Is this precious metal or just another pretty rock?? NEED THE EXPERTS OPINIONS!

mdhunter

Greenie
May 12, 2012
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this precious metal or just another pretty rock?? NEED THE EXPERTS' OPINIONS!

Was camping with my son over the weekend on a secluded beach up past Santa Barbara, took along the metal detector for fun. Scoured about a 2 mile stretch of beach, mostly large rock deposits, and found this ONE interesting "rock". Discrimination was high, maxed on the trash eliminator, and was a nice loud beep. No other rocks like it on the whole beach. At first I thought maybe a meteorite of some sort washed up, but it's not magnetic. Then thought maybe some sort of melted slag off a ship or oil rig, but no ripples or weird bending lines. Looks formed, not melted.

Anyway, I'd love some input, I've tried scouring the internet for pics or info on metals in their "raw" state, but can't find anything like this... and don't know who to bring it to to get it checked out!

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF0139.JPG
    DSCF0139.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF0140.JPG
    DSCF0140.JPG
    546.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF0142.JPG
    DSCF0142.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0143.JPG
    DSCF0143.JPG
    471.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF0144.JPG
    DSCF0144.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 1

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very interesting find i live near ventura county let me know if you want to hunt some time!!

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Might be melted aluminum from a can put in a fire.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done a spark test?
Here's an example site for steel, but you can find others for other metals/alloys:Spark Testing

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a hunk of melted lead to me

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
See silver colored nuggets by boris. I think it may be Ag not aluminum, not a rock, can you see letters "SI" on it or P? roman numerals like C or L? shape of hogge then upsidedown ship? can you feel numerals like braille?

Last edited:

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the melted remnants of a bonfire, probably aluminium or lead. After the waves and sand get to them they get that slightly sand blasted look.

OP
OP
M

mdhunter

Greenie
May 12, 2012
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank you for all the input! I have done the draw test, if it's lead, what color should it be? It mostly just made an indent and looks like light silver crayon, but no actual marking. There's no color in it, and I've thrown my share of beer and soda cans in a bonfire, and this is definitely not that. There are no identifiable markings of a can or anything like that. Any more suggestions?

Attachments

• DSCF0147.JPG
    DSCF0147.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 132

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bet is lead too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread