Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Continental Army Button

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    190 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Looks like it is in great shape, sans the nick.......great find

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Apr 2011
    Ohio
    Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    185 times
    Relic Hunting
    Beautiful button and in great shape, congrats!!!!

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    215 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogge View Post
    Can someone with an Alberts book, give me the variety? Have sent an e-mail to Don T. with pics, but was hoping someone else can ID it before hand. Thanks...............Hogge
    Looks like Albert's GI 2 A

GI 2 Continental Army, General Service, cast pewter, 1-piece with reeded border.

A. The device, a monogram of the initials U S A. Blank; 23 mm.

I am sure there are many other varieties than listed in Albert's book.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	177746_01.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	631442
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	177746_02.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	631443

Links to high res. images:
    http://stacksbowers.com/images/inven.../177746_01.jpg
    http://stacksbowers.com/images/inven.../177746_02.jpg

Final Bid on this item was $1265 back in January 2012.
    Last edited by Neil in West Jersey; May 01, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

us
    Apr 2009
    Central New York
    Minelab Ctx 3030
    306 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Awesome button!!!!! Banner for sure!!!!!! Looks like the one on the bottom left.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020332.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	1,001.1 KB 
ID:	631449

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    Could have been worse.....
    YEP......Could have been a BRITISH Reg. Button!!!! Hahahaha...LOL!
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    282 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Remarkable! Banner! I love it! Don't beat yourself up over hitting it. It is a 1700s button!

us
    Jan 2011
    Phoenixville, PA
    White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Awesome find!!!! Definitely banner! Shank and all! They don't get prettier then that. Makes the 19mm continental button I dug up 2 weeks ago look like crap. Awesome find!

Dec 2004
    Northwest Indiana
    Very NICE!!!!

us
    Aug 2010
    Eastern Pa.
    TEKNETICS T2 SE, Minelab Excalibur 2
    127 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Awesome button in fantastic condition! Banner all the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Briz06 View Post
    Awesome find!!!! Definitely banner! Shank and all! They don't get prettier then that. Makes the 19mm continental button I dug up 2 weeks ago look like crap. Awesome find!
    I saw that! That was a tremendous find. I think I commented, but I will have to look again. If I didn't, Congrats to you! Hogge
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

YEP......Could have been a BRITISH Reg. Button!!!! Hahahaha...LOL!

The Redcoat walked into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    The Redcoat walked into that one.
    Sure did.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil in West Jersey View Post
    How is this not on top yet? BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    Pretty amazing with all these votes isn't it ? Notice how none of the Moderators have commented on this find?? UNBELIEVABLE CONDITION for a dug pewter button, let alone the MOST sought after type of military button from the Rev. War! I don't think it has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the way I "bashed" the new forum on this site! NOOO....Not at all.......'course that would be unethical, to "blackball", on a site such as this,..... wouldn't it!? Darn shame what has happened on this site. Not very good at keeping my mouth shut. Doesn't seem to work for me. But then again, maybe my Flying Eagle will make it! Seems to be more interest in that kind of stuff as of late. "The" e'STEAMED" Hogge
    Last edited by hogge; May 02, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Mar 2008
    upstate ny
    se pro
    3 times
    dirty pennies
    Banner Finds (1)
    Pretty amazing with all these votes isn't it ? Notice how none of the Moderators have commented on this find?? UNBELIEVABLE CONDITION for a dug pewter button, let alone the MOST sought after type of military button from the Rev. War! I don't think it has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the way I "bashed" the new forum on this site! NOOO....Not at all.......'course that would be unethical, to "blackball", on a site such as this,..... wouldn't it!? Darn shame what has happened on this site. Not very good at keeping my mouth shut. Doesn't seem to work for me. But then again, maybe my Flying Eagle will make it! Seems to be more interest in that kind of stuff as of late. "The" e'STEAMED" Hogge
    amazing button, hogge.
    don't think i've ever had a piece of pewter come out of the ground looking that nice here in ny.
    go easy. she'll get up top. you've got my vote.
    dirty pennies...

If it was going to be there.....it would have been there already. Besides the 2 goldies, all the rest were there within a day, with very few "nominations". POLITICS man.....POLITICS. Last year this thing would have had 2500 hits by now with 50+ comments by different members! Too many vets have left. The Banner Thing is trivial,....... it's the way it's being done. I'm losing interest fast! There are a few guys,(yourself included), that find some incredibly awesome stuff, ALL THE TIME. That's what I like to look at. Don't get me wrong.......I like helping people out too, and also seeing novices getting lucky with great finds and postings. But It's not the same as it was. Harder to navigate.....etc....etc... I'll still post stuff, (maybe), I just hate the format.
    smcdmc likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    1 times
    Relic Hunting
    This is an amazing button!! The condition couldn't be much better. There is no reason it shouldn't be on the banner. Not to take anything away from the other finds on the banner but.....c'mon moderators, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary War Hunter View Post
    This is an amazing button!! The condition couldn't be much better. There is no reason it shouldn't be on the banner. Not to take anything away from the other finds on the banner but.....c'mon moderators, really?
    It's possible that there is another reason for this.......Maybe it's because I sell quite a few of my finds, NOT ALL, but some, and with ALL the controversy with Ric Savage, I'm being labeled. Well......It's mine and I'll do what I want with it! Thanks for the comment and support Rev War Hunter! They'd better not patronize me and Banner it now!

Jun 2006
    connecticut
    52 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    wow what a great Button Hogge , no doubt it has more lead in the pewter than anything else because it has held up well . i can sympathize with your "bannerless find" my friend (my colonial coinspill of last year was denied because of politics as well) but rest assured it is a grand find and worth due recognition from us that know how hard it is just to find one , let alone such an excellent example. monster congrats to you sir.

Dan
    best finds- George Washington Inaugural Button
    early Militia hat plate 1814 - 1825
    6 colonial copper spill (4-1787 fugios , 1774 machin mills , 1788 new jersey)

Quote Originally Posted by leddel View Post
    wow what a great Button Hogge , no doubt it has more lead in the pewter than anything else because it has held up well . i can sympathize with your "bannerless find" my friend (my colonial coinspill of last year was denied because of politics as well) but rest assured it is a grand find and worth due recognition from us that know how hard it is just to find one , let alone such an excellent example. monster congrats to you sir.

Dan
    I remember that copper spill! Wasn't there a rare Fugio or Machins in there? Or was it determined it wasn't. Cannot remember

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    215 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    make sure that your photos are not embedded from another site!!! They won't let photos on the banner unless they are uploaded directly to treasurenet!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors