Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother, Roz, and I, went to a heavily pounded spot we have been to over the years. Not much happened for about an hour, til I found this little beauty! I wish I had my camera with me, but I didn't. Was found just off the main trail leading to the main cellar hole. It was in such great shape I thought it could be a repro,(which am still unsure of), but all the holes in this area have produced some banner finds including my RIA Belt Tip, and the CFT. KGIII, 25-83-A. This button gave a solid nickel signal, (as did my 85th Reg. Button), at 2-4". Almost didn't dig it as I thought it would be a shotgun casing. Glad I did. It was on the mound of what looked like an "out" building of some sort for the main cellar hole. Was somewhat protected be rocks from getting any deeper. It may be why it's in such great shape. By the way, if you hadn't seen it, I nicked it slightly with my shovel on the "A". AARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!! There is still quite a bit of dirt caked into it, am taking my time on cleaning. Measures 23mm. Any suggestions are welcome. P.S.......Also found a Flying Eagle at the same site today.....My second. Will post after cleaning..............Hogge

Attachments

• DSC00881.JPG
    DSC00881.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC00882.JPG
    DSC00882.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00883.JPG
    DSC00883.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC00884.JPG
    DSC00884.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC00885.JPG
    DSC00885.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC00886.JPG
    DSC00886.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC00888.JPG
    DSC00888.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00887.JPG
    DSC00887.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Upvote 9

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button and in great shape, congrats!!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Can someone with an Alberts book, give me the variety? Have sent an e-mail to Don T. with pics, but was hoping someone else can ID it before hand. Thanks...............Hogge

Looks like Albert's GI 2 A

GI 2 Continental Army, General Service, cast pewter, 1-piece with reeded border.

A. The device, a monogram of the initials U S A. Blank; 23 mm.

I am sure there are many other varieties than listed in Albert's book.

177746_01.jpg
177746_02.jpg

Links to high res. images:
http://stacksbowers.com/images/inventory/134/z/177746_01.jpg
http://stacksbowers.com/images/inventory/134/z/177746_02.jpg

Final Bid on this item was $1265 back in January 2012.

Last edited:

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remarkable! Banner! I love it! Don't beat yourself up over hitting it. It is a 1700s button!

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find!!!! Definitely banner! Shank and all! They don't get prettier then that. Makes the 19mm continental button I dug up 2 weeks ago look like crap. Awesome find! :notworthy:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Awesome button in fantastic condition! Banner all the way!!!

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!! Definitely banner! Shank and all! They don't get prettier then that. Makes the 19mm continental button I dug up 2 weeks ago look like crap. Awesome find! :notworthy:
I saw that! That was a tremendous find. I think I commented, but I will have to look again. If I didn't, Congrats to you! Hogge

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is this not on top yet??????? BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty amazing with all these votes isn't it ???? Notice how none of the Moderators have commented on this find?? UNBELIEVABLE CONDITION for a dug pewter button, let alone the MOST sought after type of military button from the Rev. War! I don't think it has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the way I "bashed" the new forum on this site! NOOO....Not at all.......'course that would be unethical, to "blackball", on a site such as this,..... wouldn't it!? Darn shame what has happened on this site. Not very good at keeping my mouth shut. Doesn't seem to work for me. But then again, maybe my Flying Eagle will make it! Seems to be more interest in that kind of stuff as of late. "The" e'STEAMED" Hogge

Last edited:

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty amazing with all these votes isn't it ???? Notice how none of the Moderators have commented on this find?? UNBELIEVABLE CONDITION for a dug pewter button, let alone the MOST sought after type of military button from the Rev. War! I don't think it has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with the way I "bashed" the new forum on this site! NOOO....Not at all.......'course that would be unethical, to "blackball", on a site such as this,..... wouldn't it!? Darn shame what has happened on this site. Not very good at keeping my mouth shut. Doesn't seem to work for me. But then again, maybe my Flying Eagle will make it! Seems to be more interest in that kind of stuff as of late. "The" e'STEAMED" Hogge

amazing button, hogge.
don't think i've ever had a piece of pewter come out of the ground looking that nice here in ny.
go easy. she'll get up top. you've got my vote. :hourglass: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was going to be there.....it would have been there already. Besides the 2 goldies, all the rest were there within a day, with very few "nominations". POLITICS man.....POLITICS. Last year this thing would have had 2500 hits by now with 50+ comments by different members! Too many vets have left. The Banner Thing is trivial,....... it's the way it's being done. I'm losing interest fast! There are a few guys,(yourself included), that find some incredibly awesome stuff, ALL THE TIME. That's what I like to look at. Don't get me wrong.......I like helping people out too, and also seeing novices getting lucky with great finds and postings. But It's not the same as it was. Harder to navigate.....etc....etc... I'll still post stuff, (maybe), I just hate the format.

Jan 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is an amazing button!! The condition couldn't be much better. There is no reason it shouldn't be on the banner. Not to take anything away from the other finds on the banner but.....c'mon moderators, really????

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an amazing button!! The condition couldn't be much better. There is no reason it shouldn't be on the banner. Not to take anything away from the other finds on the banner but.....c'mon moderators, really????
It's possible that there is another reason for this.......Maybe it's because I sell quite a few of my finds, NOT ALL, but some, and with ALL the controversy with Ric Savage, I'm being labeled. Well......It's mine and I'll do what I want with it! Thanks for the comment and support Rev War Hunter! They'd better not patronize me and Banner it now!

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
wow what a great Button Hogge , no doubt it has more lead in the pewter than anything else because it has held up well . i can sympathize with your "bannerless find" my friend (my colonial coinspill of last year was denied because of politics as well) but rest assured it is a grand find and worth due recognition from us that know how hard it is just to find one , let alone such an excellent example. monster congrats to you sir.

Dan

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a great Button Hogge , no doubt it has more lead in the pewter than anything else because it has held up well . i can sympathize with your "bannerless find" my friend (my colonial coinspill of last year was denied because of politics as well) but rest assured it is a grand find and worth due recognition from us that know how hard it is just to find one , let alone such an excellent example. monster congrats to you sir.

Dan
I remember that copper spill! Wasn't there a rare Fugio or Machins in there? Or was it determined it wasn't. Cannot remember

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
make sure that your photos are not embedded from another site!!! They won't let photos on the banner unless they are uploaded directly to treasurenet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread