theres gold (and gems) in them there hills -- found both

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wife and I just got back from a 2 week "road trip / vacation " * 2800 miles in total -- we went from home to fayetteville nc (day 1) , to fredricksburg , va (day 2) to NYC and east orange nj (day 3) then to wheeling wv (day 4) to dayton oh (day 5 ) then to lawrencesburg in (day 6,7, 8) the to dehlonega ga (day 9,10,11) then back to home on day 12 *

it was at dehlonega ga -that the gold panning and gem grubbing was done * at the crisson mine -- the wife is not normally a "outdoors" type -- she is normally a "queen of the AC " doesn't do "outdoors" gal -- and the heat was BAD BAD BAD --even for me * but the folks at the crisson mine allowed us to drive around back and park by the shaded panning shed area (we both are handicapped) me with copd ,her with a bad leg * it really made a huge differance being able to drive around back vs walking and sitting in the shade -- we both found gold in our triple grade ore bags (3 buckets of ore reduced to 1 bag of higher grade ore) and the two buckets of gem stones were the big winners -- I got a total of 1 emerald (having a size 13 sterling silver ring made using it for me - should be a 8 x 10 oval cut 3 carat when finished ) as well as 2 very nice garnets when cut one will be 8 x 6 , the other a 8 x 10 -which I had silver rings made for the wife and my daughter as well (garnets are their birth stones)-- although i found the stones at the crisson mione -- I took the stones over to the stone cutter at the consoldated to get the rings made -- plus in the gem dirt from the crisson mine i still found 3 other nice garnets , 2 rubies and 3 sapphiries as well --the gem dirt that i got at the crisson mine came from franklin , nc from what I understand

Upvote 0

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you show us some pix of the final product!
Congrats,
Bunker

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it will take about 3 weeks to ge tthe "finished" products "in hand" but i plan on show em off

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, sounds like a great trip. I would love to do that. I'll be looking for the pics too. Thanks for sharing.

DANGLANGLEY

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
My wife and I used to love to go to Franklin, NC for the "gem mining"...and we took our grand kids one year, they still talk about it occasionally! I haven't been in several years, but most are "salted" with stones that are pretty, but not that valuable. We had stones cut and shipped home ,mine was a 6 carat black star sapphire. :occasion14:Lots of fun !

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like it was a good trip. Do you happen to know the value of all the stones that yall found?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions