Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is this gold? Found today Panning.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2012
    New Hampshire
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Is this gold? Found today Panning.

Hi all,

Found this today panning. It is flat and maluable / bendable. Slight redish color in spots. Is this gold? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121025_182715.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	692288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121025_182830.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	692292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121025_182735.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	692291

us
    Mr. Schulz

Mar 2012
    DeWitt, Iowa
    Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
    310 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Bottle hunting, and Metal Detecting
    From what I know, Gold is extremely hard so it shouldn't be bendable? Have the other experts find that out.
    2013 Finds- 12/3

Bottle Digging
    Blob tops: 0
    Hutches: 2
    Medicines: 23
    Local Bottles: 24
    Tokens: 2, (1) Local
    1948 S Roosie Dime
    8 Spoons
    Music box part
    Axe Head
    19th Century cutting scissors
    ~
    Metal Detecting:
    Foreign: 1
    Wheats: 28
    Silver Dimes: 1
    Token: 1
    Clad: $47.53

Jul 2012
    142 times
    If you hit it with a hammer it won't break itll just flatten out. And take a magnet to it, it shouldn't be magnetic. Cool find

us
    Aug 2011
    Cascade, MD
    Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
    71 times
    Well gold is not very hard it is the opposite and is very malleable. Gold is very heavy I am not sure on the specific gravity of gold but it should not take to much research to find out. So it looks like gold to me.

Oct 2012
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Well I took a magnet to the pieces and they are not attracted to the magnet. Looking through a magnifying glass they are not smooth, more of pitting and or ridge lines. The spots that are red can be scraped and show almost copper color mixed in with the gold color. These pieces are really flat with some weight behind them. I found these by digging behind a rock down about a foot. It will bend if I apply pressure.

us
    Feb 2008
    Kentucky
    White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
    11 times
    Prospecting and coin shooting
    In might be gold! Gold is soft, NOT HARD as another poster mentioned. The blockiness of the biggest piece makes it look more like pyrite, but if it is soft (bends), then it is not pyrite. Pyrite is brittle and shatters easily. My suggestion is to take a straight pin and "nail" it into a piece. If it indents it or goes into it, there is a very good chance that you have gold! The copperish and rust colors could just be the other minerals mixed in with it - most "wild" gold is not pure, but has some other metals in the mix. If you know someone with a gold test kit, have them do some scratch tests. If it is gold, KEEP DIGGIN!!!
    JT1080, brw0525, austin and 1 others like this.
    Lookin' and pickin'!

the groper of gravel

Oct 2012
    Southbridge, MA.
    bounty hunter, fast tracker
    53 times
    Prospecting
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I can tell you that your find is very much bigger than the stuff I am finding... Good deal, I hope you find more of the same..
    I have noticed that in my panning, I find a lot of lead shot in my pan, so I am pretty sure I'm at least looking in places that heavys collect.

Your find certainly looks to be metal of some sort.

May 2012
    tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wild eyed willey View Post
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I can tell you that your find is very much bigger than the stuff I am finding... Good deal, I hope you find more of the same..
    I have noticed that in my panning, I find a lot of lead shot in my pan, so I am pretty sure I'm at least looking in places that heavys collect.

Your find certainly looks to be metal of some sort.
    it might be 14k gold

Oct 2012
    New Hampshire
    wild eyed, call it beginners luck! This is my second time panning. First time found nothing. The strange part about the river I am on it is next to an old mill/ dam. The dam is broken up, but next to my digging hole there seem to be some old brick and what seems to be almost chunks of twisted rock / metal that looks like lava rock but is heavy and feels like metal. I found these prices on the river behindva large rock that I dug behind and down about a foot. There is a larger price about the size of a quarter that I knowvis still there because I saw it sink tonthe bottom of the hole after I moved a large rock. It was getting dark so I had to pack up. Hopefullly it's still there when I go back!

us
    Sep 2012
    Santa Clarita
    Garrett AT Pro
    63 times
    It looks like pyrite to me. As suggested, hit it with a hammer or poke it with a needle/thumbtack. If it cracks or shatters, it's not gold. The samples look too symmetrical, as if it was chipped off. Coarse gold, which has not been water worn, has a lot of texture to it. And gold that has been water worn is smooth and odly shaped. Unfortunately, neither of you pics shows those characteristics. Of course I could be wrong, I am judging from a photo, I just wouldnt get you hopes up on it being gold is all.

Oct 2012
    New Hampshire
    jT1080, I took a hammer to it and it did not break. I can grab the larger piece and bend it and it will stay bent. I have found pyrite and mica before and have seen it crumble, flake and crack. These pieces are deft some type of metal. They are flat which is strange. I can scratch it with a pair of tweezers and it is the same color in the scratch. There are some copper colors mixed in with it. You are right it does not look water worn though, perhaps the shovel is scraping something up?
    Last edited by brw0525; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

us
    Mar 2009
    United States
    Minelab E-trac
    550 times
    Hard to tell from the pics. You sure they're not just pieces of scrap metal like an old tin can or other sheet metal?

Oct 2012
    New Hampshire
    Testing123, not sure, that's why I posted it in the forum. I found this 1 foot down below rocks, dug down to a solid layer of rock. I panned about 6 pans and found no trash except a piece of glass and a small piece of old pottery?
    Last edited by brw0525; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

us
    Jun 2006
    Texas
    Whites-DSL
    88 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    very cool. good luck
    Rings are works of art and I LOVE to collect them.
    (2013 61 rings (19 gold, 33 silver & 9 stainless).

2014 GOAL 100:
    gold rings-3
    silver rings-3
    titanium rings-0

us
    Oct 2009
    2008 times
    It sounds as if it is most likely gold, and nice sized too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors