VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CW Brass Oil Can For U.S. Rifle-Added pic From Book FYI...

The weeds and foliage prevents us from hunting many of our CW sites in Tennessee this time of year until hay is cut. However, I traded for another Fisher F75 as a backup for my F75 I have been using since 2009 and I was dying to try it out in a CW camp. I took a chance and traveled to the U.S. Infantry camp that the Tenn. Trio and Tenn. Digger hunted in Feb. and early March that has produced over 400 relics to date. Unfortunately, the area was completely covered in weeds with few places you could even get a coil on the ground including the woods.
I did find several shotgun brass pieces, melted lead, a brass poncho eyelet, and brass oil can pictured in Phillip’s relic book on page 180 despite the tall weeds. I was pleased with the performance of the new unit. I have dug those oil cans before but only recover the top. A local relic expert told me that the bottom was soldered on and then easily separated and lost especially if the can body was bent.
The first pic is my box of relics from that site representing 15 hunting trips between Feb. 6 and last Monday averaging 3-4 hours each. This was not a virgin site. North South Trader’s Civil War Magazine (due to arrive to subscribers next week) features my article on the background of that site and relics from our hunts there. HH, Quindy.

My CW relic to date in 2012=293
NOTE:
In case you find one, here's what Stanley Phillip's book "Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War 1861-1865" says about them and a pic of a complete one.

Attachments

• U.S. Rifle BrassCW  Oil Can.jpg
    U.S. Rifle BrassCW Oil Can.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Ind.-Ohio U.S.  Infantry Camp 2012.jpg
    Ind.-Ohio U.S. Infantry Camp 2012.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 159
  • img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upvote 0

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery, Quindy! And an awesome display of relics so far from the site! Glad the new machine is working out for ya. Have you ever had your F75 go haywire before? I don't know if it was due to moisture or what, but I was out in the rain the other day detecting(has the rain and dust covers) and it kept making the overload sound. It eventually tweeked itself out and it has been fine since. Really made me nervous though...I have no back up F75! lol

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery, Quindy! And an awesome display of relics so far from the site! Glad the new machine is working out for ya. Have you ever had your F75 go haywire before? I don't know if it was due to moisture or what, but I was out in the rain the other day detecting(has the rain and dust covers) and it kept making the overload sound. It eventually tweeked itself out and it has been fine since. Really made me nervous though...I have no back up F75! lol
Matt, the 2 models of Fisher detectors I have owned both displayed some instability in foggy and wet conditions. However, I have never experienced that degree of instability you did so you may have a coil issue. If your coil is cracked, it will show up big time in freezing weather and wet conditions. I have had my F75 act erratic for 2 reasons: The coil wire plug had loosened on the control head and the batteries were low. Never wait until the battery indicator drops below 2 bars to change batteries. The F75 does best on fresh batteries. Thanks and Good luck, Quindy

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'd better get cracking, somebody else might find something.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'd better get cracking, somebody else might find something.

Oh they already did D-LOL. Dman and Tenn. Josh dug over 100 relics each in that camp after I located the tent lines at the rear of the camp. Tenn. Digger made one trip and scored a real nice 1820 LC. We invited other friends from out of state to hunt too but they couldn't make it. A Michigan Cavalry unit was with them there too according to a soldier's diary but we found no relics consistent with a cavalry camp. May be a virgin Cav. camp closeby for us to find. Thanks for looking.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice haul on the CW Relics, Congrats! Cool oil can and the lead looks awesome!

TommNJ

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Awesome find. I am going to search the old fairgrounds in the morning.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never cease to amaze me Quindy!! Oil can is awesome.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrad's those are awesome finds ! :thumbsup:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation! Good presentation.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice load of finds! HH,Mike
Thanks Mike. They are not the fab relics you consistently recover but above average for middle
Tennessee for this day and time. HH, Quindy.

Joe, the weeds in that field were knee high. I was lucky to even get signals-LOL. I figured the fields would be huntable at Antietam this time of year???HH, Q.

Thanks and I appreciate you taking time to look and reply IF69. Keep up your good hunting as you have added to your collection big time this year. HH, Quindy.

Ham, I appreciate your reply and good luck with your treasure hunting. We buy the walnut dispolay boxes and have goold tags engraved at a local Sports store that makes trophies so we can keep the recoveries specific to a CW site. HH, Quindy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery! I have never seen one of those relics before...I wonder if folks that find them or pieces of them don't recognize what they are or post them. For ever oil can lost in service, I can assure you that far more were lost around folks houses during the era. Very cool relic, and I am going to try and add it to my memory bank so I will recognize if I can manage to get the coil over one.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG Quindy! Can't wait to read your article. Keep at it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread