anyone know anything about cocktail shakers?.....

dreamerak

Greenie
Mar 17, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out hunting for the first time this season at an old run down cabin in the woods and came across this cocktail shaker.... It was about 6in. under ground but cleaned up very nicely.... It has a makersmark on the botton with a TC and what looks like a dragonfly or something... I tried to take a pic of the mark but my phone wont make a clear pic of it... those are the only marks on it... I tried to google it but had no luck... I did find one that was VERY similar on christies auctions for 2000.00.... Oh if only I knew if this was an acual piece.... Anybody have any suggestions???

image (6).jpeg

image (8).jpeg image (7).jpeg

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Got one just (Sort of) :-\like it.

Keep my Dads ashes in it.
He was a big drinker, liver gave out.

Perhaps it is not the same, now that I look at.
Sorry, no help here.

Nice find. :thumb_up:

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dreamerak

Greenie
Mar 17, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks chuck, I checked those all out but no dice.... I found one makersmark that is similar from chinese silver shaker but not sure if its it or not... the mark on my piece is somewhat difficult to make out even with a magnifier.... might just have to take it in and have it checked out....

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Dreamerak,

Pretty sure you have already seen this but your item may possibly be a Tuck Chang & Co (Shanghai) silver cocktail shaker. While the company had sevearl silver hallmarks, they did use a simple "TC" with Chinese symbol as well. I have included a link that lists some of their marks. They began business under that name as early as 1901.
Chinese Export Silver Marks - Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Hope this helps.

-Hunter

OP
OP
D

dreamerak

Greenie
Mar 17, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after further reveiw of the shaker and taking it to a few places in town still no one has been able to tell me much... The local assayer did tell me it was silver though so thats a plus....13.45oz... but still nothing on the stamp... I did find that the stamp is not TC but TG and I have a better pic of it....

DSCN1528 (2).jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you confirm the metal it's made of? Photo appears to be silver or even aluminum depending on the weight of it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon closer examination I see what appears to be a silver mark on the front of the piece in the first photo probably a crown or something to that effect, if it is a mark. Can you take a closer look and tell me if i'm seeing this correctly?

image%20(6).jpg

OP
OP
D

dreamerak

Greenie
Mar 17, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be a pin hole.... There is a pin in the bottom of that piece..... Ahhhh, I will post a pic... be much easier to explain....

OP
OP
D

dreamerak

Greenie
Mar 17, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more pics

here are a cpl. more picks of the it... Like I said, the mark is TG and a little emblem... as for the hole in the top, it is caused by the pin you can see in the pic I posted... thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful....

DSCN1528 (2).jpg image (2).jpeg image (1).jpeg image.jpeg image (6).jpeg

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's got that art nouveau look, I'd say 1930/ 1940's post Prohibition ? Nice piece. HH
Broken Knee

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the style/shape of it suggests the same. it is a nice repousse cocktail shaker. It's not marked so i'm assuming it's not sterling and probably aluminum?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread