Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out today and mostly just got the usual. But one item really stood out.

Before I get to that, here's a couple other interesting finds.

TOKEN.jpg

Just a fairly modern token.

TINY1.jpg

I was more impressed by my hearing this little cross than what it might be. :)
It has a screw on backing.

TINY2.jpg

Then, there was this one.

WHEATIES.jpg

Or should I say three? ;) '44, '46, 50 But that's not all, they were all in the same hole! LOL

And that brings me to this last one. There's a little story behind this one. I was winding down and started looking for my "exit find". I always try to leave on a positive note. ;) As I was going I was continuing my communing with nature and talking with the Lord as I always do. (Hopefully, I'm still just talking in my head. LOL ) Anyway, I digress.

I was just saying, "Ok, Lord, what will be the exit sign today?" Then I got a decent penny hit and said that's fine. I'll be happy to leave on a penny. But, as soon as I dug I saw the foillowing:

PF1.jpg

All I saw was a rather plain looking back of a crucifix but that was fine too. It looked like silver but I didn't care. Sure seemed like an answer to me! :) I knocked a little more dirt off and uncovered more of the back. Still fine. When I turned it over I actually said, yuck! LOL

PF2.jpg

I thought maybe it would look better in the waning sunlight. So, I took another.

PF3.jpg

I said, "YUCK! That's the UGLIEST crucifix I ever saw! But Ok Lord! Good nuff fer me!"

When I got it home I was rinsing it off and trying to see if there was a sterling stamp on the back.

PRETTYONE0.jpg

Nope. But, imagine my surprise when I turned it over and really saw the front for the first time!

PRETTYONE1.jpg

I just have to say, this is the PRETTIEST thing I have ever found! Intrinsic value of this one means nothing to me.

PRETTYONE2.jpg

Over all, nice day, nice hunt and a beautiful find!

Here's everything together.

ALL.jpg

Hope my little story was enjoyable.

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

Upvote 4

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that really is a pretty and ornate cross someone put some time into that one:thumbsup: congrats and HH.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the cross. Elaborate little thing. Congrats.:icon_thumleft:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the story and definitely a nice find !! Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cross may be made in Italy.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, It really is a beautiful cross.:icon_thumleft:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found many crosses but never one with such beautiful detail, awesome! The other finds are nice too. HH, Mike

aRustyPatina

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2012
Your cross is a micro mosaic piece. Typically originating from Italy. The pieces are made of beads of glass. They also are made the same way but the pieces are fired and those are known as millefiori. Back in the 90's I worked in antiques and would typically sell something like yours for between 45.00 to 100.00 bucks. Great find!

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an impressive little piece. I was with you ( very ugly ) until I moved down to the last two photos. Tell me that the Lord doesn't work in mysterious ways. You never know where the next road will lead. Happy swinging.

Coinhound

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cross is a micro mosaic piece. Typically originating from Italy. The pieces are made of beads of glass. They also are made the same way but the pieces are fired and those are known as millefiori. Back in the 90's I worked in antiques and would typically sell something like yours for between 45.00 to 100.00 bucks. Great find!

Why thank you! That's very nice information to have on this piece. Can you answer a couple other questions? Like what age would this tend to be from and how was it constructed? Is it a base metal that's painted/coated/plated? Then, what? Did someone actually carve this out and place each individual bead? I am VERY impressed with the effort that appears to have gone into this.

Thanks again!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for all the responses.

Just wanted to share a little piece of beauty.

HH!

aRustyPatina

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2012
They are still produced. This one is probably say 1960's give or take ten years. Kinda hard to say without holding it. I'm thinking that range as they where sterling framed earlier. The beads where made when the glass was molten/formed. Hard to explain. If you look on YouTube you should see how they make millefiori beads. That's about the best way to see how they are made. My wife saw yours and now wants me to find one. That's a really slim chance in Texas. Italy might be a possibility.

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cool story, VERY cool find... I also said yuck when I first saw it, could hardly believe it was the same cross!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are still produced. This one is probably say 1960's give or take ten years. Kinda hard to say without holding it. I'm thinking that range as they where sterling framed earlier. The beads where made when the glass was molten/formed. Hard to explain. If you look on YouTube you should see how they make millefiori beads. That's about the best way to see how they are made. My wife saw yours and now wants me to find one. That's a really slim chance in Texas. Italy might be a possibility.

Yeah, actually I did do a little more research after reading your other post. They are a really neat art form. Even with the knowledge of how these are made, this one REALLY seems like a LOT of work went into it's creation. I'm not surprised your wife wants one, I really love this little piece!

Thanks again!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread