Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big 1799 Colonial Silver at 1800 Homesite!

Hello friends! I am very happy to announce the recovery of my first silver spoon! I was at a homesite that I still am not sure of the age in Mebane, North Carolina. I have found some other old finds at the site but still no flat buttons or shoe buckles. It is confusing, almost like they only lost the "good stuff" haha. I was hunting an area away from the foundation of the old house and in the past it has given me very few relics, or signals in general. I was only able to hunt for about an hour today, but in that hour, I found a VERY old silver spoon. Upon digging it I thought it was a "coin silver" spoon, but as I was looking at the hallmark I noticed there was a British hallmark series. That made me even happier because I knew I could date it to the exact year. I do not know how to do the date translation but I am hoping someone on here can help with that. The "passant lion" stamp indicates that the spoon is of sterling purity. I think the "D" stands for the manufacture year, 1799. I believe that the "Bust" mark is the duty mark, indicating that the taxes had been paid to the crown, and was of King George III. The makers mark is not all there. What I can see is "MUEL LYNCH". I am guessing it is SAMUEL LYNCH, or LEMUEL LYNCH. Please help if you can on the ID, but if not, I hope you enjoy the pictures!

I am very happy to have this milestone under my belt, and can't wait to get back out there and do some more digging! 213 years old, and finally saved from the dirt. Judging from the lack of information on the web, this may be the last surviving spoon from this particular manufacturer. How cool!

Video of dig is below pictures
IMAG0063-2.jpg
...MUEL LYNCH clear as a whistle
IMAG0064-2.jpg
Notice the bust, "D" and the "passant lion" as mentioned earlier
IMAG0062-2.jpg

Youtube video! Watch it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread