Last 2 Scouting Trips: 1st=CW Relics, Today=I donT Know???

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last 2 Scouting Trips: 1st=CW Relics, Today=I don'T Know???

Finally, the late may-like temperatures that we enjoyed in March and early April gave way to more seasonable temps. In fact, we had frost in middle Tennessee this morning. On Monday, I went back to a site near a U.S. camp where I had dug campfire lead, 8 round balls, and a hoof pick recently. The relics from the Monday hunt are on the top row. I think I’ll be able to talk Dman, Tenn. Josh, and Tenn. Digger into a hunt there when the hay is cut. The grass and clover was already too high to hunt on Monday but I wanted to check it out now. The blacksmith made hoof pick shown in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] picture is in Crouch’s book on page 141 and Sekypaleo (Bill) dug one like it last weekend on his hunt.
I scouted a farm near the Cumberland River today where I have dug relics and the 1794 LC recently. I am still searching for a U.S. CW camp that I know is nearby. The bottom row of the first pic contains my finds from this morning. The brass spigot was a surprise and I’m unsure of age. The circular brass piece has “Lunkenheimer Cinc. O.” on it and “Pat date Aug.’70 Apr. ‘74” on it in old font. Lunkenheimer made valves and steam whistles according to my search. I’m unsure of whether it’s 1870 or 1970. I do know it almost caused a cardiac event because it looked like a rosette at first. The iron clamp looks old but maybe Creskol and kuger can help. The lead ball with the untrimmed sprue measures .492” which may be more Colonial than CW and the lead does not appear to have the purity of CW balls. At this point, this site seems more like an old home site than CW.
The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] pic is from a previous hunt. I was puzzled with the folded lead but Tenn. Digger thinks it’s a homemade flint holder for a flintlock musket. The flint was placed between the folded lead and clamped to the hammer. The lead may be a field replacement for 2 hard leather pieces that the flint was placed between when the musket was new. A little help from Colonial hunters would be welcomed.
I snapped the pic of the Ducks and Canada Geese enjoying a nice Tennessee morning on the landowner’s pond as I drove past in the field after my morning hunt. HH, Quindy.
My 2012 CW relics to date=291

Attachments

• Waterfowl 4-11-12.jpg
    Waterfowl 4-11-12.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Maybe a Flint Holder.jpg
    Maybe a Flint Holder.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 104
  • valve handle.jpg
    valve handle.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Hoff Pick. U.S. Camp.jpg
    Hoff Pick. U.S. Camp.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Scout Trip 4-9 & 11, 2012.jpg
    Scout Trip 4-9 & 11, 2012.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Upvote 0

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recoveries!!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
You keep checking that area and I'll bet you start finding some more relics. That barrel tap looks pretty old. Tennessee digger

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Q, you're going to have to build a new room onto your home to keep all of your GREAT FINDS! Way to go!!! :) Breezie

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks JC and HH to you.

Donnie, we will figure this site out.Goos luck tomorrow.

Breezie, not great but curious recoveries. Thanks, Q

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Still some great relic hunting going on in TN! I'm looking forward to winter here! hahahaha!

WTG, Brad!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That barrel tap is a nice relic Quindy.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_thumright: Still some great relic hunting going on in TN! I'm looking forward to winter here! hahahaha!

WTG, Brad!
Looking forward to Winter? You just had 3 weeks of Winter since Dec. in Bama so don't be greedy Nanners. Red Solo Cup anyone?!! HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's my first Steve. I think it's minus the barrel insert. Thanks Bud and HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still in school buddy, keep looking!!
You and the Relic Hound missed some great CW digging in February because of your schedule. I will be happy when you are a fully licensed Paramedic for 2 reasons Andy:
1. You guys can Hunt with us again.
2. Your skills will come in handy when Dman gets injured next time-LOL.
Good luck in school and I know you will do well, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for looking OS. I dug another musketball and other relics there today. Beginning to look more like a couple of old home sites. HH, Quindy.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation, detecting is gold

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quindy....I too would like to know what the rusted "step",looking thing is....I have dug one and it is not a step.Not sure how big yours is,but the one I dug is about 3" at the widest point?

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks HD. Detecting is like golf but more related to luck than golf is I guess. Thanks for looking and good luck, Quindy.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quindy....I too would like to know what the rusted "step",looking thing is....I have dug one and it is not a step.Not sure how big yours is,but the one I dug is about 3" at the widest point?
Cody, I was looking at that piece last night. It looks like a bracket where a rod with a flat side would have fit or slid into it. If you or Rob can't figure it out, I sure can't. Dig a gold nugget for me and HH my friend, Q.

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Nice relics... Looks like you guys will have some good areas to hunt when everything clears :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread