bspoores

Greenie
Sep 1, 2012
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys back to my mothers house for some more detecting. Last time dug most of the coin signals and started with tab/nickle signals today. Came up with a couple very interesting finds. Can anyone help me ID these?

IMAG0370_zps92587c15.jpg

IMAG0369_zpsbda439e0.jpg

Upvote 0

Keith Lenahan

Sep 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I dug almost the identical square holed coin in the post above yours. What are the odds of that? I'd like to know what it is too. Keith

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it could be this Schjöth 1466 var. , Hartill 6.75 Type H1, KM 391 (fourth from the top, middle coin)

Of course a pic of the other side of the coin would help...

OP
OP
B

bspoores

Greenie
Sep 1, 2012
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The button looks like a fashion one. Here is one from the Waterbury button company website.
21461 - Anchors - Waterbury Button

Thank you are these still avail? or is this a keeper? :P

Further review of the coin it looks like a Schjöth 1466, Hartill 6.58-59 Type B1, KM 390 from the reverse pics. 6th down on right hand side. Any more research is appreciated.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hikeinmtns on here if you can find him is an expert at i.d.ing Chinese cash coins.They are all pretty dang old,but VERY common,and most not worth much.They were also reproed by the millions and can still be bought today.Yours looks authentic enough though!Good luck,makes my eyes cross trying to I.D. them

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JavaDetector said:
Chinese coin wouldn't be a horribly far reach if you are near an old railroad line. Although 14-1700's may be a stretch?

I found mine in the short distance between the railroad tracks and where the old hotel used to be. My area wasn't settled until the 1880's, so finding my 300 year old coin was odd. Then I heard that the Chinese would sometimes use an old coin as a good luck charm, sometimes even sewing the coin into a piece of clothing. It must have been dropped by a Chinese railroad worker, far far from home.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
The Z shaped symbol dates that Chinese from the reign of emperor CH'IEN-LUNG, AD 1736-1795 aka Kao Tsung
(and other spelling variations as in the link posted above)
after digging a few of these, I can read some chinese :laughing7: NICE OLD FIND !!

chching7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bspoores

Greenie
Sep 1, 2012
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chinese coin wouldn't be a horribly far reach if you are near an old railroad line. Although 14-1700's may be a stretch?
14-1700's not a stretch at all....most of em date to that era.....I have found hundreds,from 1860's- sites.They brought thousands,for gambling and barter amongst themselves.100=1 American Penny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread