TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a drought going on and triple digit temperatures in my area (which is nearly unheard of) it has been hard getting out to MD. Well with cold water and raw determination me and my dad made several trips lately with temps around 106+.

First trip on Friday was to some city lots of former homes that were knocked down to the standing foundations, that we recently got permission to detect. I found 2 zincolns, 4 pull tabs, and 1 screw cap.

My dad did slightly better with about 14 cents in clad, and 1 wheatie at 6" down. Due to the heat and no shade after a few hours it called it quits. We will make another visit though and I can't wait as my MD couldn't get beyond 5" - but I now have a new MD that can. :D

We went to the location of a old boy scouts camp used from the 1930's to the 1950's and has since been all but forgotten. The buildings have been nearly levered in the last 15 or so years we found out.

Back in the 90's my dad found some silver coins, and various scout relics such as a multi tool knife (with fork and spoon attachment), several neckerchief slides, and other odds and ends.

We made it there and the camp grounds have since been re-purposed as a mountain bike trail. After searching for nearly an hour we stumbled across the remains of two buildings.

1finds-6-29-12.jpg

I did not find a single coin but I did find some interesting relics. I found plenty of old foil (it is buried everywhere it seems) but in one of the holes I dug I also found a piece of wood from a camp fire (just a odd shaped piece of charcoal).

I also found a rivet from a tent and a slide from a pair of suspenders. I thought those were some interesting relic finds. I also found their trash area by the cafeteria foundation. I found a jar lid and several broken jars, one of which is a mustard jar.

Nearby I also found a metal object that I originally thought was a mailbox door, but I have no clue what it really is. It measures 9 3/4" long, 2 1/2" wide, and 4 1/4" tall. It has two rows of words and numbers but most are covered from rust corrosion build-up.

I have, since the picture was taken, been slowly cleaning it using electrolysis and scrubbing. Parts of more letters are becoming visible, but I still can't read it.

2finds-6-29-12.jpg

On Saturday we went to the location of a old so called "poor house". It was a large three story building where people lived once the city/court decided they could not pay their bills. The people lived there with nothing more than a bed in shared rooms, and farmed the land to grow their food. It also doubled as the city's orphanage.

Nothing is left of the building but perhaps a faint foundation outline where it once stood. Years ago my dad found some silver there, but we had no luck. I found 1 nickle, 5 pennies, 5 pull tabs (1 attached to a can top), can slaw, and a pencil sharpener. My dad's haul was about the same, all clad.

This trip though was my first using my new Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 MD. One of my pennies I dug at nearly 7" down to get.

1finds-6-30-12.jpg

Due to the triple digit heat I waited to nearly sunset before I started MDing my backyard to get more experience with my MD. I had maybe 20 minutes and found 1 dime, 1 fancy old hair barrette (several small stones inside the border), the top half of a kids toy car, 1 pull tab, and various items.

2finds-6-30-12.jpg

So far I am trying to get use to my new BH Discovery 3300, the sounds are completely different and there are more of them as well. Not to mention the LCD display and the many various settings. I can say this detector has much more depth and the target identifier/target numerical readout/depth indicator all seem to work quite well for objects less than 5" inches. Over 5" the depth indicator still seems to work fine, but the other two readouts ID wrongly but do so with a stable output so it still is a dig signal.

Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bad considering the ground is dry as a bone.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bad considering the ground is dry as a bone.

Thanks, indeed it is awful dry. Seems I am shaving the dirt more than digging - can't wait to get some rain.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds. Thanks for sharing the story behind their recovery.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After many hours of electrolysis and careful scrubbing - It turns out that the metal plate is from a wood stove, or cook stove, that the Boy Scouts used. I can't find any decent pictures of the stove itself online, but from descriptions it appears to be the ash door.

After cleaning it reads No 5 ESTATE HEATROLA PART NO 1179. Estate Heatrola is a company that made stoves and No 5 was a popular model from what I have gathered. I think it is a interesting find and I will keep it with the other Boy Scout items I've found, seems there are many others to be found yet.

Here is a before and after picture of the ash door, I stopped cleaning once the text was readable to prevent any of the letters from disappearing or other damage.

electrolysis-plate-be.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread