Glock232

Greenie
May 17, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, to keep my 6 yr old interested, I hid a quarter to go in her state quarter book.. My wife and I walked out with her and after a few minutes of "looking" I found the quarter for her, she was so excited!

Figured why not look around a little more. My property has been in my family over a century, my grandparents built the house I live in. So who know's whats in the yard.

Two or three years ago, I rototilled a 20x30 patch of the yard for a garden. so I stayed around there. About 5 minutes into the hunt I found......

SAM_0399.jpg SAM_0400.jpg SAM_0401.jpg SAM_0402.jpg SAM_0403.jpg

I can't tell if its a real horse shoe, or a playing horse shoe. I want to think it's real because of how it's worn down at the hoop, and in the one pic you can see it looks like spaces are there for the nails to go through, but I have no experience with horses or their footwear. Any ideas???

Also, is this something worth cleaning and if so.. HOW? I dusted the dirt off with a small whisk broom, but don't want to ruin it if it's real.

Thanks!

-Joe

Upvote 0

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Hey Glock,
That's a real shoe. No doubt the first of many if you get into the hobby. Because that's your first, you want to mount
it on top of a door of an out building or garage. Mount it with the open end up as the tradition says it's luck to find a
horse shoe, and if it's mounted, open end up, it will fill up with good luck. :thumbsup:

Slab

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great Find!! :hello2:

OP
OP
G

Glock232

Greenie
May 17, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mystery solved! I asked my Dad who lived here as a child, my uncle owned horses, so I called and talked to him. Turns out my uncle and his friend kept a few riding horses here, and my Grandpop had a few work horses. My uncle said he owned horses in the early 60's so the shoe I found is around 50 years old! It's worthless on the market but a piece of family history that's priceless to me :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread