Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently, a cheaply made one. Or, maybe, just a lot older than I figured. Looks like some sort of plating, I think. The weld in the back is broken through and it even has a remnant of a barnacle! :) Not marked for gold or anything. When did they start marking them?

But, the ring itself wasn't the story. It was because I almost left it behind. I was testing the waters, so to speak, and in about 6 inches of water I got this hit that reminded me of a trashcan lid! Almost knocked the earphones off my head! :) I actually said "Trash!" and moved on. BUT, I found myself circling back and checking it again and again. Each time, "Trash!". LOL

Finally, I remembered another hit like this one many, many years ago. It also rang up like a trashcan lid. I also passed that one up at least 4 times. Until, I finally dug it up, figuring to clean up trash before I left. It was the single largest gold ring I have EVER found! It was a Naval Academy graduation ring but, it had no identifying marks that I could find. (Also, I was a newbie back then and more into the aspect of finders keepers, so I didn't look too, too hard. LOL )

Anyway, if one would take a ball of gold and drill a finger sized hole in it, build the outside up with a few decorations you'd have this ring. To give you an idea of how big a ball you'd need, I sold this ring for scrap for 200 dollars! It was 18kt gold but still, selling for that much, back in 1979?!?! You get the idea how big.

Therefore, I promptly went back to my current trashcan lid and dug. There, in the scoop was a graduation style ring. A shame it turned out to be less than stellar but still.

My question for everyone? What is your story about your personal "trashcan lid"? A hit that you at first ignored, but then got bothered by it and went back only to find a "holy cow" item?

Thanks for peeking!
HH!

Attachments

• IMGA1609.JPG
    IMGA1609.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMGA1607.JPG
    IMGA1607.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMGA1608.JPG
    IMGA1608.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 3

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that ring could be one they sold in the VFW magazine which is sterling with 14kt gold plated

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that ring could be one they sold in the VFW magazine which is sterling with 14kt gold plated
Hmmmmm, I hadn't thought to test it for silver. I'll give it a try.

So, you never had a "trashcan lid" hit? :)

HH!

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, the ring itself wasn't the story. It was because I almost left it behind. I was testing the waters, so to speak, and in about 6 inches of water I got this hit that reminded me of a trashcan lid! Almost knocked the earphones off my head! I actually said "Trash!" and moved on. BUT, I found myself circling back and checking it again and again. Each time, "Trash!". LOL

Great job!!!!And circle back... gut feelings/!!!

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!! I'll have to think a bit on the trash can lid. I just got off work a bit ago and my mind is mud right now. Lol

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least 5 or 6 times I have found items that were 2 or 3 inches down, I'm uesing a PI, when it gives you a big sound your first thought is its junk but I dig everything and every now and then bang a big honker class ring.:icon_thumleft:
Two weeks ago I had one of those big sounds, so dug one small scoop, bang 39 gram mans silver bracelet, made my day. Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread