I found something interesting

mamo

Feb 2, 2008
Sheffield PA
Detector(s) used
white's v-3 I DD10' and 5.3'
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I haven't posted much here, but I get on here quite often to see everyone elses finds. On 3-7-12 I had permission to hunt 2 housesat the first house the EMI was bad so I put on my 5.3 coil I am using the DFX, about 20 minute into the hunt I got an iffy signal my knees weren't hurting yet so I decided to dig it. It sounded like 2 targets cut the plug and saw a beautifal old eagle staring at me so I got up and did the happy dance, it was a seated 1876 but too my suprise the eadge of the coin was pealing off. I have dug seated before but never one like this before the VDI was 33 after out of the ground not in the 90's. So that got my attention real quick. magnet will not stick to it the weight of the coin is 8.9 grams. In my red book it is suppose to be 12.50 grams. so I ask all you pros out there what do I have, I do know it is not real but is it an old fake or a newer fake? Thanks for looking and helping.
DSCN0070-1.jpg
DSCN0072-2.jpg
DSCN0070-1.jpg
[/img]

Upvote 0

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've learned on Tnet, gotta be counterfeit.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, counterfeit. Which, in my mind is a more unique find than the real coin.
I dug a similar Barber Half, I think it is made of pewter, with a thick silver wash.
You probably will need to encapsulate it, mine starting crumbling.
Kudos!
Carl

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shows a fair amount of wear, wonder if anyone ever figured it out or if it was just lost?
Maybe the "wear" is artificial so it would pass as genuine easier, back in the day?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Yep, counterfeit. Which, in my mind is a more unique find than the real coin.
I dug a similar Barber Half, I think it is made of pewter, with a thick silver wash.
You probably will need to encapsulate it, mine starting crumbling.
Kudos!
Carl

I agree a counterfeit, and also agree that it is more unique. very cool find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you guys actual read the words in his post and not look at the pictures he already knows it's a counterfeit :tongue3: Probably old fake. Not new. Very cool! :headbang:

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real ones are hard enough to find and you find a fake, Congrats :notworthy:

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthJerseyJim said:
If you guys actual read the words in his post and not look at the pictures he already knows it's a counterfeit :tongue3: Probably old fake. Not new. Very cool! :headbang:
" Ditto" "READ First" Folks!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's why I replied the way I did. Do you think it was made with the wear to pass off as the real thing easier or do you theink the wear occurred naturally from being used in circulation as a fake. That year/mint was highest amount produced (real ones) as far seated halves go. Thoughts? :dontknow:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean you're supposed to read the story that goes with the find :dontknow: :laughing9:

How many of you realized that it was also buried 4" down, :dontknow: not one of you : :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread