YOUD BE WORN OUT AND UGLY TOO IF YOU HAD BEEN STANDING STRAIGHT UP FOR 156 YEARS.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU'D BE WORN OUT AND UGLY TOO IF YOU HAD BEEN STANDING STRAIGHT UP FOR 156 YEARS.

After spending the day yesterday hunting with my buddy Darrel; I was able to squeaze in a 2 hour hunt today with Dave-IL at our field site that we were told had been hunted out a couple of years ago when we were granted permission to hunt it.

It has been a lot of fun over the last 2 hunting seasons ...and even at it's peak of giving up finds...it was no different than it is now.

Some days we'd dig a keeper after a few hours...and other days we wouldn't.

Dave just got a sweet Barber dime here last week and I got nothing...but I got the enjoyment of seeing the look on his face as he pulled it from the dark soil....and I was thrilled for him.
beers.gif

I got only one signal to investigate today...and it was a strange one...but I was pretty sure it had a nice shot at being silver.

It was a nice, high warble but it would only hit from two of four angles even though there was no nulling.

It also had an additional "blip" sound to it as the coil passed over it from each of the two angles.

At this point I was honestly thinking it had a good shot at being deep silver on edge.

I called Dave over and let him listen to it...and after he had a chance to run his coil over it a few times and examine the sound...I excitedely started to dig a big plug with the help of Hercules who started hammering the soil as well:laughing7:

I dug down a solid 8" then ran the probe...and got nothing??:icon_scratch:...on what I was fairly confident was a silver hit.

I ran the coil over the hole again and it still sang "silver" from the same two angles...so I widened the hole quite a bit...and deepened it somewhat.

I then ran the probe again...and this time I got a faint warble from the bottom back part of the hole...so I widened the hole by another 4"...then began to carefully dig down with my fingers.

From at least 7" away from where it pinpointed...and where I centered the hole...I saw a dark disc clinging to the bottom edge of the hole and it was standing absolutely straight on edge from a measured 10".

That explained why it only hit from 2 angles as well as sounding off with the extra "blip" as the coil passed over it.

I then stuck the lesche a couple of inches behind it and plucked it out still attached to the clod as you see.

I honestly couldn't tell what it was because it was dark grayish/black like many of the silver coins are out here....but could tell it was ancient...and both Dave and I could tell it was silver.

At this point we were both excited at the possibilites of it being a seated...so we started checking it out from the sides...and it was as thin as thin gets on a silver coin.

I remember mumbling..."it's probably a stinkin', worn old Barber".

Sincerely...how crazy to say something like that which sounds so unappreciative of finding a silver coin...and I truthfully did not mean it in that sense.

My point is that it just goes to show the amazing thrills this old field has provides us...when a person could actually even consider being disappointed to find a Barber dime instead of something else.

I then popped it off the clod and we started looking at it closer.

I had to rub it a little bit to even see anything on it...and then could barely make out what looked to be a wreath...so we knew we were looking at the reverse.

We then flipped it over and could see absolutely no details to know whether or not it was a Barber or a seated coin...so I started rubbin' it a little more...until some scant little line started to show up.

I did not have my glasses on but I thought I saw the neck line of a Barber coin...so I rubbed a little more.

It was then that I finally realized I had a seated coin...and could tell it was an older one.

At this point Dave was just as excited as I was...and Phil, Darrel, and Brad are the same way. We don't care who finds it...we are thrilled for each other.

We then had some fun trying to see what date the seated was...so we worked on it a little bit at a time.

We finally were able to make out the date of 1856...one of the oldest coins yet from this site!

It was just very special to be able to share the experience with a buddy there from start to finish...from the point of listening to the undug target...to helping me see what the date was after we dug it up.

I know...quite a long and "windy" post for a coin that's so worn it probably isn't worth $5...but the thrills it gave us digging it, examining it, and messing with it for almost 15 minutes before we could finally make out a date...was priceless.:angel7:

Another day in this hobby that will give me memories I'll never forget...AND gave Herky a few muddy paws to be cleaned before he jumped in the car to head home. He also carries the "proof" on his nose and mouth of helping us dig the hole.:angel7:

Upvote 11

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
It's fun to bring mans best friend with! My pit loves the woods, she could care less about digging. She'd rather get caught up in damn weeds or chase birds.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find, and nice story too:occasion14:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find everybody dreams of finding one of those!!!!!! HH

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story! I'm still waiting to find a seated coin! Great Job! :icon_thumright:

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That was great...I love how you unfolded the story with the pictures...I couldn't wait to scroll down!! So awesome. I would have been jumping up and down for sure!!! Congrats!!:headbang:

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and story. Makes me want to go dig some of the signals like you described that I have gotten frustrated with.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and pics! Congrats on yet another deep old silver! :icon_thumleft:

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always look for them seated libs.. Nice score buddy.. Keep hitting that site hard..

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worn or not, silver is silver, nice hunt! That's cool that Herky helps dig. Mine shows more interest in the rabbits, but she knows to check back in whenever she hears the pinpoint function, else I might call her and make her sit awhile, lol. She *is* getting a lot better at breaking chase when she flushes a rabbit but it takes her several large strides to stop and drop.

cheers,
cc

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed the story, felt was there digging it up again! Congrats on the find, for both of you!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done nice to old silver standing up to greet ya happy huntinn

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Not much better then finding some old silver! Gteat score!

tonyc10k

Sep 7, 2012
Georgetown ky
Detector(s) used
Minelabs equinox 800, whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice even as worn as it is. its still a beautiful coin. and my 3 month old pup loves going MDing with me. he would dig every hole i let him i can point at a spot on the ground then try to dig it and if i let him he takes over till i stop him, or a hole to china had been dug :)

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice even as worn as it is. its still a beautiful coin. and my 3 month old pup loves going MDing with me. he would dig every hole i let him i can point at a spot on the ground then try to dig it and if i let him he takes over till i stop him, or a hole to china had been dug :)
Thanks Tony. Sounds like your pup is gonna' be an excellent helper too. :headbang:

Not much better then finding some old silver! Gteat score!
Thanks Monte

Nice coin
Thanks G.I.

well done nice to old silver standing up to greet ya happy huntinn
Thanks friend

Enjoyed the story, felt was there digging it up again! Congrats on the find, for both of you!
Thanks D. H....much appreciated

Worn or not, silver is silver, nice hunt! That's cool that Herky helps dig. Mine shows more interest in the rabbits, but she knows to check back in whenever she hears the pinpoint function, else I might call her and make her sit awhile, lol. She *is* getting a lot better at breaking chase when she flushes a rabbit but it takes her several large strides to stop and drop.

cheers,
cc
Thanks Calvin...and Herky says thanks too.:headbang:

I am always look for them seated libs.. Nice score buddy.. Keep hitting that site hard..

Thanks C.C.

Very Nice!
Thanks G2D

Great story and pics! Congrats on yet another deep old silver! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks brother. Hope you are doing well.

Nice find and story. Makes me want to go dig some of the signals like you described that I have gotten frustrated with.

Thanks C. O.

Ain,t ugly,thats character, congrats. Working that coil paid off !
Thanks friend.

Wow!! That was great...I love how you unfolded the story with the pictures...I couldn't wait to scroll down!! So awesome. I would have been jumping up and down for sure!!! Congrats!!:headbang:
Thanks for responding...much appreciated. I hope you are getting some hunt time too...and good luck. Herk says hi.:hello:

Cool story! I'm still waiting to find a seated coin! Great Job! :icon_thumright:
Thanks Dave.

Great find everybody dreams of finding one of those!!!!!! HH
Thanks D.D.

nice find, and nice story too:occasion14:

Thanks cjon

It's fun to bring mans best friend with! My pit loves the woods, she could care less about digging. She'd rather get caught up in damn weeds or chase birds.
Thanks MrSchulz....that's funny:laughing7:

Good score on the old silver....wtg.

Regards + HH

Bill
Thanks Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread