Does anyone recognize this makers mark in this ring I found today?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By biggmike
  • 1 Post By Cool Hand Fluke
  • 1 Post By Cleetus

Thread: Does anyone recognize this makers mark in this ring I found today?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2010
    Florida
    CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
    723 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Does anyone recognize this makers mark in this ring I found today?

I would like to say I dug it up but the truth is I found it at an estate sale. It has .925 and 18K inside with a makers mark I think. I only paid one dollar for it but was wondering who made it. Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	621258

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	621259
    history hunter and Megagold like this.

.925 is the silver standard which will be the base metal (92.5%) & the 18K (18 karat gold = 18 parts gold out of 24) must be the gold wash/plating.

I have no idea what the makers mark (CAZ?) in the centre is, maybe someone will reconise it.
    Last edited by CRUSADER; Mar 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Stuck Behind the Iron Curtain in Occupied Soviet California..:(

Nov 2006
    In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern California
    Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. , , Garrett Pro Pointer
    5004 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Having 18K and .925 stamped on the same piece of jewelry does not make much sense. What you might have there is a piece of vermeil jewelry. Vermeil is gold plated streling silver. That's my guess?
    Violets likes this.
    Hunting San Francisco Bay Area since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Fluke View Post
    Having 18K and .925 stamped on the same piece of jewelry does not make much sense. What you might have there is a piece of vermeil jewelry. Vermeil is gold plated streling silver. That's my guess?
    your guess is my guess as well
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Jan 2011
    6 times
    From looking at the picture, it's hard to tell what is what as far as the colors are. My wife and I have several rings made out of gold and silver, and plat. If gold is used it will be marked as gold and if silver is used it will be marked as ss, or 925. If ring is marked gold and platinum it's gold and plat. One of the rings I have is marked 18k and 925. The ring is in the shape of a belt. The belt is silver, the buckle and the belt loop is gold. Also, I have a large silver ring that is marked 18k and silver 925 with an agate stone, around the stone are small round beads of 18k. gold and the ring itself is silver.
    The ring in the post ....looking at it ....my guess is that the outside of the ring is silver and the xx's are gold. You can have it both ways either gold or silver.

HH/sharkman/Rod

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    5676 times
    never seen it before

us
    Nov 2008
    Des Moines, Wa
    Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
    9 times
    I suspect it is from Cazanovia jewelry. They use 18K & sterling together but I cant find a picture of their mark. Here is a link to their website but it's not a very good website.
    Cazenovia Jewelry

us
    Apr 2007
    Menasha WI.
    AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
    304 times
    A couple of years ago found a ring marked 14K and a 925. It looked like a white gold or sterling nugget ring that was not plated at all. WTG!

P.S. Maybe these rings are white gold and are a mix of 18K and 925, or 14K and 925?
    Last edited by history hunter; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:52 PM.

us
    Oct 2011
    Salt Lake City, Ut.
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    OK, I might have the dates a little wrong, but maybe you'll just have to do some of your own research (Lol)........In the later half of the 1800's the Gold standard was changed from Karats to percentage Marks. From about 1860-1910 it was admissible to use BOTH Markings, Karat and .925. Around 1910-1920, the British standard for Gold Marks was changed to the Percentage stamp only. (i.e. .925, etc.). I'm fuzzy on this so you'll have to check it. but if the ring is Gold, and you have the Double Marks, it would indicate a Victorian/ Edwardian era. I just remember this from researching a 22 karat Gold ring I found a few months back. It was Hallmarked 1856 and Marked only with the Karat.......This might help, I think you might get a link off this Hallmark Site that will direct you to the registered Makers Marks and Hallmarks. I believe I saw the CAS Hallmark on the registry, but it was in the silversmith's marks. Many of the Metal workers worked in both Metals though.....Google for other Hallmark directories......Happy researching, you'll learn a lot.......Researching British Hallmarks
    Megagold likes this.

us
    Oct 2011
    Salt Lake City, Ut.
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro
    13 times
    Metal Detecting
    One More, this might be better...... http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...hallmarks2.pdf

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17522 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I have a Tiffany ring that is marked 925 and 18k and it is silver and gold
    so you might want to stop by a jeweler with it - it could be a designer ring
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Nov 2008
    Des Moines, Wa
    Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    OK, I might have the dates a little wrong, but maybe you'll just have to do some of your own research (Lol)........In the later half of the 1800's the Gold standard was changed from Karats to percentage Marks. From about 1860-1910 it was admissible to use BOTH Markings, Karat and .925. Around 1910-1920, the British standard for Gold Marks was changed to the Percentage stamp only. (i.e. .925, etc.). I'm fuzzy on this so you'll have to check it. but if the ring is Gold, and you have the Double Marks, it would indicate a Victorian/ Edwardian era. I just remember this from researching a 22 karat Gold ring I found a few months back. It was Hallmarked 1856 and Marked only with the Karat.......This might help, I think you might get a link off this Hallmark Site that will direct you to the registered Makers Marks and Hallmarks. I believe I saw the CAS Hallmark on the registry, but it was in the silversmith's marks. Many of the Metal workers worked in both Metals though.....Google for other Hallmark directories......Happy researching, you'll learn a lot.......Researching British Hallmarks
    The only problem I see with that is 18K would have been marked .750 not .925.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links