Beautiful 1864 2 cent

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
mowed down some tall weeds last week and let the clippings dry out on my neighbors hay field which still has a visible foundation from the 1800's, hes more than happy to let me out there to detect.

today i got out there and swung tight up against the foundation and got a weird signal & about 5" down came out this beautiful 2 cent piece.

DSC02793.JPG

DSC02794.JPG

looking on ebay, theres quite a few of them and its hit and miss on what people are bidding on them. but im surprised to see people bidding at the moment $45 on one that is really worn & not graded. mine has alot of detail on it...... im not looking to sell but gauging value and i truly believe the condition of this is rare :) i think i found a beauty here

anyone suggest how i can clean off the dirt on it? its really packed tight. i got most off with dawn dish soap and warm running water. its just slightly crusty on the bottom of the wreath too, im not so worried about the crust on it.. just wanna remove the dirt.

Upvote 4

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to come back for a second look. - That coin is in great shape and I don't think I would attempt any further cleaning. It's your's so do what you want, but it looks great just like it is. JMO.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one gorgeous looking coin! Soak in virgin olive oil then pick clean with a toothpick. Just my opinion. Congrats on one of the most beautiful 2 centers I have seen on the net!!

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea i think im gonna leave it. it will come off eventually on its own im sure.

No it won't. It is more likely to continue eating at the surface of the coin than to just "come off" all by itself. Not saying you "have" to clean it any further, just don't count on it coming off without help.

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Sun Ray DX-1 Probe, Vintage late 70's Radio Shack junker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it won't. It is more likely to continue eating at the surface of the coin than to just "come off" all by itself. Not saying you "have" to clean it any further, just don't count on it coming off without help.

I agree it will possibly/probably even become harder to get the crud off after it dries out for a long time! I personally would do the boiling hot peroxide bath for about 10 or even 15 mins tops, rinse well, dry it & then soak it (as detectahead mentioned) in virgin olive oil for a while & by a while I mean days or longer as this will both clean & protect it. Pat it down well with a cloth to remove the olive oil & let it dry out as much as possible. Afterwards your coin will look beautiful & be preserved from further corrosion. I've had great success with that process.

Oh by the way that is a beaut! Not to many dug up in that shape that's for sure!

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
i just closed out my saftey deposit box at the bank and found a injun that was still encrusted with dirt i did not clean fully, guess the dirt doesnt come off like i thought.

ill make a attempt at cleaning the 2 cent piece... to me its not worth much more than just something neat i recovered from the earth, not that i want to damage it though lol

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice cent ...congrats !:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread