Coin Star machine has $5.19 left in reject slot. Lucky Me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that glances at the Coin Star money return slot when I walk by? I just left the grocery store and glanced at the return slot of the only Coin Star machine I know and the slot was filled with coins, all clad. I started grabbing them an sticking them in a pocket. At home I counted 48 nickels, 5 dimes, 9 quarters, and 4 pennies for a total of $5.19. Hope I added them right........ This was more fun than finding a $20 dollar bill blowing across the parking lot.

All the coins were clean with a few new ones. Three of the dimes were new Canadian dimes all bright and shiny.

Sandman

Upvote 0

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Hey Sandman,

I have foundmany coins in those coinstar machines. Even some mercury dimes and Euro coins. My son loves checking them out. Congrats on the find.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Sand,

$5.19, helps with the gas ;)

I do make it a point to check them out
whenever I see a machine. Seem to always
be a few coins; never got more that 45 cent.

$5.19, thats neat.

have a good un........

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ain't found nothing big lately myself sandman.

Never was much good at just finding stuff. I've thought very seriously about training a dog to hunt for dollar bills. Some guy wrote a book about this years ago...forget the name now.

Anyway, it does work. That would be so cool. Imagine sitting on the porch eatin fried chicken when suddenly fido comes up with a 20! Now that would be a perfect day! 8)

Badger

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
I found 28 quarters in a pay telephone coin slot about two years ago. But that will be it for this location, as the phone was recently discontinued -- a victim of the cell phone, no doubt. Pay telephones are going the same way as typewriters.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
I keep hearing about people finding goodies in those machines.

I'm going to have to watch for them!

Nice find Sandman!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal, Sandman!!!

Congrats! Nana :)

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
I always check the coin return of vending machines in the office break room. It adds up to the price of a coke after awhile. It's like getting one free!

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Yes, I went to the store the other day and I saw the reject tray filled with coins. But I felt really strange digging in cuz it was right near where everyone checks out and I didn't want to seem like I was desperate for money, so I reluctantly left it sitting there....sigh...

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye sandman. One time I recieved about 5 5-gallon buckets full of clad from donation sources. These buckets were donated to the children's facility in which I worked. I took a couple of them to a coin star for redemption. Can't remember the approximate totals, but, what bugs me now, looking back, is that I wasn't into MDing or hunting coins at the time. I had as long as I needed to get the coins turned in. It never occurred to me that there may something worth more than face value in there. Dang, now I will always wonder. I don't think there is anyone around who hasn't thought at one time how much he/she would just love a bucket full of change to go through. Well, I had five.....Anyone have any idea how heavy two buckets of change are? Sheesh...

There were more buckets, but, I ran out of available coinstars in the small town of Tomball, TX. Had to return some to the office.... ;D

Laater...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
That's great. I found a silver Rosie in the reject slot the last time I brought mine in. The only thing I can think of is it had to do with the weight being different from today's dimes, or maybe it was bent a bit. It's in really good shape.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HAHA....That's funny.....Just never know!

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Maybe I am ignorant,,,,, but what the heck is a "Coin Star" machine????? I promise to vote for anyone who posts a pic of one!

MC

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Great find,that is better than a cache,no digging. I check the coinstar at the store near me religously but to date my total is one dime,I thought it must be silver but alas upon checking it at home just clad...Happy Coinstar Hunting or HCSH

B

Brush Creek

I don't check the coin slots anymore
I read a article about some bitter sick AIDS drug attics that thought it would be cool to infect other people by putting there used needles in the slots because every one checks them.
its been years and I don't remember where I read it but it still gives me chills
I don't mean to be a party pooper :-[

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread