Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the good Sgt and I popped out behind my office at lunch for a short stroll amongst the pine trees. A few penny's here and there presented themselves as we slowly worked a new area. Even the CWO from our building decided to come see how we were doing. I got a grunt on my BH-T4, and I generally ignore grunts due to the law of averages leaning towards a pull tab :BangHead: but this one almost blew the speaker out so I figure we should dig it.

Well, low and behold here was me (the SgtMaj) leaning on my MD, the good Sgt smoking a cigarette, as the CWO dug out the plug with guidance :director: from yours truly. Once the plug was out I gave it a a once over with my Garrett Pro-Pointer (Yes I finally got one) and it chirped away happy as can be. Out came this large almost half dollar size coin. We got it back to the office and after it was cleaned up I realized that it was a Greek coin!! Anyway it turns out to be a 5 Drachmai coin with the image of Constantine II on one side and the former Greek coat of arms on the other. It is made of a copper/nickel mix (hence the speaker blowing grunt) and only 5 million were minted.

Apparently in December 1967, King Constantine was forced to flee the country following an abortive counter-coup against the junta, although he remained de jure head of state until 1 June 1973, when the junta abolished the monarchy and declared a republic. He now lives in London, England and is the godfather of Prince William.

No idea how it got to be 4 inches down in the sands of Camp Lejeune but definitely a conversation piece.

Attachments

• Greek Coin (2).JPG
    Greek Coin (2).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 539
  • Greek Coin (3).JPG
    Greek Coin (3).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coin, you'll ya on post with mds ? thought that was a no /go,,,, just realized i know a guy out there by the name of gunny carr

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nsdq said:
nice coin, you'll ya on post with mds ? thought that was a no /go,,,, just realized i know a guy out there by the name of gunny carr

Lunchtime....Got to get out and get some fresh air. Might as well coin hunt while out there.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
Way to go buddy! That's a cool coin

Thanks! It was definitely a head scratcher at first..

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Not just your ordinary average foreign coin. :thumbsup:

Very true. I figured it deserved a post. We have a Greek in our unit. He reckoned that a Marine must have made a port-o-call during a med-cruize on a MEU and brought it back.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Papa Bear said:
nsdq said:

Lunchtime....Got to get out and get some fresh air. Might as well coin hunt while out there.

yep :icon_thumright:

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Due to a holiday I didn't "drop in" on TNet, I'd ID this one for you in a flash but you did a great job (and learned some Greek history too in the process, hahaha).

Yep, that's our "ex" that lives in England on money he never earned or had any rights on (since the royal family ripped-off the Greek state and people extracting funds and artifacts after they had left the country) still dreaming, as I suspect, of a glorious return as a saviour...

Nice find.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
I know EXACTLY how it got there �� While on vacation in 2007, my son and I hurried a stash of about 60 coins from around the world, Greek, german, Chinese, Danish, Swedish. All modern era. We bought them by the pound lol�� They were originally in a vacuum sealed bag, in a Tupperware container with a postcard and a stamp. Then hurricane after hurricane. I gave up hearing anything about them ��

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread