Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    DIG, RECOVER, PRESERVE...THE SCOURGE OF THE DIRT!

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    271 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (12)

NEW SITES: CIVIL WAR NAVY TONGUE AND Ultra Rare Late War EUREKA Shell Sabot!

Hey Guys, I'm back with my latest finds from my last outings! I got out last week after a week of no digging and was finally free to spend a few hours digging til my hearts content. It started out slow at a couple reserve sites that always produce a few relics but it was slow......just a couple of bullets. Went to scout a new site that ended up being a bust, nothing much there....then I ended the day at a new site that I've had my eye on that finally got cleared. I had had some good luck in the adjoining property with a lot of Civil War Military buttons, a bunch of bullets and coins....When I first got to this new spot I wasn't holding my breath but I had a feeling there would be a few Civil War relics in there....the first couple of signals were can slaw and then a button signal! Out popped an Eagle button, then a few minutes later another but then followed by 3 cans :/ Then I got another very strong, loud signal and I thought to myself "well mine as well dig this can up too so that I can clear out the trash". I popped the plug and scooped out some dirt, then took another scoop and was about to take a third when I quickly glanced to my dirt pile to see if the target had popped out yet and there, laying UPSIDE DOWN, was a TONGUE to a tongue and wreath buckle!! My adrenaline was going at this point because I didn't know what kind it was, so I held my breath and flipped it over and gingerly removed some dirt away. That always-hoping "C.S." didn't pop out but a beautiful BIG eagle did! Although it wasn't a C.S., it was another hard to find Tongue: watch it below. Other than a bend to it, it is complete and intact! *I've actually already worked my magic on it and straightened it for the display case.

ALSO, I found an artillery sabot that was unlike any I've seen or dug over the years but knew it had to be Civil War by the make and all the Civil War relics that I had dug from this site. When I got home I contacted a friend I know, Jack Melton, who runs an artillery site as I had a suspicion it was a rare find. Well after a couple of hours he calls me back and asks if he can forward my number to a renowned artillery expert and author, Mr. John D. Bartleson, Jr. He said that it was none other than a late war (1864 field tested by Washington Artillery) Eureka Sabot and that in his 50 plus years he knows of only one other ever being recovered (that one documented in a book on CW artillery) and of the two, mine was in much better shape and went on to say about my attached photos of the Eureka Sabot that "The attached early model is pretty rare. On a scale of 1 - 10, a ten being rarest, it is a 10." In fact, he has asked that I send some photos so that he can sketch it for an upcoming book as it is the best example of a Eureka Sabot he has seen....I knew it was rare when I dug it, but not quite that rare.

Finally, I teamed up with a friend of mine Wes, and we went and dug a new field site and we ended up digging some Buttons, I got a 1820 Large Cent and he found a very well preserved 1857 Flying Eagle as well so here's the lot thanks for lookin :

CIVIL WAR EUREKA SABOT

EXAMPLE OF EUREKA SHELL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0073ed.jpg 
Views:	2807 
Size:	517.1 KB 
ID:	606811

Name:	IMAG0071ed.jpg 
Views:	2796 
Size:	466.0 KB 
ID:	606812

Name:	MDPics 001ed.jpg 
Views:	2906 
Size:	494.8 KB 
ID:	606828

Name:	MDPics 002ed.jpg 
Views:	2924 
Size:	421.4 KB 
ID:	606829

Name:	MDPics 023ED.jpg 
Views:	2992 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	606813

3 Piece New York Coat and Big Eagle I

Name:	MDPics 004.jpg 
Views:	3032 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	606816

(Disc/Plow struck...also found a lead weight about 3 feet up cut completely in half by the disc)

Name:	MDPics 009.jpg 
Views:	3273 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	606817

CIVIL WAR UNION NAVY TONGUE

Uncleaned:

Name:	IMAG0076ed.jpg 
Views:	2923 
Size:	404.2 KB 
ID:	606814

Cleaned and Straightened:

Group Shots:

Name:	MDPics 011.jpg 
Views:	2273 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	606818

Name:	MDPics 012.jpg 
Views:	2770 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	606819

Name:	MDPics 020ed.jpg 
Views:	2847 
Size:	425.9 KB 
ID:	606820

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navy Tongue.jpg 
Views:	2373 
Size:	664.0 KB 
ID:	606815  

Re: NEW SITES: UNION NAVY TONGUE AND Ultra Rare Late War EUREKA Shell Sabot!

Gotta vote BANNER on the tongue Sentinal! CONGRATS!! Hogge
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2758 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Wowza bud!!!!That is a killer Tongue Man!!!RARE,you are right!!!!You know how I like them.....man,o,man!!!!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    May 2010
    Claremore OK
    White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
    159 times

Great finds... Congrats
    God Bless...

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2005
    Choctaw Beach Florida
    Equinox 800 and 600, tesoro Cibola with whites and minelab pinpointers
    1402 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Thanks for shooting the vids! Loved em and congrats on some awesome saves.
    God and country.

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1385 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Great job Josh. You've got some cojones bending that tongue back....I would have been sweating bullets

us
    Relic hunter

Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    423 times
    Relic Hunting

Another Banner worthy post The Tongue buckle and the Sabot is Great examples of no matter how many relics that have been recovered, the next coil sweep might be a find of a lifetime .

Very Nice, Bill

us
    Mar 2009
    UpCountry, SC
    XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug, Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
    532 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Nice digs!
    Tongue is awesome. Congrats.

Palmetto

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
    271 times
    Banner Finds (12)

Quote Originally Posted by hogge
    Gotta vote BANNER on the tongue Sentinal! CONGRATS!! Hogge
    Thanks Hogge buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kuger
    Wowza bud!!!!That is a killer Tongue Man!!!RARE,you are right!!!!You know how I like them.....man,o,man!!!!
    INDEED I do my friend, I knew YOU would like it buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wldbil
    Great finds... Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by birdman
    Thanks for shooting the vids! Loved em and congrats on some awesome saves.
    Thanks Birdman, I like to hear from guys who like the vids, that's the only reason I do them

Quote Originally Posted by joeyfresh
    Great job Josh. You've got some cojones bending that tongue back....I would have been sweating bullets
    Hey Joey thanks buddy. I have special techniques for doing those delicate fixes on plates and other relics that I've been using for years and years, definitely do not want to try it if you don't have the knowledge because you're right, you may do more harm than good.

Joshmeister,
    That Navy tongue is outstanding Dude!!! You lucky $oB.
    Great post.
    -Dug-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

Jan 2007
    Virginia
    271 times
    Banner Finds (12)

Quote Originally Posted by nova treasure
    Another Banner worthy post The Tongue buckle and the Sabot is Great examples of no matter how many relics that have been recovered, the next coil sweep might be a find of a lifetime .

Very Nice, Bill
    Thanks Bill, you always have something positive to say buddy. Well if I can find the shell to the sabot, which I am presently trying to do, that would defintiely quailify for a "lifetime" find. Thanks again my friend

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    Joshmeister,
    That Navy tongue is outstanding Dude!!! You lucky $oB.
    Great post.
    -Dug-
    Thank you thank you my North Carolina friend, I'm glad you liked the post and hope things are well down there...we will get together this year and do some digging

us
    May 2005
    Maryland
    MXT
    32 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Splendidly superb saves Josh! Ill vote for those EXTREMELY rare recoveries. Congrats to you buddy.

us
    Jan 2008
    Morristown, Tennessee
    Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil, Garrett Sea Hunter
    295 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Very nice Josh. I agree BANNER on the tongue. Those are some fantastic finds. I will be seeing you next month and hope we find some great relics.

Nice vids and finds Josh, and that tongue is awesom!. Great looking site you guys are hunting. Keep hammerin' it hard and say hi to Wes for me.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    7188 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Nice group of finds Josh! The tongue is a killer relic

The sabot is complete and in really good shape considering it came off a fired shell.

I will be looking for you at DIV next month
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 19
    Half Reals = 30
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links