and all the Civil War relics that I had dug from this site. When I got home I contacted a friend I know, Jack Melton, who runs an artillery site as I had a suspicion it was a rare find. Well after a couple of hours he calls me back and asks if he can forward my number to a renowned artillery expert and author, Mr. John D. Bartleson, Jr. He said that it was none other than a late war (1864 field tested by Washington Artillery) Eureka Sabot and that in his 50 plus years he knows of only one other ever being recovered (that one documented in a book on CW artillery) and of the two, mine was in much better shape and went on to say about my attached photos of the Eureka Sabot that "The attached early model is pretty rare. On a scale of 1 - 10, a ten being rarest, it is a 10." In fact, he has asked that I send some photos so that he can sketch it for an upcoming book as it is the best example of a Eureka Sabot he has seen....I knew it was rare when I dug it, but not quite that rare.

Finally, I teamed up with a friend of mine Wes, and we went and dug a new field site and we ended up digging some Buttons, I got a 1820 Large Cent and he found a very well preserved 1857 Flying Eagle as well so here's the lot thanks for lookin :icon_thumleft::

CIVIL WAR EUREKA SABOT

EXAMPLE OF EUREKA SHELL
FAOiiib12.jpg

IMAG0073ed.jpg

IMAG0071ed.jpg

MDPics 001ed.jpg

MDPics 002ed.jpg

MDPics 023ED.jpg

3 Piece New York Coat and Big Eagle I

MDPics 004.jpg

(Disc/Plow struck...also found a lead weight about 3 feet up cut completely in half by the disc)
MDPics 009.jpg

CIVIL WAR UNION NAVY TONGUE

Uncleaned:
IMAG0076ed.jpg

Cleaned and Straightened:

22043_12_02_12_11_24_47.jpeg

Group Shots:

MDPics 011.jpg

MDPics 012.jpg

MDPics 020ed.jpg

22043_13_02_12_6_01_06.jpeg

Attachments

• Navy Tongue.jpg
    Navy Tongue.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2,436
Upvote 0
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seabiscuit said:
Real nice finds there Josh. Good job. That navy tongue is a banner find in my book! I will vote for it!

Thanks buddy! :icon_thumleft:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTDE3 said:
There ya go! :thumbsup:
Congrats on making banner again! :headbang:

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :hello2:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds...congrats on an awesome tongue and the banner.

Next time you do your own restoration I would love to see a video of that. I assume you just heated it up the used something that would not mar the metal to straighten it. Nice work.

Happy hunting

NJ

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTDE3 said:

Rob, you called it home buddy, thank you to a good friend :icon_thumleft:

kuger said:
RTDE3 said:

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :hello2:

Same goes for you to Kuger, thank you my friend :occasion14:

Thank you to everyone else as well, y'all make TNet what it is :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

U

umrgolf

congrats on the banner Josh.. I need to get out there and dig soon, you are a class act digger and historian :icon_thumleft: I don't think I've ever met anyone who knows more about history than you. Anyone who's ever dug with you or had a chance to talk with you can attest to that. Keep digging the good stuff, my friend. :headbang:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the banner, also on the sabot :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds. The sabot has some wonderful rifling that just reminded me of a lead find that I dug a few years back. Time to dig through my boxes and see what the heck I found. Thanks for the post and the nice saves. Arty

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the Tongue, making the banner and other sweet finds :headbang: !

TommNJ

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs Josh. That tongue is a sweet find.

I hope the shell turns up, great looking Sabot.
-Evan

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
aNOTHER FANTASTIC POST BUDDY. GRATS ON THE BANNER FOR THE TOUNGE. THE SABOT DESERVES ONE AAS WELL!!! GOOD DIGGIN-JAMES

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another :blob7:

Top Member Reactions