Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First City Park Trip and Wheat Penny

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    192 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

us
    Jun 2012
    Bedford, IN
    Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008 Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for the response, it makes sense on the larger coil. Deeper coins, but if two+ targets pinpoint is way off. I found a 10" coil for my MD and may have to see about getting it for larger areas in the future.

For now I found a post about the smaller 4" coil, and for the added results of the smaller coil (less junk, more gold, better signals, etc.) without loosing any depth on coins. So I ordered a 4" gold nugget coil and should have it Tuesday/Wednesday I couldn't wait and got two day shipping on it.

Strapped for cash now, so I got the coil to tide me over for awhile. I found Mike from Woodland Detectors and his layaway offer. As I have limited funds, it would take me several months to get a MD paid off to get it - and getting late in the season I will wait and get it later and have it paid in time for next spring. Of course if I get the money to get one sooner I do that instead.

I am looking to get a Tesero for sure on my upgrade. If I can talk my wife into thinking the Outlaw MD is a bargain I may convince her to let me get it.
    Thomas - Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, Mod HF Cen-Tech PP -MDing Since 6-4-12
    -Number of Coins: 428 -Jewelry: 15 -Pull Tabs: 415 -Fun:100%

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    Tiger Shark 8" coil, Tejon 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones Whites TRX pointer Minelab Quattro, Garrett gold stinger
    210 times
    The 10.5 coil doesn't have the problem that I have with the 18 inch for pinpointing. It is so darn big that it magnifies my faulty pinpointing. A pro pointer by garret does help and I won't detect without it.
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    Jun 2012
    Bedford, IN
    Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008 Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ah, yeah I can imagine the much larger 18" coil would cause more of the issue. Indeed a pinpointer is one handy tool, I never had one yet - still waving the dirt from my hole over my MD coil. My pinpointer will be here Wednesday if not before and I have set out my parts for the mods for it already.

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    Tiger Shark 8" coil, Tejon 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones Whites TRX pointer Minelab Quattro, Garrett gold stinger
    210 times
    You are all set then. Can't wait to see what you can find. Have you had time to research new areas to hunt.
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    Jun 2012
    Bedford, IN
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yeah I have, but still trying to get the hang of digging a plug that doesn't kill the grass (been dry and crumbling lately). Of course still learning the machine by ear, but once I get my coil and pinpointer I'll be looking to try the new places. In my city there are at least a dozen parks, half dozen schools, and various other places to go to. I've also been hearing about some places to try that always have silver in nearby cities.

It's strange everyone seems to have some great ideas/places of where to MD once they know you are in the hobby. I have to ask is the KellyCo "State By State Treasure Guide" CD helpful? I don't have a direct link, but it is found under Option 2 accessories of any MD order.

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    210 times
    Check out the post by tallguybry I just added to it to update. It has a video that shows how to use screwdriver to get your coin!Its called I bought my first detector!

us
    Jun 2012
    Bedford, IN
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    I found it, seems like a great trick thanks for letting me know; however, I agree with dustytrails123 - after seeing the technique on many Youtube videos myself it seems they make a larger hole maneuvering the screwdriver around/under the probe and seem to scratch the coin half the time.

My aunt bought a rounded probe and tool and even after much practicing had a very limited depth, seemed to pull out a lot of grass, and hurt quite a few old coins. She quit using the technique and recommends digging a plug anymore. I still figure I'd like to try it sooner or later as it may be useful when I am working with a crowd watching me (seems to be a popular past time lately at the park).

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    210 times
    It really depends on the depth and the tip of the screw driver needs to be ground to remove sharp edges. It needs to be practiced to be able to demonstrate for an audience. I have a curved plug cutting knife that I do the same trick with and keep the tip dull for the same reason. I used to use a potatoe digger and that cut a small neat plug. It would work great now with a pin pointer because you wouldnt end up with three plug holes when you missed. I bet if you got some root hormone and sprayed it on the roots before replacing the plug it would take better.

us
    Jun 2012
    Bedford, IN
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for explaining it, I think it is worth investigating. Do you use a probe and screwdriver (the probe to locate the coin and mark the place and the screwdriver to get the coin) or just a screwdriver for both?

The biggest problem I've had so far with cutting the u shaped flaps/plugs in the ground is the large amount of gravel in most places I dig. It seems there is a thin layer of dirt on top then a inch or two of gravel followed by more dirt. I have to say though in most cases my digging technique is clean and hard to detect, and so far I haven't seen any dead grass (other than my backyard when I first did it with a small knife).

Ha yeah I know about the multiple holes to find the same target - seems the most common reason is a dime or something small that gets overlooked and gets moved beside the current spot. I can't wait to get my pinpointer, it will save so much time, effort, and digging.

The root spray is a good idea, I've read some carry a bottle around with miracle-grow to spray on any digged areas.

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    210 times
    I have used a probe and that won't work if you hit a rock and think it is a coin. The pro pointer will detect up to 3 inches and you can then know exactly where it is. Your new 4 inch coil should be great for pinpointing deep targets too. If I don't see the coin when I pry the driver out I check both sides to see if it is in either flap or deeper. I only use the technique for targets that I can locate with the pointer. I can have these targets out of the ground so fast that I don't mind digging pulltabs. Today I carried a spray bottle of miracle grow root treatment and sprayed the bottoms of the 8 plugs that I dug. Found $1.67 and an Eagle Token was all. Surprised to have found that much as I detected the area last week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links