StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

I recently posted my first ring, a .925 silver, which I found near an old boy scout meeting house. I had also found three older pennies, which were dirty and nasty looking. I took some time to soak and gently clean them up when I noticed that the one had a funny look to it. To my lack of experience, I had not realized that it was not a typical wheat penny but an Indian head.

I remember this coin signal, which was right up against an old Oak tree that was about 4 feet in diameter. I had a very faint, deep but smooth signal on my White's 6000 that read penny consistently. I had to dig about 6-8 inches down, around some large tree roots. I almost gave up, as the digging was rough but I was thrilled to pull out an old penny, which I remember thinking was lighter and different looking than the other wheats I had found there.

Here it is all cleaned up. I am so amazed to hold a coin that is older than anyone living today, made just after the civil war. My first Indian Head penny is a 1880. Also my first pre 1900 find as well. I great addition to the collection.

IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0415.JPG

Upvote 2

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I'd head back out there because there is likely to be more there. - Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread