Etrac with the sunray x-5 squeaks out a few nice finds out of the trashy park

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been hunting a local park for quite some time now, and it's pretty much hunted out from several years worth of different hunters and different detectors. Decided to give the old sunray x-5 a college try there the other day because I hadn't used it a whole lot and figured I didn't have anything to lose. Right before I put it on my etrac, I'd swung my 10x12 sef for a couple of hours trying for some deep stuff. Not much luck besides a couple of wheaties in the grass right beside where I parked. I then swung the x-5 for a while thru some of the trashy areas and no luck. Before I headed home I hit that area that I'd found the 2 wheaties in and right away I got a high tone with mixed up numbers ranging from 10,11-36-39 and 11-45,47. It was only inches away from my plug that I'd dug one wheat penny out of. When I dug the new plug, the first thing I saw was a piece of large rusty bolt. I removed that and then hit the dirt in the hole with my pinpointer and got my high tone again. Flipped some more dirt out of the bottom and saw the edge of a silver quarter. When I picked it up some of the dirt fell away back into the hole but still stuck to one side of the quarter was a '61 Memorial penny and it looked like it had had another coin stuck on top of it. I pinpointed and picked up two more memorial pennies out of the hole. When I later cleaned the quarter ( a worn 1935 Washington), I could see that it had actually been sandwiched between the pennies, two on one side and another on the other side. So with the rusty bolt above, and the pennies on either side, the bouncy numbers made a lot more sense. The next day I took the x-5 to the other side of the park where I'd dug a 1917 Barber dime a few weeks before with my 10x12. Hunting in the trash I ended up finding 1 more wheat as well as a silver Rosie and a Merc. Both of those dimes I've definitely swung over with two different larger coils in the past so I am well pleased with the x-5 and can see myself using it a lot more now. The 1902 Indian was the sole find from an entire day of searching a large 1897 house that I guess has been hunted already by others. Too bad I had to nick the back with my digger! GRRRRRR
HH to all of you

Attachments

• april12finds1.jpg
    april12finds1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 87
  • april12finds.jpg
    april12finds.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice silvers! The X5 is a great coil, I just started using one myself.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweets finds with the x5 :icon_thumleft: I just pick on up a few days ago myself and can't wait to use it tomorrow.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silvers..congrats!

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. I'm sure you will find more.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it just a trick of light or does that Indian look REALLY thick?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread