Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Really Cool Bracelet With Names From Colonial Homesite, Other Relics Too!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Really Cool Bracelet With Names From Colonial Homesite, Other Relics Too!

***Update on identity of "bracelet" Thanks to ErikInNJ, I have a positive identification. The names are the manufacturer of an 18th century Lorgnette or spectacle company. He was able to identify them because the only surviving pair was recovered in an archaeological dig in Burma in 1914. This was documented in a text that is published in Google Books(an amazing reference). I dug one today, and some fellow dug one a hundred years ago. It sure is neat how things come together. It is still probably my favorite find of the day!

Back to the original story......

Hey Everyone, I had to cut my hunt short I was so excited to see what I had found. I went to one of the oldest homesites that I am allowed to hunt and found some good stuff in a short 30 minute dig around the foundation of the house. My first signal that I dug is the most significant, I think. I thought it was a copper wire at first, but before I put it in my pouch, I noticed a letter on the side. I started brushing dirt off and it was covered in letters, that made NAMES! I was shocked because I love finding personal effects like that. The other two finds would have made my day to find either, but they were my second and third finds! The second find was that cast tombac button, which I have never dug or seen one like, and the third find was a neat piece of slate that when I was rubbing the dirt off, I noticed it had a hole in it, for a NECKLACE! I dug the slate while digging a nail signal. There are tons of pottery shards.

The bracelet is missing a section, but the four names that I can see are, *in this order:

GEORG WEIGET (or WETGET)
    *** (three stars)
    JON ERHARD
    MAY SEFTIGE
    ERREN JO (then it is broken)

Any help on the bracelet would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking, now back to the site to dig up some more stuff, that will be added later tonight.

One bit of assistance I have on the identity of the individuals on the bracelet is that there is a small cemetary about 300 feet from the housesite, but that is ALL there is on the 100 acre farm. The tombstones are simple rocks marking head and foot. The only tombstone that is engraved reads JOHN STEPHENS March 20 1795 Feb 29 1851. Hopefully this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0152.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1,013.6 KB 
ID:	691790

Name:	IMAG0153.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	959.3 KB 
ID:	691791

Name:	IMAG0154.jpg 
Views:	1289 
Size:	880.9 KB 
ID:	691792

Name:	IMAG0169.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	961.7 KB 
ID:	691977
    Eyeglass frame and large cent for size comparison

Name:	IMAG0156.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	691793

Name:	IMAG0174.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	944.5 KB 
ID:	691978
    some hammered nails, half a pewter button, and a tombac material button? wagon wheel design

Name:	IMAG0155.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	867.5 KB 
ID:	691794

Name:	IMAG0161-1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	691795
    GORG WEIGET

Name:	IMAG0164-1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	691796
    JON ERHARD

Name:	IMAG0165-1.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	691797
    MAY SEFTIGE

Name:	IMAG0167-1.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	691802
    ERREN JO or TO (JO is the beginning of a last name)
    Last edited by FoundInNC; Oct 25, 2012 at 03:31 AM.

May 2008
    Ft. Worth Tejas
    CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
    720 times
    wow that is really neat!
    A Coward Dies a Thousand Deaths a Soldier Dies But Once

May 2008
    202 times
    Very cool finds. Will be waiting to hear more about that bracelet!

us
    Everything came from the earth and returns to the earth. Go dig it up.

Jan 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, (Forward looking infrared radar, sonar, NSA satellites, night vision goggles, heads up display, and my Surface-Scouring Eyeballs...not quite.)
    504 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    FoundinNC, That bracelet is one of the coolest things I have seen lately, congrats. I am sure that Ancestry.com or another genealogy website can help you with those names. Your Native American pendant is superb! Are there any symbols scratched on it? Sub

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266, Fisher 1270, Whites TDI, Garrett AT Gold
    1010 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice Finds! You are on an old site there. That button is a hollow, two piece button, with the front and back soldered together around the rim. They are similar to the brass blow hole hollow buttons - but without the blow holes. I find them on 1750s/60s sites here in Pennsylvania. Usually I find only the back half with the shank, I have only seen a couple fronts found.

us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Garrett AT Pro, XP DEUS, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher 1266X, Garrett Propointer
    377 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Very cool bracelet. I have a feeling that has quite an interesting history. Way to go!
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    791 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Hi! Great find! The bracelet is very cool but I think you are off on a couple of the names. I think "MAY" is actually "MAT" and "JON" is "JOH" or "TOH". My guess is that the names are Dutch. Better photos would definitely help. But that is one cool piece of history....congrats!

Regarding the piece of slate, I kinda hate to say this, but the slate on my roof is holed like that so that nails can be used to hold it in place. I hope I'm wrong, but there's a good chance that it's just a fragment of slate that broke off the roof. Bits and pieces of mine break off fairly often. Does the house have a slate roof?

Looking forward to learning more about those names!
    Last edited by Erik in NJ; Oct 24, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
    BuckleBoy likes this.

us
    Aug 2007
    Topsham, Vermont
    Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
    235 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Anything that puts a name to a site is an A+ find!! I will be watching to see if anything more is found out about the bracelet.

VPR

us
    Jan 2012
    ardmore,okla
    13 times
    too cool

us
    Oct 2009
    Jersey Cape
    Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
    407 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Interesting bracelet and pendant . Maybe there was a settlers camp at that spot .. hard to say but I would keep searching that place esp. after a lot of rain . Great early finds for damn sure

us

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Nice Finds! You are on an old site there. That button is a hollow, two piece button, with the front and back soldered together around the rim. They are similar to the brass blow hole hollow buttons - but without the blow holes. I find them on 1750s/60s sites here in Pennsylvania. Usually I find only the back half with the shank, I have only seen a couple fronts found.
    I am almost certain that it is a cast tombac button. It is solid, and heavy. I do not know how old it is, but I do believe that I am on an early site. Does it being solid make you think it is 1750s-60s still?

us

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ View Post
    Hi! Great find! The bracelet is very cool but I think you are off on a couple of the names. I think "MAY" is actually "MAT" and "JON" is "JOH" or "TOH". My guess is that the names are Dutch. Better photos would definitely help. But that is one cool piece of history....congrats!

Regarding the piece of slate, I kinda hate to say this, but the slate on my roof is holed like that so that nails can be used to hold it in place. I hope I'm wrong, but there's a good chance that it's just a fragment of slate that broke off the roof. Bits and pieces of mine break off fairly often. Does the house have a slate roof?

Looking forward to learning more about those names!
    My first thoughts on the bracelet were that the names were in latin or a foreign language, but then I just figured that the person that made it spelled the names incorrectly. The slate is for sure not a piece of broken roofing. The cabin did not have a slate roof or I would find it everywhere. The cabin is long gone. I just found a pile of rocks in the middle of a clearcut and that is what made me realize there was a cabin there. I think it is just a river rock that someone drilled a hole in. It is VERY worn, just like it was found in a river. I dug it right in the center of the foundation.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    791 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think "May Seftige" is actually "Mat Seelig" ... if you Google that name you'll see that it's not a terribly uncommon name. As I mentioned I think it's a Dutch name. It's hard to see the bottoms of the letters on your bracelet. Is it possible to post some more photos?

"Georg Weiget" also comes up on Google from the 1600s.....take a look...I don't think the names are misspelled...I think that's the German or Dutch spelling of many names.
    Last edited by Erik in NJ; Oct 24, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

us

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Erik, I am open to any and all opinions on the letters and names. I think that the first name could be GEORG WEIGET. The second name is JOH or TOH ERHARD. The third name is MAY SEFTIGE. The last one is where the bracelet is broken, and it reads simly ERREN JO, then it is broken.....I looked HARD for the missing piece, and will continue to.
    Last edited by FoundInNC; Oct 24, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Charter Member
    CANE FIELD BANDITS and IRON BRIGADE MEMBER

Jun 2006
    Moonlight and Magnolias
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver µMax
    2144 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That is absolutely first rate. Are you sure it's a bracelet? Could we see a farther-away photo with something for scale?

Top notch! What a great find.

Cheers,

Buck
    2014 CaneField Bandits Totals:
    1792 French 2 Sol Copper
    181? Cut Quarter of an 8 Reales
    1826 Two Reales
    1827 Peruvian Republic 1 Real
    1815 Ferdinand 1 Real
    1829 Cap and Rays 1 Real
    1814 and one Dateless Half Real
    1872 Seated Half Dollar
    1876-S Seated Quarter
    Six Seated Half Dimes: Two 1840-O Half Dimes, 1842-O, 1848-O, 1857 and one dateless half dime
    1876-CC, Two 1876-S, Two 1887 and an 1888 Seated Dimes
    U.S.S. New Orleans Silver Pendant (1890s)
    Large New Orleans Hallmarked Silver Spoon and a monogrammed antebellum coin silver spoon
    185? Large Cent
    c.1830-40s Belgian .50 cal brass pistol barrel and frame
    Confederate Pelican Civil War Button
    1840s Convex Eagle Militia Button
    CW Eagle "I" Button
    CW Era "snake" Sword Hanger
    Blacksmith-Forged Picket Pin
    1941 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
    1896 Barber Quarter
    1943, 1954, and 1963-D Quarters
    1902-O Barber Dime
    1945 and 1945-S Mercury Dimes
    1864-L Indian Head Cent
    186?, 1866, and a Dateless Shield Nickel
    Assorted Civil War Bullets and Musketballs
    Plantation Tokens
    Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Buffaloes, and GawGag
    OUR 2013 YEAR-END POST: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...-end-post.html
    OUR 2012 YEAR END POST:
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/20...ml#post3120940

Any relics, coins, or other items appearing in my finds signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors