ca 1790-1810 Coin Silver Tea Spoon, Draped Bust LC, etc

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I hit a site that my son and I hit last back around 1999 or so, but with our older detectors, so I was itchy to get there with 12 more years of experience and a better detector to work with. The site is very tiny and on our previous hunt I only remember getting a few buttons, but do remember an area of iron hits.
Site 257.jpg
So, it did not take long to find the hot area, and right away I got a tombac style cuff button and a few minutes later a very tiny button with the early 1800 back mark design. After about half hour of brush beating I only had the two buttons, but then I got a nice little hit and a small piece of at first I thought harmonica part but way, way too small, probably a tab of some sort, which upon cleaning showed it has a nice design on it, but still have no idea what the relic was part of. UPDATE: Pete (Timekiller) got an positive ID on it, it is the female part of a clog clasp)
Unk Tab.JPG
I wandered out towards the drivable dirt road where my truck was parked and got a BAYER bottle, which after some googling determined it was 1930s era and probably lost by loggers in the area back then, not related to the homestead about 20 yards away.
THEBAYER COMPANYINC.jpg
Since I did not plan on hunting more than two hours I decided to go back to where I first got the buttons which was the debris area for the homestead, the ground was loaded with old clam/oyster shell pieces. I finally got a pretty good high reading, and I was fairly certain it was not a large copper. I was correct, it was a teaspoon sized silver spoon, not bent, buckled or distorted. :icon_thumright:
ShoemakerTeaspoon.jpg

Now the hunt was a success and if I could find a coin, that would be icing on the cake and the icing came a few minutes later when next to a clump of scrub oak I got one of those no doubt about it on the SE large copper coin readings. Sure enough in the hole was on edge in the dirt a large copper. As soon as I retrieved it I could not read any details but just by the thickness and appearance I knew Large Cent.
Retrieving copper.jpg
Copper fresh out.jpg

When I got home and started looking at the finds, I saw that the silver spoon had initials on it "PAC" and on the back side was a Silversmith's name "J SHOEMAKER"
PAC initials.jpg
J SHOEMAKER SPOON.jpg

After some computer searches found out it was a silversmith from Philadelphia who was most active 1790 to 1810 era and his name was Joseph Shoemaker and I found several identical spoons on line auctions, but of course with different initials. He was known for making the "coin silver" teaspoons as the auction houses called them.

Antique American Silver Tea Spoon in the 'Pointed Antique' pattern marked by Joseph Shoemaker of Philadelphia PA, c.1790-1810.

Coin silver refers to silverware produced in America from early colonial times to just after the Civil War. Items of coin silver produced during this time period are over ninety percent pure silver and were made from silver coins. It is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between coin silver and silver plate. Coin silver was usually stamped with the first initial and last name of the silversmith.

Unfortunately the large copper turned out to be not to nice of a Draped Bust Large Cent. Before cleaning I could see the date area was already damaged with corrosion, so I looked the best I could to see if I could make out anything, thought I saw 179? but cannot say for sure, at some point I thought the rare 1799, but dismissed that idea, and if it is 179, than most likely 1798. But could be a early 1800 one, might take some more playing around with it to determine.
1798DrapedBust Site 257.jpg
Group shot of finds
Finds 22Feb12.jpg

So overall I hunted just short of two hours there, got no ticks, despite the temperature being near 60, so a good hunt it was........

Don

Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

nice hunt and very nice spoon :icon_thumleft: that reed looking piece is odd :icon_scratch:

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some really nice finds there Don!
Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good hunt Don, bet your liking this weather we're having.

HB

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice Drape Bust and other Finds, :icon_thumright: ! Pretty awesome spoon too, Congrats!

TommNJ

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timekiller said:
Good to see you out & about Don,Nice digs to.Like your Clog Clasp........you can see them here.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=126
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Thanks Pete, that sure looks like a match! Clog Clasp, female end it beeeee. Hmmmmn, wonder if I have found any before, may have to go thru the junk boxes again someday....

Don

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Timekiller said:
Good to see you out & about Don,Nice digs to.Like your Clog Clasp........you can see them here.
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=126
Take Care,

Thanks Pete, that sure looks like a match! Clog Clasp, female end it beeeee. Hmmmmn, wonder if I have found any before, may have to go thru the junk boxes again someday....

Don
:wink: Knowing you & all the goodies you have stored up,you probably have a bushel basket full. :laughing7:
Take Care,

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don, nice finds!

The picture of the site looks like nothing but a tiny clearing in the woods. What inductions let you know you had found what you were looking for? Clam shells?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great DB, but I really like the old silver spoon.

According to the American Silver Marks site http://www.925-1000.com, it seems to match up to a silversmith named Joel Shoemaker, Philadelphia (b.1764 - d.1829). Active after 1793, thought to have worked in New York at some time.

c_shoemaker_j_pPA.JPG

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alright, Don! I have been waiting for this post. :hello2: The spoon is a definite Banner find. :headbang: They are usually bent into all sorts of shapes. I bet you are ready for a Spring Bonanza. You always have at least one of those at the beginning of the year.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Great DB, but I really like the old silver spoon.

According to the American Silver Marks site http://www.925-1000.com, it seems to match up to a silversmith named Joel Shoemaker, Philadelphia (b.1764 - d.1829). Active after 1793, thought to have worked in New York at some time.

c_shoemaker_j_pPA.JPG

I saw the Joel Shoemaker link before and it has to be in error on the name, there are loads of Joseph Shoemaker listings, maybe Joel was a nickname.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
(Tinpan recently found a similar date spoon but with just 2 Initials)

P= Surname
A = First name husband & C = First name wife

eg. Andrew & Claire Potter

PS. Shaun7 is getting one of these straighten for me, to give to the landowner. (mine has 3 Initials, I have a couple now but mostly bent up by the plough)

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang those big coppers are really cool, i hope i can find one some day! Rare here in Montana, but i know a guy who found one.... so it may be possible!

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Hi Don, well it looks like you really enjoyed your day and found some great finds! Glad to hear that the tics stayed away from you. Wasn't it a gorgeous day??

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great spoon Don! Amazing condition too! I also like the clog clasp, it's a neat little relic and something I had not seen before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread