1918 dime in cash register

C

cwe

To all:

My husband and I went out to
dinner and as we were checking out
they had that little penny dish there
for people to take a penny or put one in.

So I said to the cashier is it okay to look
thru the penneys for the date.

His reply was I have a 1918 dime in here .I just
noticed it . May I see it he smiled and said sure.

I asked him what he wanted for it and he said give
me another dime.I gave him my name and
phone number and call me when he finds any more
old coins.

A lot of old farms around there so a lot of old money
I am sure. But who is looking right.

He ownes the place and my husband goes there
and on Sundays we bring in 12 to 14 people to eat.

I want to thank you all because you had mentioned
about where else you can find coins other than in the
ground.

cwe

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
C,

never know where you'll find something.

Nice find; I always check on the change dish ;D

have a good un.................

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do the same thing....alway's...People think I'm crazy or something,They might be right but I still do it....Gotta 16 wheatie as my best dish find....Take one or Leave one...Did just that!!!....Nice trade and HH!!

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I manage a pizza shop and we see our fair share of old coins in the register... of course I grab all that I can. Unfortunately I have competition on the night crew. One girl collects wheats and one guy looks for silver. Still, I get about 10 wheats and about 25 pre 1960 Jeffersons per week. Plus, this year alone I've got around 5 war nickels, 2 buffaloes, 1 merc, 10 silver washingtons, 20 silver roosies, 3 silver Canadian dimes(Elizabeth II), 1 silver canadian quarter (George VI) and a 1897 V Nickel. This doesn't even include the coins I've got roll hunting from our change from the bank.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
That's awesome and very cool of the person at the cash register. Nice to see peps out there willing to go an extra mile to help you out. Many would laugh at you ....well not laugh ...but give you no chance in hades of seeing their register change. Must less give you a 1918 Merc.

Great deal.

Love to hear stories like this about good peps and the great spirit still found in Americans.

Postalrevnant

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I have received change from buying coffee and what not and when they put the change in my hand I sometimes hear that distinct sound of silver! Got a 1942 quarter from Dunkin Donuts that way.

HH

Funkman

I

ibbasser123

my mother worked for a bank for years and has got over 500 silver dollars. hard to believe people would bring them in and change them out...

D

doyboy

I got an 1852 Seated half dollar in change last week. I spent it on 2 packs of juicy fruit!

OP
OP
C

cwe

Oh my gosh where ...I sure hope the gum was good.

Next time e-mail me and I will buy you a lot of gum
for the coin.

cwe
:o

Silverfox

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
I worked as a manager at a quick lube back in the early 90's and the young kid brought his car in for an oil change. He paid with a roll quarters and the rest with cash. The roll of quarters were all early washington silver, every last one of them. I bet his old man was bad when they came up missing from his dresser drawer. My wife also worked at a bank as a teller and she would come home with silver coins all the time. I bet it doesn't happen much anymore though. HH :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread