Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cross Belt buckle & more

I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow that is one sweet indian head :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.

Nice hunt!! :headbang: Sweet IHP :thumbsup:

vadigger89

Feb 8, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds. I want that penny lol.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffy said:
I also have found several of these buckles. And ALL have been from COLONIAL sites. Wow Coop....a video without a Large Cent?!?! your slippin dude...lol

I found one on a Roman Site :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

How many Rev War sites do we have in the UK, & we find hundreds on farmland :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:
sscindercoop said:
prolab69 said:
the sites these were found are all 1820s - 1880s
I also live in NY and have found many and never have any come from a late 19th century sight.

An 1875 Indian Head is late-19th century. I hate to burst your bubble, but they do not seem to be 18th century.

Kirk
You not bursting my Bubble!!! The sight the buckle came from was a battle sight in 1778 smart guy! The house that is on the property is 19th century and the Indian wasn't found near the buckle.

You don't need to be smart to study History, just except the truth, then History becomes easier.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great detail on the IH......good huntin

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:

I found one on a Roman Site :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

How many Rev War sites do we have in the UK, & we find hundreds on farmland :laughing7:
Thats all fine and well....but I to believe these buckles to be from the 18th century and on into the mid 19th. I dig them often in Colonial sites that fizzled out by the 1830's.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffy said:
CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:

Thats all fine and well....but I to believe these buckles to be from the 18th century and on into the mid 19th. I dig them often in Colonial sites that fizzled out by the 1830's.

OK, there is no convincing some people, this is the joy of the hobby, you can believe what you will. Clearly we 'believe' different things.

OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:
CRUSADER said:
Sniffy said:

You think you know everything!!!!!!! How can you be so sure? Sniffy you know whats what along with a lot of others, Believe what you want
OK, there is no convincing some people, this is the joy of the hobby, you can believe what you will. Clearly we 'believe' different things.

Feb 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice Buckle regardless, it DOES favor some of the earlier Colonial Shoulder Buckles BUT it also looks like the Horse Buckles of the early to mid 1800's as well. I believe the offset middle bar is the tell tell key. Nice Find

OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:
I have to agree with Crusaderon this one. This buckle has been in big debates. It is definitely not even close to being 18th century.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk
Based on what? Because Cru said so?

Nope, you're missing the point, I know little, learn a lot, how about you?
I know one thing and I'd like to show ya

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Dig Relics Hoss said:
Very Nice Buckle regardless, it DOES favor some of the earlier Colonial Shoulder Buckles BUT it also looks like the Horse Buckles of the early to mid 1800's as well. I believe the offset middle bar is the tell tell key. Nice Find
:thumbsup: Welcome to Tnet, & well said.

If they were 18th C sling/belt buckles, why are they shaped like horse buckles :laughing9:

OP
OP
sscindercoop

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:
I have to agree with Crusaderon this one. This buckle has been in big debates. It is definitely not even close to being 18th century.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk
Would gladly if I had the chance :thumbsup:

come and show me :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sscindercoop said:
CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
CRUSADER said:
sscindercoop said:
Kirk PA said:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk
Would gladly if I had the chance :thumbsup:

come and show me :laughing7:

This forum is about learning & sharing. If I think I'm wrong or know I'm wrong by good research/opinion I'm the first to put my hand up. However, when you disagree with one of the Leading US authorities on Colonial Buttons (Don Troiani), someone I respect as an expert, I think that you need a rethink.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sniffy said:
I agree with Sniffy on this one.
http://metaldetectingworld.com/photogalary/buckels/pages/B1.htm
anyways the key crusader said is Don is a colonial BUTTON expert.not a expert on buckles.I still believe these are colonial era into the 1800's.Like Jesse's buckles.all mine were found at colonial sites.some not even on maps in 1850 which means the house was no longer a home. I guess this debate will never be settled until we unearth a colonial carcass with this belt attached to a pile of horse bones or human. I just feel based on the sites I detect along with the colonial buttons,tombacs,and coinage.there's no doubt that these buckles were used in the same time frame.that's just my humble opinion.and i'm by far no expert just a detectorist who loves history.
oh and great finds Coop!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Sniffy said:
I agree with Sniffy on this one.
http://metaldetectingworld.com/photogalary/buckels/pages/B1.htm
anyways the key crusader said is Don is a colonial BUTTON expert.not a expert on buckles.I still believe these are colonial era into the 1800's.Like Jesse's buckles.all mine were found at colonial sites.some not even on maps in 1850 which means the house was no longer a home. I guess this debate will never be settled until we unearth a colonial carcass with this belt attached to a pile of horse bones or human. I just feel based on the sites I detect along with the colonial buttons,tombacs,and coinage.there's no doubt that these buckles were used in the same time frame.that's just my humble opinion.and i'm by far no expert just a detectorist who loves history.
oh and great finds Coop!
Its a great debate, but nothing you said convinced me to change my mine that they are POST-Rev War period & therefore are not military related, unless you were talking about post-1800 military horses.
If we all agreed, it would be boring & we would learn nothing :read2:

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great finds. Can't get over the great shape of the 1875 indian. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread