RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Certificate of Promotion to the Fifth Grade - 1935 (With pics of everything else)

Hello folks!

Today I went on an excursion into one of the crawlspaces in my house. I had peeked into this one before and I saw a pair of jeans, but I hadn't retrieved them. This time I did. They are labeled Carter's Watch the Wear, a company that has been using that trademark since the 1890's. I believe that they may be from the 30's to the 50's.
Upon retrieving them, I continued to look around for stuff. After perhaps 10 minutes, I come across a piece of paper right in front of me, partially covered in what u assume us old insulation. How I never saw it I don't know. I picked it up and my jaw just about dropped when I read it;
MONTAGUE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
-----------------------------
Certificate of Promotion
This certifies that Robert (censored in respect for family)
Is promoted to the Fifth grade
M. Frances Murphy
Teacher
Joseph S. Keating
(M. F. M.) Superintendent
Date June 6, 1935
Within a few minutes, I started I research this person. After looking through different White Pages searches and other empty leads, I came across an obituary from 2007. Sadly, he passed away five years ago. He was a WWII veteran, a husband, and a father of two, as well as several grandchildren, nieces, and nephews. I was able to contact his daughter, getting her name from the obituary. She still lives in town, and I was able to call her house. Her husband answered, for she was sleeping off a bad cold. He seemed intrigued and was certain that she would like to have it when I asked. I gave him my number and they're going to call back within the next few days to schedule a pick up time.
Along with the certificate, I found a clay marble and a puzzle piece. The clay marble on the right actually came from my back yard. I found it while digging for the garden. I am left to assume that it is his.
Anyways, that's what made me happy today. The picture will be up in a couple of minutes.

*Update here's everything else I found today:
A Coca-Cola matchbook from 1956, a H&H Butter-Kist Popcorn bag, some newspaper pieces, two plastic plates, some whatsits, a holiday greetings mini-card, and some other tidbits. I also found an "Old Topper Snappy" bottle in a different place after the photos were taken.

Attachments

• DSCN3114.JPG
    DSCN3114.JPG
    521.3 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCN3117a.jpg
    DSCN3117a.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN3128.jpg
    DSCN3128.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN3127.jpg
    DSCN3127.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN3123.jpg
    DSCN3123.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCN3116.jpg
    DSCN3116.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Awesome find! Glad you were able to find the owner! I do family tree stuff and that would be a little gem to the tree! Wonder if that was his little fort in there?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It's funny how we here in W. Mass tend to stick near home. Why leave? lol. I was in Montague not too long ago at the Book Mill, wishing I had my detector.

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Added the pics of everything else! And ragu, I was thinking the same thing about the play area! I sure know I would've played there!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and story! The Christmas item looks like a tag that you would put on a gift. BTW, what was the date on the piece of newspaper?

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Umm it was August 3, 1940. Also I though the same thing for the tag but there's no attachment thing, unless it was taped, which it doesn't look like it was.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds. those jeans you speak of could be worth a good sum

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nah, they were all torn and ratty. The only reason why I don't have a picture of it is because my mom threw them out haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread