New site yields Sharpes bullets and nice eagle button Etc.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got permission (after making lots of phone calls and doing some research) to hunt a site that we were certain that it had Civil War activity. There were supposed to have been a few sharpes bullets recovered years ago before the people responsible for the property put the squash on hunting. I figured asking the right people in the right way might get positive results and I was right. So after making sure I was okay to be there I made my first short hunt last Wednsday afternoon. Walked onto the site and started swinging my etrac and the very first signal was a possible button signal at decent depth. Dug the plug and out popped a green General service eagle button in undamaged but corroded condition. Awesome! As I kept swinging up onto the little hill I was headed for I dug 2 ringtail sharpes drops and two pistol bullets, one a 44 cal and the other a 38 (which I had never found any of yet). Also found about a dollar in newer change (digging only nickel, dime, quarter signals and deep pennies). There are a ton of newer pennies up to 3 and 4 inches deep, the good stuff is quite a bit deeper fortunately. That was it for the first day as it was supper time and I had to leave. I headed back again on Thursday and found one more ringtail and a regular sharpes before I had to leave. Friday was another short hunt but yielded nothing but some clad change. Saturday I had all day to hunt and started early. I ended up with 4 more ringtails, 1 regular sharpes and a small caliber pistol round ball. No more buttons and I didn't find the wished for buckle or plate either. Hard to figure this site out, lots of open area but all the finds were pretty concentrated on one small area. There's a building right beside and below this and I bet they cleaned out a ton of good relics when they constructed it. Am planning to check the area on south side of the building next week. Am hoping that the camp was big and spread out. Wish me luck, I sure would like to find a cavalry button and a buckle or box plate before I'm done there (not that I'm complaining about a handful of nice ringtail drops, I had only a few of those in my collection until now!). Only old coin I found was a buffalo nickel, no silver deep or shallow.......yet.
HH all.

Attachments

• marchsharpes.jpg
    marchsharpes.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 207
  • marchsharpes1.jpg
    marchsharpes1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 204
  • marchsharpes2.jpg
    marchsharpes2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 220
  • marchsharpes3.jpg
    marchsharpes3.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 216
  • marchsharpes4.jpg
    marchsharpes4.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 207
  • marchsharpes5.jpg
    marchsharpes5.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 211
  • marchsharpes6.jpg
    marchsharpes6.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ringtails are usually a good sign you are on a Confederate cavalry site. You might pop a CS button out of there.

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it were a CS site but those sharpes were also used by the Union and this is definitely a Yank site (I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure). Lots of Union troops were here during the war, posted all around town so it is very rare to find Reb relics. Only one real battle/skirmish nearby and it was a short one. Have permission now to hunt that site too, though, and am planning to have a look see in the coming weeks/months ahead. I've heard that a few reb buttons were found there years ago. Also some artillery action so who knows what may turn up.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silversweeper said:
I wish it were a CS site but those sharpes were also used by the Union and this is definitely a Yank site (I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure). Lots of Union troops were here during the war, posted all around town so it is very rare to find Reb relics. Only one real battle/skirmish nearby and it was a short one. Have permission now to hunt that site too, though, and am planning to have a look see in the coming weeks/months ahead. I've heard that a few reb buttons were found there years ago. Also some artillery action so who knows what may turn up.

I just noticed you're in Missouri. What I said holds true in Virginia and West Virginia, but not in the trans Mississippi.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No matter who camp it was, the recovery of these items is awesome! I am itching for my next hunt on a camp area.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread