Autumn Pit Digging, Cobalt Cures, Meds and Blob Beers. A Very Nice Day!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey folks, it was a great day to finally get back out and do some pit digging. Its been hard finding the time and finding a place to put the probes in the ground in hopes of scoring some nice glass. :laughing7: Don and I set out at around 9am knowing I only had about 5 hours of digging time. We had not found a pit on this particular lot before but we knew we had to keep trying. So a nice methodical grid search of the grounds and using an 1893 map of the area hopefully put us in the right area. Figuring the privy would be on the edges of the yard we started to probe. After about 50 pokes we came up empty. So it was back to the map for a quick review of the yard as it was laid out back then. I saw an out building in the yard and then figured the pits would be around that. But I still thought the pit would be by the alley far away from the home. Sure enough we found a trash pit about 3 feet deep. No biggie, I will dig a trash pit if it dates back a hundred years. So we tapped into this one and sure enough there were pottery shards and glass tooled tops from old medicines. Old enough for me:headbang: So we kept digging and I found a small cobalt blank medicine. Kept on going and out pops a perfect cobalt Sanfords Radical Cure. I figured dating to mid 1880's. So then it was Don's turn. He started off with a broken Sanfords and thought he jinxed the hole but it was not to be as he pulled out another near perfect Sanfords. Unreal to find two of these in one pit. Don found a Piso's cure to finish this pit out.
Then it was on to more probing. The map of the garage was calling me to hammer the probes through that ground. The first foot or so of the soil is like cement but once you break through its not too bad. The area around 5 feet down was loaded with gravel and rocks throughout the whole yard. But I finally hit an area that did not have these stones and it was soft with a dirty wood colored probe tip after pulling the rod out of the ground. So I knew I was onto something. I also found the remnants of an old sidewalk running up to the area. So this had to be a privy. After digging for an hour through the hard pack soil and rocks we finally got to the top of the use layer and sure enough it was a privy. Complete with deteriorated wood walls. We dug several medicines including two U.S. Corn Cures, Munyons Paw Paw, A Dr. Kings Throat and Lung Balsam and a few fruit jar lids. Don pulled out an 1893 Aqua Insulator and a broken beehive style insulator. Funny how we found all these fruit jar lids and no Masons anywhere.:BangHead: So after we were completeing this privy Don poked to the side and broke right into another one about a foot away. Sweet:hello2: So he dug into that pit and wouldn't ya know it, a mason jar. Broke of course. Several more were found broken but I was able to find The Gem fruit jar intact. Then Don pulled out a quart blob beer. I then jumped into the pit that was now about 6 feet deep. I found a pint blob beer and another quart blobber. Several other gin bottles and plates and cups came to the light after 120 years in the Earth. Cool history in your hands, that's all I could think of. There must have been 5 or so tiny dolls in the pit as well as a baby food jar. But alas it came to an end and we filled the pit back in. It was a great day with some great glass and great Autumn weather. So get out and enjoy it while it lasts. Hope you enjoy the pics and until next time, be safe out there and good luck on all your treasure finds!! jgas

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 153
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 168
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 161
  • S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 149
  • S5.jpg
    S5.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 149
  • S6.jpg
    S6.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 162
  • S7.jpg
    S7.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 155
  • S8.jpg
    S8.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 151
  • S9.jpg
    S9.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 158
  • S10.jpg
    S10.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 157
  • S11.jpg
    S11.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 156
  • S12.jpg
    S12.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 163
  • S13.jpg
    S13.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 178
  • S14.jpg
    S14.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 158
  • S15.jpg
    S15.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 163
  • S16.jpg
    S16.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 153
  • S17.jpg
    S17.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 155
  • S18.jpg
    S18.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 143
  • S19.jpg
    S19.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 132
  • S20.jpg
    S20.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 5

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....those are incredible finds. Have several old home sites that I need to use probe on. Never have done it bit seen it done. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs. :hello2: Congrats on some nice bottles. Love the pipe. :thumbsup:

HH

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Really impressive finds. Nothing like a hit of Paw-Paw and a good pipe afterwards. Well done...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bottles Jgas. Good to see you back digging. It is amazing what all a probe can tell you. The only problem is hitting old rotten tree stumps. That probe drops fast. Your bottle hunts are hard work but they sure pay off. Thanks for sharing. Do you build your probes? I did mine it has a large wooden handle.
Thanks for sharing and be safe!

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to see some GREAT glass posts from you soon! Fantastic finds! One day I am gonna find a clay pipe like that, intact. Gotta do more pit digging to get one though. Still got my fingers crossed. Nice work on finding the pit through persistence!

Cheers,

Buck

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds!!! Love the Cobalt medicine!

HH
MrSchulz

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely some wonderful finds!! In love with that pipe! Big congrats!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic saves!!

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ! .... and sometimes, I feel digging a small hole is tedious ! Great job recovering these items with time and patience. Can you sometime post a pic of your probe and/or how you probe ? Very interesting. Again, nice job !

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would absolutely love to be on a dig with youz' guyz'...... I would even do some shoveling! Look at those finds....WOW

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies everyone. It is hard work sometimes. But we tag team it and get it done. The anticipation as you all know keeps us going! I will show some pics of the probes in action on the next dig which is early next week. Keeping our fingers crossed the weather holds. First ever complete pipe we have ever found. Gotta have a hundred broken ones though. Thanks all for the responses!! jgas

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, gotta love all the stuff you been finding. Most bottle pickin I've been doing's been either old dump piles way back in the wood, but your finds really make me want to try privy diggin. Can't wait to see more.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's awesome I like the pipe with the stem I can't believe it has the stem and the colbalt cure. I can't wait till tomorrow we're going to dig what we believe is the pontiled pit

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas !!!! somemore good finds !! Sweet pawpaw's ,are they all small like that or do ya think it is a sample,Congrats on the beautiful cobalt and all the rest. keep that shovel dirty. PPC

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing stuff! I know of an area where I know is an old privy, so I would love to know what you guys use as a probe. Also, how do you dig without damaging any bottles?

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking that if any of you guys metal detect you should definitely detect the privy dirt. I found some killer relics detecting the Privy dirt

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey thanks for the replies, The probes are spring steel pipe locators really. T shaped and 4 to six feet long. The Paw Paw is a sampler size Pikes! They do come bigger but I've never seen any. Thanks again for the kind remarks! jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread