Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. Hit my great grandmas house again today and out pops wreath buckle! My hands were shaking! UPDATE TO THIS - ALMOST POSITIVE THIS IS THE OTHER HALF OF A NC STATE SEAL BUCKLE!!! I found a 1855 Springfield musket band at the same site a few weeks earlier. I looked for the other piece but did not find(hoping it will turn up on a future hunt). I also found 2 Indians, 4 wheats and some other cool relics. Also found a couple what's its so any help appreciated as usual! Man what a great day! HH!!!

Attachments

• image-2812940182.jpg
    image-2812940182.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 282
  • image-1074048112.jpg
    image-1074048112.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 291
  • image-3047844989.jpg
    image-3047844989.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 239
  • image-3895877985.jpg
    image-3895877985.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 275
  • image-717449784.jpg
    image-717449784.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 242
  • image-4109397942.jpg
    image-4109397942.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 232
  • image-1786458326.jpg
    image-1786458326.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 233
  • image-3787928012.jpg
    image-3787928012.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Upvote 7

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Great hunt! I cant help with the buckle but the other item in the last two pics might be a rein guide. It would have mounted on the front of a wagon for the horses reins to pass through.

VPR

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Great hunt! I cant help with the buckle but the other item in the last two pics might be a rein guide. It would have mounted on the front of a wagon for the horses reins to pass through.

VPR

Thanks, I'll look into it

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a rein guide to me too. Nice finds. I would say you have a great spot. Hope you can get the other half. What an awesome find that would be. Congrats.

Don
HH

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what an awesome find Josh. To think it could have belonged to someone in your family. I really hope you find the other half tomorrow. I am not sure of the type it is but yours does seem to have one unique characteristic. The mount between the wreath and belt loop is not straight but angled. Hopefully someone will be able to ID based on this. That is great you got an ID on the rein guide. I think the butterfly looking piece is a corner mount brass decoration from a box or old clock. At that site i would turn the sensitivity up and discrimination down and dig everything!; Good luck tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, I couldn't find an exact match either. There are some unique characteristics I couldn't find anywhere else. Hope someone can ID it! Thanks for helping me ID the railroad seal too, spot on!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the butterfly looking piece is a corner mount brass decoration from a box or old clock. At that site i would turn the sensitivity up and discrimination down and dig everything!; Good luck tomorrow.

Off of an old steamer trunk?

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the buckle the mystery item is a swinger, It is horse tack

Attachments

• swinger.jpg
    swinger.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what an awesome find Josh. To think it could have belonged to someone in your family. I really hope you find the other half tomorrow. I am not sure of the type it is but yours does seem to have one unique characteristic. The mount between the wreath and belt loop is not straight but angled. Hopefully someone will be able to ID based on this. That is great you got an ID on the rein guide. I think the butterfly looking piece is a corner mount brass decoration from a box or old clock. At that site i would turn the sensitivity up and discrimination down and dig everything!; Good luck tomorrow.

Congrats on the buckle!!!! JimDon is giving some great advice "Sensitivity up Discrimination down and dig everything" i've been hunting on my all metal mode listening to every signal and its been paying off in my hunted out spots. Good luck hope you find more relics, HH.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relic lover said:
Congrats on the buckle the mystery item is a swinger, It is horse tack

Thanks for the ID! That one is solved!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome recoveries. You are on one hot spot. That buckle is sweet. I would be hunting hard to find the other half. It could be CS or NC tongue as I have seen both with the wreath.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME buckle!!! Hope u can find the rest.. That wood make a heck of a center in any display case. Go slow and low my friend.. HH

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehound said:
Awesome recoveries. You are on one hot spot. That buckle is sweet. I would be hunting hard to find the other half. It could be CS or NC tongue as I have seen both with the wreath.

Thanks for the info! So stoked to have found this! My first Confederate relic and in my home county. Next time I visit I'm gonna hit it hard and hopefully find the other part. It's just a trashy area and a lot if digging to be done. The place was occupied up until about 10 years ago, also the railroad track is right by the house. You can see right where I dug it in the pic, real trashy area near the house.

Attachments

• image-1850746503.jpg
    image-1850746503.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 194

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful wreath and great relics. Most relic hunters would give anything to dig this item. Hope that it comes together for you.
HH
TnMtns

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Well done, keep at this spot go slow dig all hit and stop just to eat. HH

Last edited:

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That stuff is really cool , just all kinds of weird stuff. The rope catch and the ornimentle thing are things they just do not make today. Great finds

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnum first great find!!!I am hoping that you are not making a common mistake and IDing your wreath simply from the fact it features the same leaves around the perimeter?We collectors refer to this pattern as Laurel Leaf or Olive Leaves,and there are countless cast brass buckles wth this pattern.One must pay attention to every detail and personally I can not find a Laurel Leaf Wreath in all of my Research material with a bridge(the piece between the belt loop and wreath( quite like yours....including any CS or NC buckles?Could you show an image of the buckle you have Ided your piece from? Thanks!!!

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Great find. Looks like a beautiful spot.

Just an aside, if you can't find the other half, maybe Grandma will let you dig a bit deeper and do some sifting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread