Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay, so this started back in mid March when I went home from NC for my wedding anniversary. :hello2:

I hadn’t been home a full 24 hours yet when I surprised The Bear Cub (TBC) with his very own metal detector. Just previous to that, I had been showing TBC many of the items I had found out in North Carolina on many of my own metal detecting adventures. While TBC the emails I had sent of the things I had found, nothing got the point across to him quite like holding an actual Minie Ball in his hand and feeling the weight of it.

Within minutes of opening the box, we were out in the backyard showing TBC how to use it. I spread several different types of metals in the yard so TBC could hear how the metal detector reacted as it passed over them. Since earlier that day I had been given the green light from the city to metal detect the local parks, we headed over to a park close to The Homestead. :icon_thumright:

We were there almost two hours TBC had some pretty cool finds. Sixteen pennies, two dimes, one quarter, an Avon ring, a few items that look like they came off someones jacket-like maybe half buttons or snaps and a high school senior pendant from the class of 1997. The year TBC was born. The neat thing about the pendant was it had initials (N. T. G.) on the back. A quick trip to the high school front office revealed those initials belonged to only one senior that year. ???

A search on the Internet provided several potential Mr. N.T.G.’s but it was after checking Facebook, that our Mr. N.T.G. became obvious.

I sent him an email letting him know what TBC had found and it wasn’t long before I heard back. Mr. N.T.G. now lives in California and as you can imagine, was quite surprised to hear from us. I think he was even more surprised when I told him we’d put it in an envelope and send it to him. He remembered the pendants were given to the seniors of 1997′s football team but beyond that, couldn’t remember how it is he came to lose it at the park.

Regardless of how it was lost, 15 years after the fact, it was found by TBC and now it is back with its owner. :occasion14:

Just last night I got an email from Mr N. T. G. :

PB,

Thanks again for mailing me my old High School pendent. It was a very thoughtful and generous thing for you and your son to do. I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

N.T.G.

Pretty cool start to TBC's metal detecting adventures I’d say!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 131
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 109
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 129
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Upvote 4

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start, i wish you luck

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone! We have some 1850's fort sites in the county. I will get him out there once I return home in June.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job guys, I wish you the best in your detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread